Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kingdom level strategy age 61

Enthusiast
    You need atleast 2 fae or dorf in top play. And for most of the game elves/halfers are much better turtles than humans.

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    Seriously Faery WH? Noone in their right mind will send army out with Faery unless that province has 0 def. If you go against an organized kingdom, Faery/Halfing sending out will guarantee a deep chaịn
    #2 fae on the server is a WH and has attacked for substantial acres. Hell, the #1 is a fae who has gained a lot through hitting as well.

4/5 isn't really any worse than any race that uses ospecs to hit.

Scribe
    suggestive warring builds for human and dwarf cores:

4 elf mystic
    3 faery war hero
    4 human mystic
    6 human war hero
    8 undead tactician

For human core, I think something similar did fairly well this age and see no changes that nerf this mix. Human mystic gets more ToG in war and wiz production to support growth.

4 elf mystic
    3 faery war hero
    10 dwarf merchant
    8 orc war hero

For the dwarf core start off very aggressive and build up credits. After couple days convert dwarves over to a more defensive build and orcs feed them up with free solds. Core has solid magic defensive spells as well.

Disagree, but good stuff.
    Last edited by makeo; 12-03-2014 at 19:52. Reason: Too drunk.

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Zauper View Post
    Why all the love for humans? In terms of military, they lagged behind pretty much anything else this age until around 1500-2000 BPA, which most of the server never reaches, and most of the other races got elite buffs. Sure, they got some more income, but their relative income will be weaker next age than this age, because TOG is more widely available.
    Those other races are generally less capable of playing Merchant, particularly the attacker options, and Humans/Faeries get ToG without picking Merchant which otherwise is a pretty bad personality. Are you really running Orc or Undead Merchants outside of a growth kingdom, or as some kind of challenge?

Disagree that Human is bad outside the top. It is plenty fine. Looking at Human in fixed niches like turtle attacker or pure attacker isn't the point - it's their 6/4 elite that allows them to play as both with nothing besides a change in buildings and growth. The only problem for small kingdom humans is their punishing slow start (and for kingdoms that don't grow much, this isn't a great issue) and the difficulty of ghetto kingdoms to pump and gain science (and most of the problems ghettos have in pumping and securing science are just their own pure stupidity, as I know all too well from experience; they won't get top-kd level science, but most ghettos could manage 3-4mil total books by mid-late age just by not doing ghetto stupidities and actually bothering to play the game outside of war).

Dwarf is probably more noob-friendly and in many respects better than Human, but they still have to pick Merch to get ToG, and Merch otherwise is pretty nasty for Dwarf.

Pure attacker setups are the most common go-to in ghettos and they can work in many situations, but they have one bad side for ghettos - they lock the ghetto into playing in a way where they pretty much cannot win long wars, and the strategies they use are one-dimensional and relatively easy to counter. Orcs, Avians, and to a lesser extent Undeads are not sustainable in long wars, and once landchains start to break down after a few days to a week tops, the ghetto invariably falls into stagnation and it becomes a matter of who is lucky enough to have more defensive provs standing, or swapping hits back and forth until someone gets bored. Swapping some of those attackers for Humans or Dwarves sacrifices some early power and sustainability for provinces which are much more versatile for things besides attacking, both of which function well enough if they are targetted for chains.
    Last edited by noobium; 12-03-2014 at 20:56.

Regular
    what's the point of going war hero on any race? Seems useless to me.

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by noobium View Post
    Those other races are generally less capable of playing Merchant, particularly the attacker options, and Humans get ToG without picking Merchant which otherwise is a pretty bad personality.
    The races that human are competitive with human at 1.5-2k BPA (elf, halfling, fae) either have access to tog, or are capable of playing merchant. (or, frankly, in the case of halflings, don't really need the econ boost)

Post Fiend
    I was strongly considering playing a halfling a/t next age, probably as merchant (for all the credits and easy money to replenish thieves) or war hero (damn them dragons). After reading all this, I now think I must be thinking very poorly =(. Haha, is it better to be dwarf or human rogue a/t?

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by shadoweminence View Post
    what's the point of going war hero on any race? Seems useless to me.
    In the case of humans or other defensive provinces, the reduction in train time creates the higher likelihood of feeding that province to unbreakable before opponent can react. They maintain the ability to continue attacking undead without getting the econ penalty or reduced defense penalty to open them up to attacks. War spoils is situationally useful and immune to dragons is powerful.

