Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mage Next Age

Regular

Mage Next Age

My goal for next age is to be a mage. However, I have never played this role before, so I would like some advice.

What's better for being an unbreakable mage? Faery or Elf? Additionally, if I'm interested in getting some decent thievery work in and resisting ops like AW, what's my best option?

I'm kind of torn between Elf Mystic or Faery Rogue. I like the Elf for the 30% wpa and the 5 defense spec unit. But I like the Faery for the access to all ratial spells plus inherent extra mana per tick. Combined with rogue that has all thievery ops and extra stealth per tick.

I don't plan to do a lot of attacking like I did when I played Halfling Rogue, but I want something that will have the most defense to prevent attacks. I'm planning on running on the higher end of my kingdom, if I'm not the largest province.

Suggestions of Race/Personality and strat to go with it?
    Last edited by Elanesse; 14-03-2014 at 03:27.

Will you use rogue ops if you pick fae/rogue?

Is it required that you be able to cast MS? Im guessing not from your post.

If no to both i would likely go with faery/sage. Elf merchant is significantly stronger than an elf could manage this age however. Would still tip my hat towards faery as you do not need to sacrifice a personality for ToG that provides no other benefits if not attacking
    - zilyana -
    - Future Owner of the coveted Nubhat -
    - Screw-Up Extroadinaire -

Forum Fanatic
    Rogue is only good if you are willing to use a substantial number of them, your goal is strictly war wins, and you have enough of an ability to survive the rough early war where Rogue is at a substantial disadvantage. Faery is a better superthief than Halfer, at least at the outset of war.

The best defenders will probably be Fae/Sage, Fae/WH, Elf/WH, Elf/Mystic, Elf/Merchant, in that rough order. Bump up Elf/Merchant a place if the kingdom lacks many races that can ToG. Elf/Mystic imo is the most effective pick if you are only using 3-5 t/m type provinces... even if you appear to have too many MSers, it is helpful to have backups in case one Mystic gets trashed, and the extra mana is good for ops besides MS. It might not be the best on paper, but it is the easiest to operate and still effective enough. I wouldn't want so few t/ms in a warring kingdom but ymmv.

Post Fiend
    I feel like this question can go in here too... I'm considering elf mystic as an A/M. I am very active, and my goal is to keep up pitfalls and chastity on key targets, then help out with MS and FB and whatever else. I would also consider war hero or merchant, but I'm worried about not having the extra mana per tick. Can anyone please provide some advice on this matter? I'm also kinda considering Elf/Tactician as an a/m, so that I can keep CS up to protect myself from pesky thieves.

I like to post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elanesse View Post
    What's better for being an unbreakable mage? Faery or Elf? Additionally, if I'm interested in getting some decent thievery work in and resisting ops like AW, what's my best option?
    You wont be UB so concentrate about being useful mage. Myst work good for elf/FA.
    “the mystery of life isn’t a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.”
    ― Frank Herbert, Dune

“I should've suspected trouble when the coffee failed to arrive.”
    ― Frank Herbert, Dune

Veteran
    Feary would be the pick i think. It offers more allround capabilities as a t/m and higher damage output then elf. Due to the access to all racial spells feary should have slightly better defence than elf. If you don't need to cast meteor showers there isnt much reason to pick mystic. Rogue ops are very circumstancial, if your kingdom does not use them much there is not much reason to pick rogue. If you dont need mystic and rogue, sage or warhero are the options that are left. Sage is proberbly the best. Also Feary can support the kd econ better then elf due to ToG.

As far as AW goes, watchtowers are a necesity if the enemy runs rogues :)

Forum Fanatic
    Elf/Tactician blows. CS is not worth losing that much economy and damage output (reduced attack time is basically worthless since other tacticians will still beat your armies home).

The extra mana for Mystic is quite useful. Bear in mind that just because you're a mage doesn't mean you have to or should cast nothing but offensive magic, as a defensive province would at the least want to have IA, FL, NB, LP, Patriotism, and Magic Shield active at pretty much all times once they start growing, and probably wants MP and Fury. The full set of defensive spells cuts deeply into the mana available for casting, but does not take up a lot of runes. If your kingdom is good then rune supply issues can be resolved anyway, but sometimes there will be shortages.

