Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: kingdom formation

kingdom formation

So, this age I had an urge to participate by helping a friend try to shape up a new ghetto into a kingdom. Neither of us are monarch because we are just burned out. The shocking thing to me in all of this is how freaking hard it is!

Most of you are probably not surprised by this. Most will likely yawn and whatever. That's fine. I just need to say, I am watching it and trying just do my part (I am really time limited this age) and its REALLY hard. First, even those who have the inkling to try to lead (our nubnarch) have to find the time in their lives on top of the desire to juggle everything going on. Its amazing.

Two thoughts flow from this:

1- this has been an amazing game and experience that it is difficult to grasp how hard people have worked to become even marginally competent at this game.

2- starting new kingdoms and growing the game at this point may no longer be possible because of the gap in skill and time/game management knowledge.

It is both wonderful and depressing at the same time.

Post Fiend
    It is very hard.

And the funny thing is that a kingdom full of people not really devoted to the game can be very big at this stage.

I see them as somehow interested, somehow absent...I am a bit lost. It is for sure interesting. :)

that is why you have a council of 5-6 trusted players to run things, all with the same mindset.
    and have 2 monarchs from different time zone, so the kingdom decision us always on time.

Needs to get out more
    I've been an advocate for activity merging. My framework is based on 8 players from 3 kingdoms, but that's variable. Cover the personality needs by each separate core, from t/ms to HA and allow them to operate in their given synergy. The king is mainly for diplo and steward for getting the separate doctrines to jibe. It's not top kingdom boogie, but gets the tough part out of the way. Ideally this would break some Utopia kingdoms into activity levels. Low activity kingdoms could happily lurch along while hyperactives enjoyed the game mutually with others who are as addicted as I am.
    Council would be representatives from each core btw. Steward likely from the most experienced core. The beauty in comparing and borrowing builds and strategies while not dictating another mind numbing, overbearing " kingdom strat ". ;-)
    Only an example: imagine a merge between Rage, old TFC and Free.
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 20-09-2013 at 21:56.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

I don't know what the solution is. I just know that the easiest solution is to kill people off, take monarchy, and invite in minimally competent people. That is not what is best for the game, that is what is best for my sanity.

Its a real bummer.

That is especially true since I would hate to do that as this ghetto has stayed together for two ages so there is some team play/dedication in this ghetto already but those that could become better are held back by many of their KD mates, who are nice people, that just won't do the basics.
    Last edited by Sheister; 21-09-2013 at 12:11.

Enthusiast
    Communication...

You need to makesure it is flowing in KD everyday..it how make a team formed...

Oh I agree, but even though we have an IRC web access, there is whining about how that is too pro for them. I think they will come around, but its sad. all anyone wants to do is war, but they can't even muster a response to war without some ability to coordinate.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheister View Post
    So, this age I had an urge to participate by helping a friend try to shape up a new ghetto into a kingdom. Neither of us are monarch because we are just burned out. The shocking thing to me in all of this is how freaking hard it is!
    It's really not that hard. You just have to be patient and understand that there's a difference between teaching and learning. I can't tell you how many times I've told people before hand how to handle being chained and they said they understood and then they ACTUALLY got chained and freaked out and started releasing wizards and saying "I was gonna die! I only had 800 peasants!!" lol.

If you're building a kd with a lot of players that don't really know how to play you just have to accept the fact that you'll prolly have very limited success at first, but while the new players get more comfortable with the game and your leadership improves, success should follow

What did you think was going to happen? Did you think it was going to be easy and everything would just fall into place? Maybe you live in a fantasy world where everything is sunshine and rainbows but the reality of it is, this is usually how it works when there isn't a set leadership and a clear cut way of doing things.
    Quote Originally Posted by VT2
    I should get a medal for all the common sense I highlight on a daily basis.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<Bishop> I don't dislike Ezzerland
    <Bishop> We are just incompatible

<~Palem> I read that as "snuffleupegas gropes Palem" twice lol

Well part of that equation is not here Palem. That is, I am not trying to lead, I am just trying to help. I am more watching from the side and dropping in opinions from time to time and just trying to give what support I can. I am just watching it unfold as friends try to teach and the resistance is astonishing.

"stop trying to make us pro!"

Its a comment that tells me, more than any other, how broad the gulf between kingdoms playing this game is. That is because all that is being asked is to log in twice a day, share their self intel, and communicate. Its amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by flutterby View Post
    What did you think was going to happen? Did you think it was going to be easy and everything would just fall into place? Maybe you live in a fantasy world where everything is sunshine and rainbows but the reality of it is, this is usually how it works when there isn't a set leadership and a clear cut way of doing things.
    No, I was not expecting it to be easy. This is not a complaint. This is me expressing my admiration 1) for those that can manage to try to do this and 2) for the time that people have put into this game over the years. Read the first post again. There is no complaint.

I just had not appreciated the initial groundwork that goes into assembling the start of coordination that begins to look like a kingdom. That's all I wanted to post about.

I am astonished that people have and can do it. Its really really REALLY impressive.

There is no complaint.
    Then I apologize. I think I got used to being overly negative lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by VT2
    I should get a medal for all the common sense I highlight on a daily basis.

<Bishop> I don't dislike Ezzerland
    <Bishop> We are just incompatible

<~Palem> I read that as "snuffleupegas gropes Palem" twice lol

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Well part of that equation is not here Palem. That is, I am not trying to lead, I am just trying to help. I am more watching from the side and dropping in opinions from time to time and just trying to give what support I can. I am just watching it unfold as friends try to teach and the resistance is astonishing.

"stop trying to make us pro!"

Its a comment that tells me, more than any other, how broad the gulf between kingdoms playing this game is. That is because all that is being asked is to log in twice a day, share their self intel, and communicate. Its amazing.
    Don't let scrubs that insist on handicapping themselves handicap your kd. They either need to meet the minimum requirements, or they need to find a new place to play.

Needs to get out more
    Oh I agree, but even though we have an IRC web access, there is whining about how that is too pro for them. I think they will come around, but its sad. all anyone wants to do is war, but they can't even muster a response to war without some ability to coordinate.
    This is a mind set I can sympathize with, siding with the non-pros. This game is playable sans external aid. When you are use to being in this game the bots, irc and intel storage become second nature. Why not dial back your game( not you, but the royal who) and play raw? I've been in decent kingdoms that have functioned in this way: Thundercats, Incarnation.
    The other thing is why not drag your core to an active merger rather than whittling down disgruntled or inactives.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

Needs to get out more
    My understanding is that the folks in this game have traditional methods to achieve similar goals. Similar personalities attracted to this game may be leaders as personalities, but followers in technique.
    As a kingdom hopping traveller I have seen the patterns which are both comical and a bit tragic: The fanatical megalomaniac cruel steward is a common sight. The overanalyzing avian/cleric that forgets to build WT and cherishes their province over kingdom good. The hyperactive undead that end up staring at each other with nothing to do. The semi-active faery that has it's runes stolen every war. The halfling rogue that is a frustrated HA. The genius orc that is an ace at random attacks but gets chained to dust every war. - Yes, I've seen repeats of the aforementioned a few times over. Lol
    ________
    Weed bowls

Thread Information