Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age 61 Power Rankings

Post Demon

Age 61 Power Rankings

Preliminary age change power rankings.

This is an attempt to measure the raw military strength each race can put out as an attacker. It does not measure T/M or hybrid potential in any way. It does not measure economy in any way. It does not measure sustainability in any way. It does not account for the "unused" side of any elites, so it makes no measure of ambush defense or turtling ability. (As such, dwarf shows as taking a small nerf from last age because the NW of the elite went up - even though it is clearly an improvement to the race overall, since it isn't ambush fodder now.)

It does account for science (and FoK), pop bonus, +tpa/wpa (for reducing the raw number needed to hit the minimal mod an attacker requires) and assumes Fanat and TW when available. Each race has it's units distributed for a 65:35 off:def split (just over 1.8:1, so not quite dt yourself).

Rankings____OPA_____DPA____NW/A____MPNW____%Max
    Elf_________74.68____40.21___179.81____0.64____83.02%
    Faery______67.19____36.18___154.13____0.67____87.14%
    Human_____72.41____38.99___164.53____0.68____87.97%
    Avian______74.94____40.35___163.1_____0.71____91.84%
    Dwarf______77.31____41.63___167.78____0.71____92.11%
    Orc________76.94____41.43___165.74____0.71____92.79%
    Undead_____82.57____44.46___171.54____0.74____96.21%
    Halfling_____82.81____44.59___165.52____0.77___100.00%

Editorial section:
    If these changes hold up, it is another age of the halfer. They take a tiny nerf, and a few others get a buff. But their nerf has no impact on raw power, and pes aren't going to be around in war anyway. For A, A/t, A/T, T/a, or T/m, halfer is the choice. For all of those except pure attacker, it is the *only* real choice. The only people not playing halfer in a kingdom should be the MS coverage T/M. And frankly, I'd go faery mystic t/M - just run like 30% towers or whatever it takes. If your players are good, you get coverage with 2 or at most 3 t/M, and all 17 (or 22) other provs go halfer - 25% pure A, 50% A/t, 25% A/T or a/T.

For other interesting options... there are none. Seriously, just go halfer. I played it this age, and it was stupid good. Got a comparison to a kingdommate - he was 40 acres larger (on about 2200 acres), and had about 12k less pop compared to me. I'm on 69k max pop, he has 57k. Sure, he's human, he gets that 6/4 army... but figure 10k more o-specs vs. his elites - he doesn't catch up on offense to me unless we go to over 80% DR, pure offense. Seriously, he'd need 50k elites vs. my 60k o-spec... leaving him with 7k for the rest of his prov! It is just impossible for a human to match a halfer for military, and that 12% gap shows it.
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

Enthusiast
    Your values for halfling having a higher OPA than undeads and orcs cannot be right.
    Please post your calculations for halfling and undead.

Edit:
    Without going into uncessarily long calculations:
    1 acre undead: 25 population
    1 acre halfling: 27.5 population (lets say 28 to be generous)

Assuming 10 population dedicated only to offense:
    undead: 10 * 7 = 70 MO
    halfling: (10 + 3) * 5 = 65 MO

Fair to say other modifiers like tgs, horses, sciences, will add roughly the same % of MO to each player.
    Undead stays ahead.
    Last edited by fawk; 16-03-2014 at 03:52.

Forum Fanatic
    He assumes a very narrow range of army configurations, most of which have fallen out of use, and the use of Halfers' TPA and population bonus being channeled to more offspec.

I'll just repeat what I said before... 5/0 specs are not what you want after a chain.

Forum Fanatic
    Based on your stated assumptions, all of the attackers should have the same mod twpa. Orcs and undead have equal twpa bonuses (minus some sci, I guess) -- but the sci eff penalty of orc isn't nearly enough to explain the gap between your orc and undeads - it looks like about .8 epa and .8 dspa, since you aren't counting elite defense in the def measure.

Give more detail on your calculation. What TWPA numbers are you assuming? It looks like you're assuming less than you should be.

(p.s., I do love 'What the #1 kd is doing is clearly wrong because they have 10+ of the weakest race, and 14-15 of the weakest 3')

Enthusiast
    Since you are comparing attackers you should start by forcing opa to be 100+ and then try to adjust tpa, wpa etc. Halfer was solid this age but your analysis shows that a halfer with 84 opa is better than an orc that runs 77 opa.

Forum Fanatic
    If it means anything, the kingdom that would have been #1 if not for Fairplay had zero of the "best race".
    Last edited by noobium; 16-03-2014 at 07:20.

Strategy Moderator
    @Zauper he post on effectively pure offense alone. If you actually look into all his numbers/assumptions his numbers are reasonable (even if all the #'s aren't here) but take a naive approach to the races when thought of kd wide. Just take his rankings as "ease of playing attacker" and it makes more sense.

@noobium yes 5/0 is bad for chained people, but as above his numbers really are who has the easiest time building an attacker, not strength of the attacker.