Elf tactician IS a good pick, but since you are on here asking about it you lack the knowhow(and likely the activity) to use it properly in war. Mystic will offer you greater landsaving effect and war hero/sage/merchant are easier to run.
    - zilyana -

Post Fiend
    Me? I said in the post that I'm very active (online basically every minute i'm awake haha, work an office job so I just leave this open in the background =P). I just played the age as avian, and I tried to get minimum 3 attacks per day (I always led the war summary in uniques). I was just looking for advice. I've just never played an a/m yet. I've only been full attacker and a/t so far in my short utopia career.

Also, I became king of my kingdom 1.5 ages into starting to play this game again (although I quit playing in about 2007). That makes me the best player ever right? Haha.

For those of you that don't have much of a sense of humor, I'm just kidding. I know I'm far from the best, that's why I'm asking for advice.
    Last edited by Anatak1989; 13-03-2014 at 19:57.

Forum Fanatic
    short answer;

if playing in small kingdom and have few spaces for a mage, elf/mystic is the easiest, with faery/mystic being okay.

if you have space for a lot of elf and faery provinces, then some of those elf/faery can pick war hero.

if you can spare 6 faeries and still have enough mystics to keep up MS, Faery/Rogue is pretty nice, but fa/rogue is way more of a thief than a mage.

Regular
    Probably go Elf Mystic. Talking with my KD mates, we already have two running Faery Rogue next age. We need to MS people.

Anyone have a good build strat for this?

I have heard some folks say to run 20% guilds, is that too much for a Mystic? Do I only need 10% for max effectiveness?

Enthusiast
    Both elf/my and faery/ro are nice choices. People run lots of guilds to get wpa up fast. You could run 50%-60% after the end of your first war for example (in the 4 days of eowcf) to pump wpa fast.
    Now at the start of the age depending on your kd's growth plan you could run 20%-30% for an early boost. The problem though in first war is rune production. You can either overbuild towers to support your spells or do an early investment on magic sci. Pick what to do with your kd mates and all plan together.
    Now the usual guilds for mystic in wars is from 12%-15%. You get max durations on spells and compensate for lower than 100% building effectiveness.

Also dont use one build, adjust your build depending on who you go to war. If there are many rogues for example go for higher wts otherwise you could use some other buildings and do attacks as hybrid. Elf elites are nice for that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Elanesse View Post
    Probably go Elf Mystic. Talking with my KD mates, we already have two running Faery Rogue next age. We need to MS people.

Anyone have a good build strat for this?

I have heard some folks say to run 20% guilds, is that too much for a Mystic? Do I only need 10% for max effectiveness?
    In war build you will want 13% guilds if playing TM 15-16% if attacking. Outside of war you can be running anywhere up to 70% depending on how badly you were hit in war and how long until the next.

No build strat can be offered without knowing whether you will attack or not
    - zilyana -

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by crease View Post
    In war build you will want 13% guilds if playing TM 15-16% if attacking. Outside of war you can be running anywhere up to 70% depending on how badly you were hit in war and how long until the next.

No build strat can be offered without knowing whether you will attack or not
    Good point, thank you. I do NOT plan on attacking unless it is to mop up a chain target. So I will train some elites, but mostly, I'll be running d-specs. Besides the obvious need for MS and mage damage, my main goal is going to be to carry enough thief power to steal effectively and run some NS. So I was thinking 15% TDs and 5.5 raw tpa or so.

For others who have mentioned it, I do know what I need to do for recovery in EOWCF, I probably should have clarified I need a decent war strat. I'm sure I'll figure it out through experimentation, but any tips you have would be great.

Thank you!

Looking at something along the lines of:

10 homes
    8 farms
    15 forts
    13 guilds
    18 towers
    20 TD's

This leaves 16% for WT/gs. WT usually the normal option, but if you are against a heavy attacker kd with no rogues then gs may be beneficial. Again if you believe you wont be chained and there are no rogues, then by all means throw in a few more homes and some banks.

Edit if up against more than 4 rogues, then consider dropping forts/TDs to 10 and 15 respectively and getting 26% WT
    Last edited by crease; 14-03-2014 at 13:10.
    - zilyana -

Thread Information