Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Opinion on Elf Strategy

Regular
    What would your ideal Elf A/M building strat be noobium? Also, please explain why I should not MV? Not sure I'm in a ghetto though, we should have 3 to 4 war wins by age end and this kd has undergone a ton of roster changes and has a good deal of vets coupled with good leadership.

Enthusiast
    Basically what the others said. If you are mystic then you should intend to be a MS bot. In order to do this you need to have 4x the targets wpa minimum for decent success. A/m demands far too much mpa space(since you need elites which opens you to easier massacre) and far too much building space(since you need all those pesky war buildings) to sustain both the necessary wpa and the necessary rune amounts. Not to mention if you do gain acres then you just reduce your wpa and tower % which only hurts your ms ability. With elf/wh you can nm/fb basically any core with pretty nominal raw wpa commitment. Saph is also a serious slutmuffin when it comes to magic ops.

Regular
    I see. That is disappointing but I guess it would be fairly overpowered if this concept was actually viable. I was wondering how brutal NM spam is. I'm thinking it's quite incredible but I don't have a clear idea of how useful having an Elf A/M would be over just having a regular heavy attacker such as UD.

Post Fiend
    Just run 10 epa w/horses, 7 dspa, 3 tpa and 4 wpa and you will be ok.
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat!

Needs to get out more
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowjack View Post
    I see. That is disappointing but I guess it would be fairly overpowered if this concept was actually viable. I was wondering how brutal NM spam is. I'm thinking it's quite incredible but I don't have a clear idea of how useful having an Elf A/M would be over just having a regular heavy attacker such as UD.
    It's nice, but I've been part in nm barrage prelude to waves. I have seen lone elves use nm to tailor defenses for their attacks. Best I've seen was some mute in Aggression is the Liquor(defunct kingdom). He was some crabby guy when he chatted but had a knack for knocking heads. Pure lonewolf though.

Elf can be lots of fun. If your trying to do kingdom work( ms) that's one thing, but as a direct fire A/M vs a particular enemy I think could be the real deal. Tac is a cute fit and WH when it counts in war. I built gs to get the most out of my dspecs when I ran elf cleric. I sat and took attacks with very low losses, thus retaining a mid nw position as attacker. Chain feeding was what I emerged as war went on. I only got stronger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Forum Fanatic
    For an elf, you should have a t/m build, but enough elites/acre to hit a weakened or fattened attacker. Pick an hour to hit, preferably along with most of your other provinces, and drop said fattened attacker before he can retaliate. Doing it this way will assure getting acres where your kingdom would want them with the minimum risk. Because you're only hitting once a day like this (if that), growth can be controlled to allow time to build up tpa and watchtowers/td.

This isn't always possible when fighting kingdoms with attackers close to each other in size, but if there are only a few really dangerous offenses left it work awesomely, as there wind up being too few attackers to really bring down the Elf in one go.

I wouldn't waste acres on stables with Elf, because Elf is not an army-in-army-out race and they have so many higher priorities. High Forts and td+watchtowers would cover both defense and Elf's cruddy thief strength well, and of course they need plenty of towers and guilds in order to be an effective mage. Beyond that libraries for better channeling science take a much higher priority than they do for most province types.

I would stay the hell away from: Merchant, Cleric, Tactician, and Warrior, under most circumstances, and Sage if I'm in anything that isn't able to grow big. Warrior winds up being the best of that lot, as it compensates for Elf's crappy space and nw efficiency and works better for multitapping defenseless targets. Tactician is only good for CS and reduced thief losses on intel, and that second one is dubious at best. War Hero is okay. Mystic is the best choice for an MS cannon (which is the biggest reason most kingdoms play Elf).

Post Fiend

Elf A/T/M History

Here is my Elf Mystic's history:

Highest Networth 397175
    Highest Land Area 2552
    Highest Honor 2181
    Total Land Explored 2593
    Total Attacks Made 68
    Total Wins 45
    Wins Against Larger Opponents 11
    Average Relative Opponent Networth 93%
    Total Land Gained in Combat 5235
    Attacks Suffered 86
    Times Defeated 70
    Total Land Lost in Combat 7857
    Thievery Operations Attempted 2225
    Successful Thievery Operations 1304
    Spells Attempted 1720
    Successful Spells 1249

I think most of my failed attacks were conquest, and I have hardly explored anything but I have Paradised and Land Lusted lots and lots of acres. I've been able to hold my own against most attackers and I do use Elf as in/out army for attacking. I've only been in one war, and we lost. Really fun age sofar though. I have ripped a few provinces apart with Amnesias, it's my favourite spell to use on people I don't like.
    Last edited by Billah; 05-03-2014 at 04:45.
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat!

