Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Is It Our Problem?

Why Is It Our Problem?

I can't for the life of me figure out why the media insists on acting like Ukraine is an American problem.

What basically happened is this:

Ukraine has been, in some capacity or another, part of the Russian Empire for several hundred years. The Russian Empire (DBA The Soviet Union) fell apart in 1990. Recently a new Franco-German Empire (DBA The European Union) has emerged with the post-modern methodology of conquest by bureaucracy.

Now this new Franco-German Empire attempted to incorporate Ukraine in its usual way. However, Russia is still playing by the old rules where things like tanks and planes matter. They want their old Empire back, and at any rate they sure as hell aren't going to let the Franco-Germans have it. The Franco-Germans are now absolutely shocked and appalled that another power will defend its interests with military power.

But how is this the US's problem? If the Franco-German Empire wants Ukraine, they can go in there and fight for it. I don't think it makes any difference to the US whether the Franco-German Empire or the Russians control Ukraine.

Anything we can knock down and rebuild at taxpayer expense is our problem.
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

because america (corporations) can profit from it. first is the military industrial complex which gets paid per tank/airplane/drone built, and then all of the construction companies that get paid to rebuild the country after we destroy it in the name of liberty and freedom. 'MERICA!!!

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by CPTK View Post
    But how is this the US's problem?
    Because Democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    Because Democracy.
    This conflict has nothing to do with Democracy. If it did, we'd be on Russia's side. The pro-Russian guy was elected in a legit election. The pro-German people overthrew him without an election.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    You're thinking logically. Stop it. That's not a quality of democracy.

It's because of Democracy. End of story.

Enthusiast
    This conflict has nothing to do with Democracy. If it did, we'd be on Russia's side. The pro-Russian guy was elected in a legit election. The pro-German people overthrew him without an election.
    Democracy is by definition the rule of the people.
    The people cannot achieve their will because of the pseudo-democratic charade that is being lead by Yancovic. It's blatantly obvious to everyone he is nothing but a puppet to the strings of Putin, and no longer serves the interest or will of the people.
    To see an entire country raises up against it's leader, because of his corruption and theft of billions of dollars from the people. Poetic justice if you ask me. And a damn good example of rule of the people.

People these days like to joke a lot about democracy. Let me remind you this was once considered as a dream. Something of the highest value. Millions of people fought and died so that their brothers could live freely, without being oppressed by dictators and monarchs.
    People take a little too much for granted the basic liberties they have today.
    You could have easily starved to death in the gulags of Soviet Russia, imprisoned in the death camps of North Korea, gassed in the extermination camps of Nazi Germany, your ashes piling on the hills of Auschwitz and the fields of Treblinka, your blood flowing in the rivers of Poland.
    Democracy is a wonderful thing.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by fawk View Post
    People these days like to joke a lot about democracy. Let me remind you this was once considered as a dream. Something of the highest value. Millions of people fought and died so that their brothers could live freely, without being oppressed by dictators and monarchs.
    You can live free and enjoy liberty without democracy.
    Case in point: The United States of America is a democratic republic, not a democracy. Democracy is a nightmare and it's a nightmare because people are stupid. I'll let Tommy Lee Jones explain that second part:
    Last edited by Palem; 04-03-2014 at 02:31.

But Democracy is not an issue in this situation.

No one is doing anything vis-a-vis Ukraine because of Democracy. This is purely a geopolitical game.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    It has everything to do with Democracy because 'merica

But Democracy is not an issue in this situation.

No one is doing anything vis-a-vis Ukraine because of Democracy. This is purely a geopolitical game.
    You seem to miss the point, everything USA does is for Democracy and freedom!

Forum Fanatic
    Because the ministry of truth is telling us that we have always been at war with Russia, basically. Telling the masses that Putin hates gays didn't produce the desired effect.

I don't really pay attention to the media circus these days. It used to be fun to figure out what they were really trying to tell us, but now I can pretty much guess what the next news report will be.

Forum Addict
    Why is it the problem of U.S. what happens in Ukraine right now? Well I guess you don't really care much for other people outside of your nation so I'll just give you another reason then.

It's your problem because YOU CAUSED IT. You set the example that international law can be breached without consequence and you caused so much hate for America in the world and all these guys blinded by their hate toward U.S. are now cheering for Putin to play strong man and 'show the decadent westerners'. And he knows it.

It's about setting an example. If Russia can just invade without even trying any diplomacy at all because they are strong enough to do so, what do you think other nations will learn from this? How do you think China will behave once they are done upgrading their military power enough?

Good luck to us all putting those spirits back in the box now. I sure hope we don't need another WW to learn again why living peacefully and solving problems diplomatically was a good idea. Because there is no guarantee that the world will survive it.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyB View Post
    Why is it the problem of U.S. what happens in Ukraine right now? Well I guess you don't really care much for other people outside of your nation so I'll just give you another reason then.

It's your problem because YOU CAUSED IT. You set the example that international law can be breached without consequence and you caused so much hate for America in the world and all these guys blinded by their hate toward U.S. are now cheering for Putin to play strong man and 'show the decadent westerners'. And he knows it.

It's about setting an example. If Russia can just invade without even trying any diplomacy at all because they are strong enough to do so, what do you think other nations will learn from this? How do you think China will behave once they are done upgrading their military power enough?

Good luck to us all putting those spirits back in the box now. I sure hope we don't need another WW to learn again why living peacefully and solving problems diplomatically was a good idea. Because there is no guarantee that the world will survive it.
    You mean like how we invaded Syria?
    Oh...wait...=\

What international law did the US breach?

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    You mean like how we invaded Syria?
    Oh...wait...=\

What international law did the US breach?
    Sorry, my post was even longer before I deleted some stuff so I forgot to mention the invasion of Iraq. Regardless of wether any law was breached or not (do not invade other countries unilaterally maybe?), it caused what was formally known as 'international alliance' to fall apart and set a bad example. Syria is a good example, no one invaded there. Not only because the Syrian military is considerably stronger than Saddam's but also because they knew it would give Russia another excuse to do the same.

Well I guess not invading Syria wasn't enough to stop Putin, eh? It's not really about the U.S. alone. It's just that the illusion of an international alliance standing up for human rights has been shattered and now we face the consequences of that.

Thread Information