Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Usa

Forum Fanatic

Usa

As a Brit who does not follow USA politics, would someone be able to summarise for me these questions :

Why has the statue of liberty and other tourist attractions closed down?

Which 2 big gov parties boss US politics? (In uk we have Labour and Conservative... which 2 US parties would you say these were like and share same values... if they do)

How is US politics set up? Constantly I hear terms "The Senate", "Congress"... what do both mean / represent?

Google could be my friend to find out this info, but I want you to be my friend. I shall think of more questions in future to help me understand US culture.
    Last edited by American Badass; 02-10-2013 at 08:00.

Canadian here, but I'll try my best:

- Statue of Liberty closed down: my guess would be the government shut down that occurred yesterday, which led to the closing of most "non-essential" services provided by the US government. I think around 800,000 government employees were put on unpaid leave. I think the cause had something to do with disagreements on passing the budget to fund Obamacare.

- Big Parties: Republicans and Democrats. I don't know anything about British politics, but my guess is Republicans = Conservatives, and Democrats = Labour.

- Government Setup: there are three branches. Judicial (Supreme Court), Executive (President), and Legislative (Congress). Supreme court consists of 9 judges that are appointed by the president (I think they serve until they choose to retire, and new ones are appointed by the current president) and they interpret laws and stuff. Like for certain big cases, they may rule some law as unconstitutional and it gets removed. Congress creates and passes laws, and does some national budget stuff. The president makes big political decisions about stuff, and has the power to veto (to basically block from passing) some of the things that come out of Congress. Congress is made of two parts, Senate and House of Representatives. I think they essentially both do similar things, but certain actions must start in one branch and not the other, etc. Major difference is that there are only 2 Senators per state, whereas the number of Representatives per state are proportional to population. The Senate is kind of a trade off, to give the smaller states equal footing in some regard, instead of having their views drowned out by more populous states that (literally) get more representation. There are over 400 representatives, and only 100 senators.

Forum Fanatic
    Conservatives in Britain are like "No immigrants, look after the people that work and try to scrap benefit frauds/scroungers."
    Labour in Britain is like "Let immigrants in, make people that work pay ridiculous taxes and give them taxes out to people that CBA to work"

Thanks for clearing up the Government set up. Does the president get overall say on all affairs even above the Supreme Court and can people vote them out? What if one year 6 die and the President in power is a Rebublican?

AB - I am sure you have answered this before, but why is your nick, American Badass when you are from the UK?

Forum Fanatic
    I took over a province in a kd that was using song names as theme and I got Ice Ice Baby :P

Seriously, i got this name as this was the song name i had and it just stuck as all my kd use to recognise me by it and just never been arsed to change it. I also get to tell them this cool story =)
    Before this i was "MrMeatyCrayon"... I should have stuck with that name =(

Postaholic
    Fake war!!!!

See, sounds just as stupid here as when you put it in every other thread.

Can we see some quality instead of quantity.

Does explain a lot, you being a crayon and all.
    War Monkeys War Monger - Contact me if interested in a beating.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Rather than whining, getting pissy and getting on my radar why don't you just .....

Forum Fanatic
    Reported your post for being totally off topic. At least when I post it, it is on topic and relevant to the topic.

AB 4 - 0 neanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by American Badass View Post
    Reported your post for being totally off topic. At least when I post it, it is on topic and relevant to the topic.

AB 4 - 0 neanderthal
    I hope you reported yourself as well as your previous post was totally off topic as well. Good job pwning yourself.

Be more topical, thank you.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Postaholic
    Better put some good "topical" cream on that self inflicted BURN ab.

All good, eh Bishop.
    Last edited by neanderthal; 04-10-2013 at 01:03. Reason: Spelling
    War Monkeys War Monger - Contact me if interested in a beating.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Rather than whining, getting pissy and getting on my radar why don't you just .....

Forum Fanatic
    Can you delete all posts including this one to #5. Thanks Bish/palem or Dharan.

