Thread: War; Chains vs Max Gains?

War; Chains vs Max Gains?

I have to assume it is not always best to have chaining as your war strategy... why is it that this is the way so many KDs like to play it, vs trying to work max gains hits for every province? Would this not reap greater gains? I suppose this also comes with the threat of becoming fat and having it all stolen back... But if a KD were to keep up to date intel on all provinces in an opponent KD, so that when attackers come on they can look the the espionage page, and figure out(or be directed)how best to use your offence to make every point of it count...

Just curious what everyone finds the pros/cons are of Chaining vs Max. I believe I have won 1 war that I recall with max gains hitting only, and it was pure ghetto.

Post Fiend
    unless you max gains only on targets with army home it doesnt work well using it the entire war. Purpose of chaining is to overpop provs and force them to release, have their troops desert, and lose offense.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Generally if you're not going to chain, the next best alternative is semi-chains so you at least knock certain provs out of range.

There's so much more to war than just two kds hitting each other back and forth :)

Chaining is better because it attempts to disable a province. Spreading hits around may give your KD more gains, but it doesn't hurt the other KD as much. It's all about the damage inflicted on the opposing KD.
    - "He's kinda awesome..."

chain vs max
    start of war chain team loses lots of land but not much NW, they begin to disable attackers or TMS a few at a time
    After a day or two the max gain KD is up by a large margin in land but a handful of their provinces have been taken out of the fight.
    The fight is now effectively 25vs20. Chain KD switches over to max gains and steals back everything and then some because the max gain KD can no longer keep up with so many provinces disabled. For a min time war max gain is the way to go. for victory, chaining is the way to go.
    RIP: Band of Brothers going out with a crown age 59!

Post Demon
    IMO, T/M strong attacker weak/short kingdoms should semi-chain. T/Ms shell those not targeted, after a while econ/dragons decides the war. Unless the kingdom with too many T/Ms got too far behind, then they lose near min time.

Attacker heavy kingdoms usually want to deep-chain. Cause you can't T/M them down, so to take anyone out you need to force them to release offense. Or max gain and withdraw because you know you will lose the long war, so take stuff while the taking is good.

Attackers are so valuable in part because deep-chain is fairly simple to execute, though intensive. It also causes a "hard stop" of the targeted province, while T/Ms cause a "soft stop" where it just keeps slowly losing effectiveness. That said... good T/Ms totally beat mediocre attackers - good T/Ms are just hard to come by. (Former TFC... ya, we have some good T/Ms with us still! Getto wars, but T/Ms have been wining them.)
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

Max Gain till the cows come home

Enthusiast
    There is a place and time for each... If any advice at all always take advantage of deep chains when u catch a province with very low land coming in or their armies home... let's say you're max gaining and a noon in enemy kingdom bounces his attack with 12 he attack time... You need to drop him to 200 acres asap and most likely he is out of the war...

Needs to get out more
    What if you're target breaks the chain? The counter to this discussion is that chains can stall and the shortcomings of max have been mentioned. I know you can say a good kingdom knows how to chain, but a good player knows chain resistance. An even better kingdom knows chain dispersion. We've seen it and been on both sides of this. Max is reliable because it doesn't necessarily require teamwork. Chains require a little effort kingdom wide because it's not just the focal target. Consider your flanks when you decide who goes swimming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Yes, just organizing intel and getting max gains hits can be much easier than trying to get all my attackers on at once, let alone the whole KD... Obviously there is a time to use either one... notes on when to specifically target a province, as in when he has army home, or out with little/no incoming acres.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    IMO, T/M strong attacker weak/short kingdoms should semi-chain. T/Ms shell those not targeted, after a while econ/dragons decides the war. Unless the kingdom with too many T/Ms got too far behind, then they lose near min time.

Attacker heavy kingdoms usually want to deep-chain. Cause you can't T/M them down, so to take anyone out you need to force them to release offense. Or max gain and withdraw because you know you will lose the long war, so take stuff while the taking is good.

Attackers are so valuable in part because deep-chain is fairly simple to execute, though intensive. It also causes a "hard stop" of the targeted province, while T/Ms cause a "soft stop" where it just keeps slowly losing effectiveness. That said... good T/Ms totally beat mediocre attackers - good T/Ms are just hard to come by. (Former TFC... ya, we have some good T/Ms with us still! Getto wars, but T/Ms have been wining them.)
    Ethan why arent you playing with me right now :(
    Work Safe Custom Theme: http://spahrep.github.io/
    Age 55 TFC - Faery Warrior - Triple Crown (acres,nw,honor) <Unicorn Stampede>
    Age 56 TFC - Faery Warrior <Fen of the Unicorn>
    Age 57 TFC - Elf Mystic - 1st TFC Prince :P (S) <Rarity>
    Age 58 HRS (S) - Elf Mystic <Space Truckin - Deep Purple>
    Age 59 HRS (M) / AC (M) Faery Merchant <Cantaloupe>
    Age 60 AC (council) - Human Sage <Cerulean Frost>
    Age 60b Simians - Orc Tact <Cerulean Frost Rebooted>
    Age 61 - Silly Pink Ghetto Cats - Dwarf Merchant <Starship Unicorn Express>
    Age 62 - A Ghetto - Human Sage - 1M+ nw <Cerulean Unicorn Adventure>
    Age 63 - Another Ghetto
    Daughter of the Fifth House, Holder of the Sacred Chalice of Riix, Heir to the Holy Rings of Betazed.

-- The opinions/rants do not represent my kingdom or its affiliates, only me, and i have a lot of them.

max gain while chaining

Thread Information