Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prolonged Hostile

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zauper View Post
    Homes are good for pumping and prep, less good for war.
    True.. (same could be said about stables too).. Feel free to raze and switch them, or just stop building them as war progresses, shifting more into tg's/rax/whatever..

Forum Fanatic
    ^^^^^

Monsters

Fighting the world back Proudly since Age 35

#MONSTERS

Forum Fanatic
    The ****ty part of having too many homes is that it is possible to overpop a province just through tornado and arson, while it is much harder to do with no homes.

The most important thing to prolonged hostiles - don't let up the pressure with attackers, ever. Leaving your armies home is a surefire way to get declared on and chained armies in, unless you are willing to be on notice 24/7 to send out upon declaration.

Attackers have all of the important advantages in long hostile, as ops are weaker and landchains are problematic.
    It is helpful to do more than landgrabs in order to make the most of this, otherwise you bloat too quickly and lose most of those advantages. Learn attacks are good if the target has science worth taking. Massacre is only good if you have the ability to capitalize on massacre during the hostile, otherwise GBP prevents doing enough damage with massacre to be useful...

1 home gives 8 leets? 100% draft?

Forum Fanatic
    Usually peasants/acre are fixed to a certain mark, so yeah all of that population should be trained. It is just a matter of having the time to draft the necessary soldiers and generate the funds for training. In practice it does mean paying higher wages (boo) and spending more time to pump (meh), but that isn't so difficult to deal with. Also of note is that homes are more expensive to fill than stables by a pretty large margin, which is why armories and eowcf/fort are vital along with time spent on low draft to accumulate the necessary money to support training.

Having an extra 20+ mod OPA does wonderful things for an opening wave and chain resistance, due to moar incoming acres, while doing moar damage as well. While growing acres has a similar effect as building homes, acres carry far more nw weight and an attacker more than anyone does not want to hold onto acres when he has alternatives.

Regular
    I have to agree that Homes are not optimal for Attackers. It did not work out well at all but I'm still glad that I tried it. On the bright side I have been heavily op'd and I still have a decent army even after being chained as well. But I'd much prefer other buildings in the future.

Forum Fanatic
    Are you being chained out of war or in war?

Homes on attacker are pretty bad if you're not using your army optimally, but if you're not using offense optimally than you're not playing an effective attacker.

There is little that protects a province from being op raped except watchtowers, and even that protection is imperfect at best. You said yourself you didn't need watchtowers, it should not be a surprise that you eat ops left and right.

Regular
    The bulk of the damage I received was from being attacked. As usual, thievery damage has been minimal thus far. It was present but not enough so to justify allocating 10%+ WT to my build. I'd argue that being able to start with a larger army than normal has essentially nullified the thievery damage I received. The problem with Homes came from being attacked as well as hit by Tornadoes. This caused financial turmoil but did not result in deserting troops.

I was chained during war although I did receive some hits during Hostile as well.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
    1 home gives 8 leets? 100% draft?
    Assume you reached your goals of 3 tpa, 1 wpa, and 6 peasants per acre.
    You now build 1 home. You gain 8 extra population space. You can use those 8 to train elites.
    Your peasants per acre and other values stay the same. You offense goes up.
    Basically because of the bonus pop space from homes you can draft higher and keep the same amount of peasants..

Forum Fanatic
    what is the obsession with peasants and BE.
    your 1% home is not doing more for you than 1% of another building during war.

The Jerks.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by fawk View Post
    HERE WE GOOOO!
    1 home = Increases your maximum population by 8 = 8 elites = 56 MO for undeads/orcs.
    You cant get 100% draft rate out of those homes.
    If homes increase max pop by 8...

1 homes = 8 increase @ 70% draft = 5 elites or 25 MO for Undeads/Orcs.

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggis View Post
    You cant get 100% draft rate out of those homes.
    If homes increase max pop by 8...

1 homes = 8 increase @ 70% draft = 5 elites or 25 MO for Undeads/Orcs.
    The point is that you can draft however high you like, given sufficient time to pump. Usually provinces can manage to draft to 75-80% and remain self-sufficient in training everything they need.
    In practice wages prevent drafting too high and it does take longer, so it's not strictly a 100% conversion, but for most provinces it is close enough. Unless waving a designated target immediately after pump, provinces will probably want to keep 5-6 peasants/acre in order to keep paying troops and for population growth, regardless of how many homes they have.
    Using Homes during the pump and razing afterwards is the easiest way to attain draft rates >80%, if such a thing is desired.

The above also neglects population science and honor bonuses, which usually add 10-12% population, increasing the base gain of Homes from 8 to almost 9.
    Last edited by noobium; 05-03-2014 at 20:37.

Post Demon
    tiggis, that argument was already refuted by fawk...

Also, since when is five times seven twentyfive? I must agree that the extra BE is barely worth it (2% perhaps).
    It's actually 5.6x7 = 39.2 according to your draft rates.

My question is why people are running such high NPA nowadays? Is it better to have 150K off at 1500 acres with a net change of 5K/hour than to have 150K off at 2000 acres with a net change of 40K/hour? The 500 extra acres are only 25K extra NW. Also, because your BE is way higher your Networth/offense ratio won't be much worse.

Forum Fanatic
    Bukharistan:
    Yes, generally having higher NPA is better than lower NPA because looking at OPNW and DPNW are noob traps; what matters is your offense and your defense.

Put differently, if you're 2k acres and i'm 1500 acres, and we have the same nw, I will have more offense and/or defense and/or twpa than you. If we hit eachother, and I take 10% of your land, I will take 200 acres. If you hit me and take 10% of my land, you will take 150 acres.

BE doesn't make up for that difference.
    Last edited by Zauper; 10-03-2014 at 14:54.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zauper View Post
    Homes are good for pumping and prep, less good for war.
    +1.

Thread Information