LOL,

USA, we have two political party system the Democrats and the Republicans. Each can be sub divided into different groups each trying to control the individual party. We have the Social Groups of Conservatives and Liberals with the Libertarians who are mixed in for extra flavor. Power we have the Libertarians, Tea Party, 9-12 groups (dying off or joining Tea Party) Who support the Constitution and the Republic (rule of Law). Then their is the Progressives (evil and I'm biases) Big government and less freedom for the individual consume with power and are both Democrats and Republicans. The Media have been paid for by the Big Progressive power and are mainly controlled by the Dem Progressive and the GOP Republicans progressive dream of having that power.

We have the Low Information voters who are more interested in what Hollywood is doing and vote whatever. We have the welfare serfs who are being bought and paid for by the Progressives. The immigrants are being used by the Democrats Progressive to keep and to solidified their power. The Republicans Progressive are sacred to death that the Tea Party will oust them which is happening but the game is still afoot. Tell the truth its a royal mess here!

The government shut down is a crazy battle over power! Who wins the influence of the population will gain control of the government. Our Prez is not telling the truth but the other side isn't much better. We have progressive battling Progressive and the Tea Party trying to gain control of the one party. Thank God for alternate media and a few brave souls who are risking their fortune and have pledge their scared honor to die like warrior poets.

Check out the Drudge Report, Huffington Post, Info Wars and the The Blaze. If you want to see all the craziness in its full gory details! LOL
    Before you can see the truth, you must be willing to accept it.

As a Brit who does not follow USA politics, would someone be able to summarise for me these questions :

Why has the statue of liberty and other tourist attractions closed down?

Which 2 big gov parties boss US politics? (In uk we have Labour and Conservative... which 2 US parties would you say these were like and share same values... if they do)

How is US politics set up? Constantly I hear terms "The Senate", "Congress"... what do both mean / represent?

Google could be my friend to find out this info, but I want you to be my friend. I shall think of more questions in future to help me understand US culture.
    LOL, Terms to know Progressive, Tea Party, Libertarians. Progressive say its a evolution not a revolution. Progressive Big Government and are in both parties. USA is or was designed to be a Republic not a Democracy. Read a '5,000 Year Leap'.

Forum Fanatic
    What is so bad about the ObamaCare Health act? Is it because the Government can not afford it? In the UK we have the NHS (National Health Service) which use to be great but now resources are running thin. We all pay a "National Health" tax that comes automatically out of our pay cheques to pay for it. It is ok but again benefits the welfare state. Is this one of the main reasons people are against it as it benefits welfare peeps?

What is so bad about the ObamaCare Health act? Is it because the Government can not afford it? In the UK we have the NHS (National Health Service) which use to be great but now resources are running thin. We all pay a "National Health" tax that comes automatically out of our pay cheques to pay for it. It is ok but again benefits the welfare state. Is this one of the main reasons people are against it as it benefits welfare peeps?
    First The prez approval polls have dropped to 37% but the Republicans are getting 67% of the blame with the Prez and Democrats getting 49% of the blame for the shut down. Not as bad as the 1995 shut down and the Prez is getting some really bad press on some events.

Affordable Healthcare plan or Obama Care, First the roll out of this plan has been a disaster. Let me talk about why I dislike it because some Americans may like it but the majority of us don't and those who did are having second thoughts about it. First of all the Bill before it came law was 2,000+ pages that took a lawyer to understand. Now that it has been passed into law the regulations have grown to 10,000 pages. Heck most Americans couldn't tell you, nor can I just what the darn thing is suppose to do. Its NOT FREE! you get fine if you don't have health insurance. I'm a Union man and we get exempt from it, while I appreciate that its not right. The ongoing theory is that it was designed to destroy American Health care system so we would be forced to turn it all over to the government. Again a Democrat will have a different opinion than mine. Yes I am a Union man who likes the Tea Party! Irony of American! LOL.

The Prez is trying to cause max pain to the American people in his effort to blame the Republicans for the shut down. I get the feeling this will last a good long time.

Thread Information