Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prolonged Hostile

Regular

Prolonged Hostile

I have 20% Homes and my province is a juggernaut. I can easily smash anyone in the other kd multiple times. However, they have twice as many T/M as my kd and they're just sitting their oping us down and they won't hit the war button. So the war hasn't started and already my province is overpopulated. Since my kingdom is attacker heavy, how are we supposed to combat this strategy? I'm thinking there is no good solution except to go into Fortified and cancel the war. This hostile has been going for about 12 hours and they had ample time to begin the war. Is this normal? What should we do in this situation?

Scribe
    Yeah its a normal strategy to prolong hostile if they have op superiority. If you guys have the offense for it, then start organizing hits on their TMs to start bringing them down. If you have relations then get an elf to cast pitfalls, and have an attacker spam BG, then start dropping them.

Regular
    Thanks for the help. I decided to make some attacks and I feel good about it.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    12 hours isn't that long. That's a pretty short hostile period if you didn't agree on a declare date.

and I'd hate to say it, but I warned you about homes. Lotta good they're doing you now ;)

Regular
    Lol. I didn't realize that prolonging hostile was a common tactic, in my defense :) They did still allow me to start with a big army but I was overpopped really quickly and immediately needed to request aid. Against an experienced kd they'd probably hit me with Explosions and constantly steal from me too.

What is your opinion on Armouries in a war build for Undead Cleric?

*Edit* I can understand that 12 hours may not be long but it's very apparent they're going to go for much longer and I didn't want to be idle and watch my kd get flattened by that strategy lol.
    Last edited by Shadowjack; 03-03-2014 at 12:30.

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    12 hours isn't that long. That's a pretty short hostile period if you didn't agree on a declare date.

and I'd hate to say it, but I warned you about homes. Lotta good they're doing you now ;)

some gotta learn the hard way tho ,you know that

Monsters

Fighting the world back Proudly since Age 35

#MONSTERS

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder TA View Post
    some gotta learn the hard way tho ,you know that
    Haha I'd rather learn the hard way so I can truly understand the game. Especially with how much the vets disagree on certain topics. Now I have first hand experience to draw upon for all future ages :)

Veteran
    If you need econ, banks not armories will be the consensus here :) Also its not 100% clear but it sounds like you were leaving your army home hoping for them to push the button. Armies home die, hit them to get your troops out or if you are in a situation where you are playing meter games it is probably best to throw a random to reclaim some land if they are taking yours or pillage to help the war fund.

Forum Fanatic
    shadowjack you should lose the homes man, homes are bad on an attacker

The Jerks.

Scribe
    Homes have some value for an attacker (moreso an Undead), if you fill the space with elites and aren't the most threatening attacker in the kingdom. Gives you a jumpstart on pop regrowth and I would just start phasing them out for other buildings with incoming acres.

Needs to get out more
    I run undead cleric and I was on a bad luck streak here before war: everybody and his brother was hitting me out of war. I retaliate essentially all hits and some go away while other kingdoms freak out. The main problem was I couldn't get my buildings up. I even tried accelerated build with builders boon and guess what? The next hit came 2 hours before my building were up.
    So I go into war with 140 barren acres, low gold etc. But I run no homes and I'm completely functional if ragged. A little secret I'll share: I save my books between wars unless I'm so compacted I need the boost. This leaves me to be essentially a land target and I run a durable strat with hospitals, gs with rax to get moving if chained.
    Many agree my build strats are garbage, but they serve my system. Homes are tough to run without decent magic resistance and to my mind are better suited to races like Orc with reflect and dwarf with mystic aura.
    Cleric durability can allow you to run a smaller army that can sustain. Sometimes I overtrain thieves to have a cache' of soldiers that can't be hit by common fader ops like meteors. It's a balancing act.

Edit: I tend to like natebanes approach to things and have witnessed some awesome home strat attackers. These were generally in a core setup so the resilience was more likely to effect war. As a stand alone strat it invites focussed shelling.
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 03-03-2014 at 21:58.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Enthusiast
    HERE WE GOOOO!

1. homes - good on an attacker.
    1 home = Increases your maximum population by 8 = 8 elites = 56 MO for undeads/orcs.
    1 stable = 60 horses = 60 MO for undeads/orcs.
    (I skip math for TG's.. the concept is similar)
    The MO bonus is almost the same. Having homes will increase your Building Efficiency, therefor increasing bonus MO from TGs, and increased benefits from other buildings.
    The downside to homes is that when you get hit, you lose 33 popluation space for each home lost, vs the normal 25 pop space.
    You are slightly more prone to deep chains. But overall homes are fine and even recommended for attackers that have strong elites.

2. 12 hours is a short hostile

3. Kingdoms that have many t/ms and few attackers will sometimes try to draw out hostile.
    This offers them protection from being deep chained if the enemy kingdom has more attackers then them.
    And in the mean while they can continue to do heavy damage with their t/ms.
    In this position, since the kingdom with more attackers can't really deep chain anyone, it's not really efficient targeting attackers.
    The kingdom with more attackers would want to hit for max gains on enemy t/ms. Keep the pressure up and keep attacking all the time.
    If they decide to declare, you can start chaining the targets you choose accordingly.

Generally speaking, if your kingdom is active, you can do more damage to them by attacking them actively, then what they can do to you by prolonging hostile.

Forum Fanatic
    Banks and science do more than homes have in along time if you run the actual numbers.

Monsters

Fighting the world back Proudly since Age 35

#MONSTERS

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder TA View Post
    Banks and science do more than homes have in along time if you run the actual numbers.

Forum Fanatic
    Homes are good for pumping and prep, less good for war.

Thread Information