Thread: Dwarf/Sage

Dwarf/Sage

Hey guys I am posting this question for a kd mate of mine.
    They want to play Dwarf/Sage
    They are new to Utopia and wants to know the Best Build and Science Strat.
    I never played Dwarf before and I am trying to get as much information as I can.
    Please and Thank you for your help.

Forum Fanatic
    You should only play Sage if you know your kingdom can hold their own against top growth kingdoms and any warring kingdom, and are aiming to grow big.

In general, Sage is better for getting good science early, rather than getting high BPA. In your average warring kingdom, 1000-1500 bpa is not too difficult to attain, and after that point Learn attacks become more of an issue than investment. Also, anyone who plays Sage is going to want enough time to use their science cost bonus effectively, at a size where it will truly matter.

Even for big kingdoms, Sage is problematic because it offers nothing but easier science. Better to pick something with an intrinsic that takes effect immediately and is much easier to play early age.

Regular
    If they are new they should not play sage, and it's half age through, so it's a bit late for sage. Better have them play some other role that would suit them better :)
    To pump science sages need to group up, and have their kingdom go for it, so they can have pumps, so sage isn't the best for 'non-top kingdoms' .
    "Their strength is in their numbers"

Forum Fanatic
    Both Sage and Dwarf are not good for new players. Sage as mentioned is very restrictive.

If your newbie must pick Dwarf, the easiest pick is probably going to Cleric for a general-purpose tank. I'd recommend a newbie pick Undead, Human, or Orc depending on what races are present in your kingdom. Hard to go wrong with Human this age once teaching the basics of how to manage an economy, 6/4 elites are just so effective in war and peacetime.

Personally, Dwarf/Mystic mage is what I would go for, supply for the Kingdom and provide good TM support. They're already debuffed when it comes to attacking... Why send Gimley into the battlefields when you can have a full attacker to take that roll xD .. LotR reference

Needs to get out more
    At this stage I would encourage the new player to evaluate their own decision based on time constraint viability. Steer them of their entire idea and they may not react well. We had a very experienced player in our kingdom playing dwarf sage and he was the biggest province we had. I'm in AC so he and many others have departed.

My recommendation would be dwarf tactician. You can introduce the new player to attack timing. The intel gathering is forgiving. It will give the new player a measure of what we mean by activity. It will teach the new player to be attentive to updating spells like mystic aura, quick feet and clear sight and the penalty for forgetting. It's more sophisticated than undead but maybe this player needs to see the game from the founding of his perspective.

For me it's nice to see player choice within a framework. Learning from ones choices with an experienced guide is ideal. Just be sure to hold them accountable if the crying starts. There's no crying in Utopia, but rules were made to be broken.
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 15-02-2014 at 11:59.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

I am back in the game after a 5 year hiatus, playing dwarf/warrior, what you said is remarkable. Will you tell me more in regards to dwarf strat, i am considering dwarf/tact. HOweve r it is nice to have extra general, for multi hits. Still underutilized due to late troops training, could use any/all help! Thanks!

Thread Information