Thread: Elf Mystic as AM

Elf Mystic as AM

I will be running Elf Mystic as hybrid AM next age in a war kingdom. Advice on general build strat?

Post Demon
    Don't bother trying. You are taking the worst attacker and trying to make the hardest hybrid out of it - the only combos that are worse are the ones that willfully try. And frankly, even those sometimes do better - I've seen ages where faery warrior pure attacker was a better pick that Elf Mystic A/M is.

Either go pure mage, or don't go elf. And probably should be faery for pure mage anyway. So ya, don't go Elf.
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

Forum Fanatic
    Elf is not "the worst attacker" by a long shot.

If you're going to play an Elf, you really should incoporate some offensive capability to get the most out of your province. 5/4 with 5 point defspec is a huge boost over 4/4 with 5/0 unusable offspec, or 4/5 4/0 unusable offspec. Aside from 5/5 being one of the more space-efficient armies, that Elf can use their offensive elite out of a defensive build shouldn't be underestimated. Brutes are too weak and Halfers have a lot more vulnerabilities than Elf, and Beastmasters are even worse for attacking than Elf Lords.

Most elves should be played with t/m in mind, but train part of their army as elites in order to strike at low defense provinces. Wait a few days for attackers to exhaust themselves, after which point the elves can often start hitting with relative impunity. Due to -50% def losses, an elite that is effective post-chain, and being a mage, Elves are often not the first priority to be chained, and can stand up fairly well against massacre.

Attacking with elf is more about being able to judge if others are willing to chain your elf instead of more vulnerable attackers or thieves, and being willing to expose yourself - or, just wait until attackers land bloat and their defenses can be shredded with ease. It is not always safe to expose your Elf, so you will usually be better off orienting your province for t/m; however, if you have several Elves and are willing to accept that one can get chained, then a well-timed wave will work out in your favor as a kingdom.

Buildwise, if you attack with Elf you should probably look at high watchtowers in order to protect those defspec from NS and Prop, and wizards from AW if fighting Rogues. 25% wt would work great, as this will account for substantial incoming acres before needing to rebuild. The rest of the build will likely be standard t/m stuff - forts, thief dens, guilds and towers. Later on Libraries for better channeling science (and I am assuming a disproportionately high investment in channeling science for Elves in warring kingdoms).

Elf as core attacker is pretty rancid though. Of the defensive provinces, Elf/Mystic is the most useful in ghettoland.

Forum Fanatic
    Elf a/m is fine, but i'm not sold on mystic a/m. Ignore those two ^^.

Forum Fanatic
    Right because 8 mod dpa is worth being unable to hit anything and being a lot more worthless.

Forum Fanatic
    1) You won't have 8 mod dpa, you'll have more.
    2) Both AMA and CR used elf a/m to a high degree of success this age. I know we don't regret it, and are confident that our current setup would be the strongest option for next age as well.
    11 EPA, 10.5 DSPA, 4 rTPA, and 4.5 rWPA leaves you with an elf that is very very strong vs any other attacker, and capable of playing a/t/m.
    Last edited by Zauper; 16-03-2014 at 11:34.

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Zauper View Post
    11 EPA, 10.5 DSPA, 4 rTPA, and 4.5 rWPA
    that pop sci doe .......

The Jerks.

Quote Originally Posted by tetley View Post
    that pop sci doe .......
    that. Even assuming 10% homes its still 16.3% pop sci. No, this is a war kd. Not your top 5 ghetto.

Thats assuming zero ppa and you havent 115% overdrafted. But no ghetto will ever reach over 75-80% between wars. Dont get a guys hopes up.
    - zilyana -
    - Future Owner of the coveted Nubhat -
    - Screw-Up Extroadinaire -

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Zauper View Post
    1) You won't have 8 mod dpa, you'll have more.
    2) Both AMA and CR used elf a/m to a high degree of success this age. I know we don't regret it, and are confident that our current setup would be the strongest option for next age as well.
    11 EPA, 10.5 DSPA, 4 rTPA, and 4.5 rWPA leaves you with an elf that is very very strong vs any other attacker, and capable of playing a/t/m.
    I was saying, the 8 mod dpa an Elf loses by swapping 6 dspa for 6 epa is practicallly nothing, and if you have the offensive potential you might as well use it. Too many ghetto Elves do stupid things like refusing to attack because they are afraid of bloating - i.e., selfish nub reasons. I'm just regurgitating the strategy many ghetto Elf/Mystics use, some better than others - it generally works, isn't always the best, but the worst is usually a Elf that is too afraid of bloat to hit.

AMA's Elf are Mystic as you should know so idk what your point is.
    Last edited by noobium; 16-03-2014 at 21:19.

Enthusiast
    There is another thread on this. Elf AM as hybrid is SOOOOOOOO hard. hybrids have severe mpa and building space effeciency issues. These issues are highly compounded when you are mystic where you gain no effeciency stats at all and in return just get a super high mpa/buildspace required spell in ms.

Forum Fanatic
    Sometimes it is worth it to suck up Elf/Mystic's inefficiency in order to be able to hit immediately, rather than wait and pick off attackers in war. It isn't something I would try to do every time, but at least in ghettoland it works more often than not. With 5/4 elf lords next age it has become a lot easier.

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by noobium View Post
    I was saying, the 8 mod dpa an Elf loses by swapping 6 dspa for 6 epa is practicallly, and if you have the offensive potential you might as well use it. Too many ghetto Elves do stupid things like refusing to attack because they are afraid of bloating - i.e., selfish nub reasons. I'm just regurgitating the strategy many ghetto Elf/Mystics use, some better than others - it generally works, isn't always the best, but the worst is usually a Elf that is too afraid of bloat to hit.

AMA's Elf are Mystic as you should know so idk what your point is.
    I thought you were sarcastically agreeing and saying that elf a/m would somehow only have 8 dpa, my bad :p

Everyone is attacking Orcs or UD anyway so yes a/M is viable on an elf. I got a friend of mine to play elf/mystic last age and he was able to attack, keep MS up and reach duke without outgrowing the KD. Most KD's are too greedy to double/tripple/quad low def attackers anyway. Especially if you don't send out immediately, elves are sneaky semi hybrids.
    Last edited by cronoz; 18-03-2014 at 23:26. Reason: grammar

I was thinking A/m, Elf Tact.
    As a support mage i PF and FB, not MS.
    Tact gives me CS, so that I am only running 1 tpa besides my wt's.

As far as a/M goes...u can do it but the a should be even more lower case than it already is.

Thread Information