Thread: Age 61 - Halfling Merchant Bank

Age 61 - Halfling Merchant Bank

what do u think of halfling merchant as bank. ToG + 10% pop bonus will generate good money while keeping decent TPA to steal resources in war and get riot on

Postaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by mhafizan View Post
    what do u think of halfling merchant as bank. ToG + 10% pop bonus will generate good money while keeping decent TPA to steal resources in war and get riot on
    I think you will have a hard time keeping hight peasants :p

Regular
    It will work, make sure your bank is UB and that you disable enemy t/m's in or nearby its net range.

Scribe
    grow huge and get like 8 mwpa. otherwise id go with faery for a bank, since you get a better spellbook to protect your pezzies and +1 for more ToG in war

Quote Originally Posted by NoseBlood View Post
    I think you will have a hard time keeping hight peasants :pr
    not really... Halfling has +50% TPA plus however many thieves you are planning on running makes you not worth trying to kidnap. All you need to do is have good WPA and youll be pretty much untouchable. And with +10 population and homes being better this age it will be easy to have good WPA, TPA and still have unbreakable defence

Fool gold going to make u cry so much ;p

Post Fiend
    Running halfer merch kingdom last age, economy was excellent. Cheap military and the extra credits always make sure we had high gc. Plunders however are incredibly painful. :-P plus when you draft high the birth rate nerf hurts. You can spend your stealth kidnapping after your hits and drain mana with tog now. Should be fun, but smart kingdoms will know to target you first.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    There's just one problem with that...banks are dead.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    There's just one problem with that...banks are dead.

Care to explain?

Postaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by lusitano View Post
    not really... Halfling has +50% TPA plus however many thieves you are planning on running makes you not worth trying to kidnap. All you need to do is have good WPA and youll be pretty much untouchable. And with +10 population and homes being better this age it will be easy to have good WPA, TPA and still have unbreakable defence
    i wasent talking about kidnap, i was talking about fireballing a halfer/merch is prolly one of the first things a kd you war will do, especially if ur big and 'ub' :P

Forum Fanatic
    there is no such thing as "untouchable" wpa against mages that know what they are doing, let alone kingdoms that know to use their dropped attackers to fb. halfer's counter to fb is kidnap, which is limited - otherwise they have a much harder time recovering from fireballs than any other target.
    nor is halfer tpa a guarantee of immunity, particularly against other halfers who aren't getting econ-wrecked.

tornado and ms are quite effective at destroying the infrastructure a ub halfer would want, either setting them up for a chain or setting them up to be fireballed with far weaker ability to kidnap back.

that said halfer/merch isn't bad, but not immune to being screwed with. i'd prefer to chain them outright if it's possible, because chained halfer is dead halfer...

on a general note, why do people judge halflings in a vacuum? the best trait of halfers is their ability to be fed troops to train military and thieves faster than anyone else. if you're playing any halfer you should be able to look at your kingdom's ability to utilize cheap thieves and better ospecs, and halfer's economy and attack power alone will not utilize that most effectively. of all the races, halfer requires the most support from their kingdom to be effective, both for supplying resources and making sure that TPA bonus is used somewhere where it will do actually useful damage.
    Last edited by noobium; 18-03-2014 at 22:11.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by shadoweminence View Post
    Care to explain?
    Sure.

Having a large halfling sit at like 65% draft and 4raw wpa isn't a bank. That's just a large halfling province. The "extra" money they seem to be making is purely a result of their larger size. A province isn't a bank unless it's purpose is devoted being the absolute econ-horse, maximizing pezzies and most likely doing the dragon killing. Admittedly, I've never ran a bank before, but I'm pretty sure that would allow for up to 30% draft rate, maximum. Their protection is based on the fact that they're just so far ahead of the other provinces that they couldn't catch up.

This style of play isn't feasible in the current meta-game though. Everyone worth their salt explore up these big provinces so your big provinces need to protect themselves from the other big provinces which means you either need extensive CF's, or you need to draft higher and basically run a normal province that's just huge. Seeing as the the OP is asking the forums about bank advice, I'm guessing he's not running in the top circles where CF's are basically assumed, so those CF's are going to be hard to come by.

Forum Fanatic
    I think halfer merchant is a fine choice this age, but in an A/T kind of role. You roll enough offense to be able to 1tap similar-sized attackers after they send out, but enough defense so you're tough to chain. You'll still have SOME peasants. You can get away with like 4-5 TPA and do NS/riots. This way you get benefit from both sides of the merchant bonus.

Depending on the kind of kingdom you're playing in, you could probably also get away with playing a big T/m halfling with enough peasants that your TOGs are still good, like Palem said. I assume that is basically what you meant when you envisioned a halfling "bank." But this does make you a lot more susceptible to fireball.

Personally I think the halfling "superthief" turtle template is sort of dead right now, it's a waste of the 5/0 offspecs and just not making the most of the province.
    Last edited by tetley; 21-03-2014 at 08:51.

The Jerks.

Thread Information