Forum Fanatic
    In ghetto Elf can run just about anything and function as a powerhouse, because ghettos don't chain, massacre, or use thief ops anywhere near their maximum effectiveness. Against a half decent kingdom an Elf still has to worry about landchains or massacres, because good kingdoms are going to recognize the threat an Elf with strong offense poses.

Middling kingdoms often don't know how to handle Elves, and often fail to appreciate how useful incoming acres are for an Elf. It's hard to talk tactics with people who are afraid to drop an Elf because of boosting their wpa, or dealing with Elves who are afraid to hit because they don't like their wpa+tpa dropping. Generally speaking, if an elf can't take in 25-50% of their acres and still be a reasonably effective mage, they were probably not that effective to begin with. Sometimes it makes sense to pick one Elf to hold their growth in order to cast MS on difficult targets, but a kingdom should only require one such province. Most other times I'd rather trade a chance at higher fail rates for more peasant and troop space, in addition to denying acres to enemies.

Regular
    Yeah a lot comes down to what you define am as and what level you play at of course. If we're talking about someone logging NM waving and hitting then my preference would be Elf/WH in general. If you play at a level where drakes are rarely constant / your KD is good at killing them / you're good at stopping the enemy funding them / they're not that good then my personal preference would be Tact for the acres saving of rax, defensive thief boost of CS and the fact you can put the stealth to good use for 1 thief perfect intel. That does, of course, depend on not being draked very much though.

If you're talking about a mage that can hit chained target then Elf/Mystic is perfectly viable, though my personal preference at this point in time is Halfer/Mystic.

Post Fiend
    Elf attacking mage is perfectly playable. But you need to be very active and a good attacker. All the damage you are able to deal on three fronts, military, magic and thievery, just make it incredibly fun to play. Elf has high defence def specs that open more space for offence and elf defence is hard to kill, so durable. You MUST run horses, hopefully for ten EPA. If you have every elite mounted it adds 20% to your offence and stables are not affected by BE. What you want to do ideally is mod your offence so every elite has around 7 mod offence. Ten of those an acre is 70 OPA. If you also run 7 DSPA you will allways have more than 35 dpa home. On top of this, with good sci and homes it is possible to run those military numbers along with 4 raw WPA and 3 raw TPA or near. You offence should be high enough to plunder people and tpa good enough to find people to steal fron if you look hard. 4 raw elf wpa is enough for me to MS pretty much anybody. Playing in my ghetto if someone hits me i will hit them back with pitfalld and ambush +TM+ sometimes a conquest or another TM. If a kingdom hits me in particular really hard to where i get ops i will ms the ones who hit me and then systematically amnesia esch province that hit me for at least a quarter million books. If a kingdom is hitting other people in my kingdom and i get ops i will steal runes and dedicate all mana to land lust. During war 20 towers is necessary, also, hospitals to build on the Elf durability. I can nightmare and night strike people before i hit as well.
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat!

Enthusiast
    Just had a hostile with a bunch of elf/wh. Played them at 10-11epa/10-11dspa/4tpa/4.5-5wpa. They're quite strong, but as noted, any hybrid mage will be fairly channeling sci dependent(and of course needs to be larger than 1k acres).

Be big in nw distribution and get sci seems to be the mantra.

Works for me.

I like elf as you've always got something you can do if you can play a bit.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowjack View Post
    Going to add some miscellaneous questions here.

1. What tpa and wpa do you like to use for attackers and why? (feel free to state reasoning for special cases)
    2. Under what circumstances should I release thieves and is it ever okay to release all of them?
    3. What wpa in general is required to take on the role of blanketing Greed and Storms as an attacker?
    4. How useful is it to have an Orc Merchant dragon slayer?
    5. When and why should Merchant be used on an attacker? I like it for the free credits especially which add nice sustainability to a province. But it seems like most people don't like it. Are they underestimating Merchant?
    Yes I am playing attacker/thief with AM it is a very nasty combo

Thread Information