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Persain View Post
    @Zauper he post on effectively pure offense alone. If you actually look into all his numbers/assumptions his numbers are reasonable (even if all the #'s aren't here) but take a naive approach to the races when thought of kd wide. Just take his rankings as "ease of playing attacker" and it makes more sense.
    Are they? Assuming an attacker needs 3 mtpa and 3 mwpa, with 50% crime/channel, 5% pop:

Halfling - 1.3 rtpa, 2 rwpa, 28.9 pop. 5 peasants/acre. 20.575 mil/acre. Assuming 120% ome/dme, and his 65%/35% split, I get 80 OPA assuming all ospec offense and 34.5 DPA.
    Undead - 2 rtpa, 2 rwpa, 26.25 pop. 5 peasants/acre, 17.25 mil/acre. Same ome/dme, 65%/35% - 94.185 OPA, 28.98 DPA. Let's set the same DPA: 84.42 OPA and 34.5 DPA.
    here's elf: 2 rtpa, 1.5 rwpa, 26.25 pop. 5 peasants/acre, 17.75 mil/acre. Same ome/dme, 65%/35% - 69.22 OPA, 37.275 DPA. If you set the same DPA: 72 OPA, 34.5 DPA.
    Fae: 2 rtpa, 2 wpa, 26.25 pop. 5 peas/a, 17.25 mil. 53.82 opa, 36.225 DPA. 55.2 OPA if you set DPA constant.
    Human: 1.9 rtpa, 1.9 rwpa, 25.175 pop. 5 peas/a. 16.375 mil/a. 76.6 opa, 26.51 dpa. 66.15 OPA if you set DPA constant.

This ignores the simple reality that the undead would really be running 1 rtpa with CS/WTs for defensive purposes, and have more military. Now you can say 'well gosh zauper, your calculation is so simplistic', but the reality is my calculation is both more realistic and more reasonable than his, while using his rules. For example, I'm not forcing the heavy attacker races to have 10+ DSPA (not clear why you would want that).

Edit: added elf/fae/human for the sake of argument.
    Last edited by Zauper; 17-03-2014 at 16:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauper View Post
    Are they? Assuming an attacker needs 3 mtpa and 3 mwpa, with 50% crime/channel, 5% pop:

Halfling - 1.3 rtpa, 2 rwpa, 28.9 pop. 5 peasants/acre. 20.575 mil/acre. Assuming 120% ome/dme, and his 65%/35% split, I get 80 OPA assuming all ospec offense and 34.5 DPA.
    Undead - 2 rtpa, 2 rwpa, 26.25 pop. 5 peasants/acre, 17.25 mil/acre. Same ome/dme, 65%/35% - 94.185 OPA, 28.98 DPA. Let's set the same DPA: 84.42 OPA and 34.5 DPA.

This ignores the simple reality that the undead would really be running 1 rtpa with CS/WTs for defensive purposes, and have more military. Now you can say 'well gosh zauper, your calculation is so simplistic', but the reality is my calculation is both more realistic and more reasonable than his, while using his rules. For example, I'm not forcing the heavy attacker races to have 10+ DSPA (not clear why you would want that).
    His numbers assume no sci, they also assume no forts wtf do you have forts for??

Get the same dpa with 112.7 DME pliss am lazy
    - zilyana -
    - Future Owner of the coveted Nubhat -
    - Screw-Up Extroadinaire -

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by crease View Post
    His numbers assume no sci, they also assume no forts wtf do you have forts for??

Get the same dpa with 112.7 DME pliss am lazy
    He says:
    It does account for science (and FoK), pop bonus, +tpa/wpa (for reducing the raw number needed to hit the minimal mod an attacker requires)
    Lowering DME is irrelevant, it just reduces the DPA. It doesn't change the outcome because I'm not holding DPA constant, I'm holding troop ratio constant. I'm also not factoring for the space savings of the undead.

Needs to get out more
    Halfling Warrior. I'll let my queen know. Thanks guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Post Demon
    How are halflings going to make up for 2 less offense on their specs compared to UD elites? Assuming 90 opa Halflings need to have 4 extra space to fit them in.

Yes they have 2.5 extra pop from their racial bonus, and they need some less thieves, but still you're not getting quite there. Besides, UD have secondary bonusses like lower off losses/plague. Halflings will need to run high hosps if they want to be successful. Also, halfling offense will be very susceptible to NS/propaganda (when caught home).

Also the BR will kill you in war if you can't kidnapp. I'd say halfers need at least some tpa to be effective and not run out of pezzies, but then you're not going to get more than 65-70 opa. Orcs/UDs with the right build can easily go 120-130 opa.

Quote Originally Posted by Bukharistan View Post
    How are halflings going to make up for 2 less offense on their specs compared to UD elites? Assuming 90 opa Halflings need to have 4 extra space to fit them in.

Yes they have 2.5 extra pop from their racial bonus, and they need some less thieves, but still you're not getting quite there. Besides, UD have secondary bonusses like lower off losses/plague. Halflings will need to run high hosps if they want to be successful. Also, halfling offense will be very susceptible to NS/propaganda (when caught home).

Also the BR will kill you in war if you can't kidnapp. I'd say halfers need at least some tpa to be effective and not run out of pezzies, but then you're not going to get more than 65-70 opa. Orcs/UDs with the right build can easily go 120-130 opa.
    Per acres figures are a less than ideal indicator of races power. They are weaker per networth, this is why halfer is strong on paper.
    - zilyana -
    - Future Owner of the coveted Nubhat -
    - Screw-Up Extroadinaire -

Veteran
    So say you're in a ghetto and there are no constraints on your race/personality choice, but a lot of others are opting for "cool" options like UD/merch, orc warrior, human/wh and dwarf/wh, what would you choose?

Strategy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Zauper View Post
    who the crap runs 3 m tpa and wpa on an attacker. Its been a while since i looked at his exact numbers. He doesn't do "wrong" math its just his actual math is hidden a bit. For example, its not 65:35% unit count, its 65:35 pure number count. i.e. a race thats all specs with no leets would have 6500 off specs, 3500 def specs. However a race with a 65/0 leet and a 0/35 dspec would have 5000 each dspecs and leets. Its y i said his numbers are "Ease" of running an attacker, or put more simply its a ghetto power ranking for those that dont really constantly tweak their prov.

Thread Information