Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this confusing?

Is this confusing?

These are prov names that have been since edited by the admins. It doesn't matter as it makes no difference just we are not sure what was wrong.

the tiny orc
    not me the other orc
    wait until next wave
    massacre the NS target
    max gains on humans
    trad march the king
    who cares
    for max gains
    trad march any of the orcs
    hit the blonde dorf
    the annoying mage
    the big faery
    any of the orcs
    the NS target

...and others. Admins put a number in-front of each name, what was the point?

Obviously someone found them confusing if you got reported and thus admins edited your province names.
    We can all see the reasoning behind such naming convention ;-)

There was someone some time a go which post a chat from their private chan, where someone was given an order to hit a province which had "for money" in the name (apparently - they all had such similar words in their names) and he hit off target... on plunder of course.

Now, troll, reveal yourself! ;-)

Utopia Seraphim | All-in-One formatter
    seraphim [ at ] home-world.org | irc.utonet.org -> #seraphim

Postaholic
    It prolly got reported becose if you set chaintargets and ur prov name is 'the big faery' it will be confusing for some :)

Post Fiend

Explan this

I want some explanation here from our beloved "Utopian Lords"!
    We logged in yesterday and realized ALL our province names were changed without explanation. One of us contacted Bishop over irc and he wasn't very talkative (as usual) and just said our names were "confusing". His replies were mainly 1 or 2 word answers.

Our theme this age WAS "the answer to the question "who to hit?"". Example: "any orc", "king", "who cares", "big dwarf", "the chain target" etc. We thought it'd be fun. (Bishop this confused you? Really?) Now they randomly added numbers (1, 2, 3...) in front of every province. Since when is this confusing to any person older than 5?

This is BS. Those province names weren't offensive nor confusing. You have no right to change them! Also, where have you been for the whole of the 1st half of the age? You just NOW realized our names are not appropriate? This is unfair and unjust. Your actions are the only confusing thing here.

From Game Rules:
    http://wiki.utopia-game.com/index.ph..._Kingdom_Names

Players may select names for their province, leader and kingdom, which are visible to other players in the game. As such, these names are subject to the Language & Attitude rules defined above. In addition, the following rules apply:
    - Names may not contain gibberish (for example, ?asdqwe?, ?lkjlkjlkj?, ?542341224? etc)
    - Names may not be designed to be confusingly similar to other names in the game. For example, it is forbidden for the provinces of a kingdom to select names that are deliberately difficult to distinguish from each other.
    - Names may not be designed to be confusing with respect to the normal text of the game. For example, it is forbidden to set a kingdom name that reads like an error message to a novice player.

I don't see in any shape or form how we've breached the rules. The last rule for example states specifically how we are not to use names that are confusing in THE NORMAL TEXT OF THE GAME. ie 'An Unknown province' or 'Under Protection.' It specifically states that. Our province names are however a play on orders given by players such as 'the fireball target' which are not mentioned in any text in the game.

The only rule breached here is by Bishop himself:

Spirit of the Rules

Players attempting to manipulate rules and quirks of the game in ways obviously not intended may be subject to deletion. Because of their nature, these types of circumstances are considered on a case-by-case basis. Users should avoid actions they believe are against the spirit and intent of the game.

He's making up his own rules. He should delete himself.

Bishop or whoever, try to explain this in more than one word. THANK YOU!

Cheers,
    Loke
    Last edited by loky; 30-10-2013 at 09:10. Reason: misspell

Enthusiast
    i saw several kds this age with names way more confusing. im surprised the eye of sauron didnt see them, if he's so fast renaming stuff.

Spam? Unless its a different KD suffering from these intervention of the name change, i think a previous thread has already been created less than 24h ago.
    PyroManiaCs Monarch #Pyromaniacs

Get over it...I doubt anyone cares
    Age 57, 58 #Anno
    Age 59, 60, 61 #RBL

IRC - Matthais

Yea, this is just a retarded move by Bishop. There is obviously not a breach of any of the rules.
    If someone pay credits to change the name/invite people - it means that you buy this certain product, which follows with consumer rights. The consumer rights are then restricted by the product sheet ("rules" in this case), which are limiting the consumer rights. And if the seller then change the product somehow, without any the consent of the buyer and without any legal grounds created by the "rules", makes it not legit, and therefore an illegal act.
    Last edited by BB_Owa; 30-10-2013 at 08:56.