On a TM immunity to sapphires is pretty awesome to continue doing supporting ops and maintaining economy.

On an Orc it lets them abuse their free draft bonus more effectively, ignoring pop growth pen from plague and draft reduction from dragons. You can set up a decent trade system with free solds to provs with ToG. If rest of kd has awesome econ, they can help rebuild the orcs offense quickly.

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    Seriously Faery WH? Noone in their right mind will send army out with Faery unless that province has 0 def. If you go against an organized kingdom, Faery/Halfing sending out will guarantee a deep chain
    Depends on timing. Back in age 56 I loved to expose my Halfer (same army as Fae this age) to kingdoms who thought "ooh, Halfer, imma chain", only to laugh as those kingdoms didn't have the offense to inflict enough overpop damage to be worthwhile. Then they would spam nightmares and try conquesting. It was awesome to see people waste so much on a province that they couldn't really kill.

Normally it is worth it to be willing to sacrifice one or two defensive provinces by exposing them slightly, in order to bring down attackers and stack the acres where they're going to be useful. This is especially true if a kingdom has attackers that can clean-break the defensive province anyway, or the short-term damage from chaining is necessary to avoid being outhit and letting the other kingdom gain too much / inflict too much damage to have any hope of winning long-term.

Forum Fanatic
    The races that human are competitive with human at 1.5-2k BPA (elf, halfling, fae) either have access to tog, or are capable of playing merchant. (or, frankly, in the case of halflings, don't really need the econ boost)
    But none of those races are so effective as attackers as Human, because none have a 6-point offensive unit (one that doubles as a defensive unit to boot). This is pretty important if you were to use 15 provinces between those 4 races and want to be able to chain anything effectively without a ton of ops to soften targets.

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by noobium View Post
    But none of those races are so effective as attackers as Human, because none have a 6-point offensive unit (one that doubles as a defensive unit to boot). This is pretty important if you were to use 15 provinces between those 4 races and want to be able to chain anything effectively without a ton of ops to soften targets.
    Run the numbers and come back. You'll find that the human needs 1.5-2k BPA to match their numbers. The pop bonus and TPA/WPA bonuses are huge for relmil.

Post Fiend
    my experience has been that in recent ages, warring has evolved into two realms: attackers, and T/M's.

ie attackers vs attackers make all T/M's UB, then its who's T/M's trump the other.

i would model my kingdom setup keeping this in mind.

Strategy Moderator
    Run the numbers and come back. You'll find that the human needs 1.5-2k BPA to match their numbers. The pop bonus and TPA/WPA bonuses are huge for relmil.
    typical play in war teir/ghetto lends itself very well to human. The options humans have are as attackers and play out like this:
    1. active but not army in army out. Thus if you're army in you have a massive def that discourages geting hit army in as it'll be mostly single taps.
    2. ability to recover from chains. you zero def an enemy kds attackers. you get chained release all you def, leave 90% of your leets home and then hit zero def atttackers to regain land. 2 waves of that and you've got enough pop space to receive aid/retrain def using credits.
    3. ability to train all leet pre war and save up spec credits, war starts you have a "safe" econ advantage stored up.

With that said i dont like human because 1. it requires alot of micro manage of your attacker core. Every prov will need an individual build based on size in kd/enemy facing and then must individually adapt their builds as war progresses. 2. it takes FOREVER to pump to 4-5-6 peasants/acre due to insane leets costs. Not worth the wait in my opinion.

As far as kd setup. Next age goes 1 feary rogue, 1 feary mystic, 6 elf mystics, 6 halfer rogues(argueably clearic/sage could work), 11 orc warrior. Size them as faeries=biggest in kd, 70-80 dpa with high tpa/wpa. Then all your orcs max mod off u can run consider even homes as you just want as much off as you can. Elf/Halfer at the bottom all running hybrid and pure leet pre war.

Your 2 fearies if big enough and low enough def can be safeish from elfs/halfer and can op out hard. your orcs are sized big enough that they either have to be chained or they massacre enemy t/m's and cause insane damage. hybrids grow, then turtle and give you mid war unbreakables.

Needs to get out more
    I'll still take 3 of each personality and race with my extra undead rogue. Being sure to assign avians to the Richard Sherman clones with the rest falling into place.

Preliminary Virtual Kingdom ~ The Organ Inn ~
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 13-03-2014 at 01:18.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Thread Information