- Names may not be designed to be confusing with respect to the normal text of the game. For example, it is forbidden to set a kingdom name that reads like an error message to a novice player.

There you have it. And you even posted it yourself ;)
    Names such as "King", "Monarch", "Steward", "The big faery" are all along these lines.
    If a kingdom sets a target "King", a new/noob player may hit the actual king/monarch while he is supposed to hit the province with that name.

Can people really be that unknowing? Yes, just as you're just not understanding this rule while you have posted it here yourself.

Post Fiend
    Then why all provinces are renamed, not only those few that you (they) think are doubtful? I'm sure we can find 100+ provs along server than needs renaming if we are strict

I dont know how all your names look so I don't know.
    The point is, the names aren't filtered out by default, so they CAN be taken. If anyone is offended and it gets reported, you're going to get renamed (assuming the report is valid)

Quote Originally Posted by prot View Post

There you have it. And you even posted it yourself ;)
    Names such as "King", "Monarch", "Steward", "The big faery" are all along these lines.
    If a kingdom sets a target "King", a new/noob player may hit the actual king/monarch while he is supposed to hit the province with that name.

Can people really be that unknowing? Yes, just as you're just not understanding this rule while you have posted it here yourself.
    "Normal text of the game", could it be more vauge?. The example that tries to sort it out, states "name that reads like an error message to a novice player" and would not cover this case.

But the thing is, even if some words, like "king" are considered as "normal text of the game", there are plenty of other provs who dont even get close to this. As prov: "who cares", yet they get renamed too - which CLEARLY has nothing to do with the rules.
    Last edited by BB_Owa; 30-10-2013 at 09:22.

Quote Originally Posted by BB_Owa View Post
    "Normal text of the game", could it be more vauge?. The example that tries to sort it out, states "name that reads like an error message to a novice player" and would not cover this case.

But the thing is, even if some words, like "king" are considered as "normal text of the game", there are plenty of other provs who dont even get close to this. As prov: "who cares", yet they get renamed too - which CLEARLY has nothing to do with the rules.
    The example is just what it is, an example. One example to be exact. If you want an example for everything, you'll be writing a rule book that consists of a couple thousand pages just to cover everything that would fall under "the normal text of the game".

I think given the number of provinces that fall under the rules, they probably renamed all of you to make it easier.
    The names in the other thread about this CAN all be confusion to a new/novice player. If it gets reported and you get renamed, you know why.
    (oh, and the argument "Yea but what about the other 500 confusing province names", go report them.)

So, if a few provs had names like king, why did everyone get renamed? anyway, rename the kd to Bishop's bingo...

you came to the forums asking for the community's viewpoint on this matter, yet you are spamming this thread with all of your own kingdom mates opinions.

personally, i feel that those province names will confuse newbies/enemies. i.e the opposing kingdom asking their kingdom mates to keep hitting 'the chain target', and some people might hit the wrong target as intended. This is clearly foul play in my opinion as you are attempting to gain an edge through such means. or perhaps, it could be that you unknowingly named your provinces this way and didnt know that it would cause much confusion. we should not be too quick to judge.

i feel that what the admins have done (inserting numbers infront of each province name) is not unjustified.

in addition, i hate provinces who name their ruler name with a 'dual personality', playing with prefixes and suffices.. it will confuse external data storage parties such as pimp. i cant think of an example offhand, but i believe you guys know what i mean.

and please know that i do not know you, and you do not know me. hence, whatever I have mentioned in this post is from a mutual perspective

-cJ
    Last edited by TheOne; 30-10-2013 at 10:13.

Utopia is just social text-based chess/poker/starcraft/trading
    There is only 1 important strategy in Utopia. Game Theory

Age 57-63 : Pyromaniacs co-leader
    Age 64: Retired ghetto (Sillies)
    Age 65: Retired warring ghetto (Sillies X)

To be continued...

-
    Dont be a retail investor/trader. You will lose shinies.

Thread Information