Thread: Half Merch build

Half Merch build

Hey so I'm trying halfling out for this age and decided to go merchant. Never have been either before, would love some advice on builds, draft percentage, and how to proportion out my troops into specs, thieves, and elites. I'm going to be a hybrid A/T with some potential for funding and killing dragons as well as aiding during war. Thanks for the help!

Forum Fanatic

I've read all of that but there is not specific build strats. It covers some ideas for wpa/tpa, percentages for pezzies and army, but i would really really appreciate a more indepth build strategy. I've spent the last few ages as dwarf and consequently have NO idea what a normal level of farms is for example haha

Forum Fanatic
    Your base pop per acre is 27.5, disregarding science. Let's assume you have 3 WPA, just for a rough ballpark. This means that 70% draft leaves you with ~5 PPA, 75% draft leaves you with ~4 PPA. You will probably end up somewhere in this range. Let's leave you with 4.5 pez per acre for ease. You now have 20 pop per acre to dispense into your military.
    I would run something like:

9% Farms
    15% Banks
    15% TGs
    10% Rax
    20% TDs
    10% Guilds
    13% Towers (I assume you are mixing fireball and TOG)
    8% Forts (this is flexible)

5 TPA, 6 OSpA, 9 EpA gives you maybe ~70k offense, ~80k defense on a 2000k province, enough to be an unappealing target once war is underway, but enough offense to happily 1-2tap silly orc/undeads who grow 500 acres over war and are shelled and easily farmed for land.

Merch bonus allows you to pump more offspecs out, TOG allows you to keep generating an ok amount of gold.

All these metrics would be better with science, obviously.

Now obviously it doesn't always work out. If you feel frail, drop to 5 OSpA and 10 EpA and run more forts. But these rough numbers are a good start to be a pretty decent A/T hybrid with the kind of goals you are aiming for.

The Jerks.

Playing halfling merchant is like putting a big Fireball Me sign on your province. If your in a good kingdom and play other good kingdoms. If in a ghetto it would be fun to play

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tetley View Post
    Your base pop per acre is 27.5, disregarding science. Let's assume you have 3 WPA, just for a rough ballpark. This means that 70% draft leaves you with ~5 PPA, 75% draft leaves you with ~4 PPA. You will probably end up somewhere in this range. Let's leave you with 4.5 pez per acre for ease. You now have 20 pop per acre to dispense into your military.
    I would run something like:

9% Farms
    15% Banks
    15% TGs
    10% Rax
    20% TDs
    10% Guilds
    13% Towers (I assume you are mixing fireball and TOG)
    8% Forts (this is flexible)

5 TPA, 6 OSpA, 9 EpA gives you maybe ~70k offense, ~80k defense on a 2000k province, enough to be an unappealing target once war is underway, but enough offense to happily 1-2tap silly orc/undeads who grow 500 acres over war and are shelled and easily farmed for land.

Merch bonus allows you to pump more offspecs out, TOG allows you to keep generating an ok amount of gold.

All these metrics would be better with science, obviously.

Now obviously it doesn't always work out. If you feel frail, drop to 5 OSpA and 10 EpA and run more forts. But these rough numbers are a good start to be a pretty decent A/T hybrid with the kind of goals you are aiming for.

Just checking your Math.

2,000 acres (no science as you assume)

Oh I had to up the draft rate to .80% to match your PPA numbers.
    3wpa
    5tpa
    4.9ppa
    6dspa = 48,000 defense
    8.6ospa = 86,000 offense

using the numbers you provided.

I think your build should be tweaked in the following manner:

1. Lower TPA - With the +50% tpa you do not need to run 5 raw. I would drop to 3 raw.
    2. 3wpa raw is too middle of the road. It is not enough to be consistent with your offensive spells and too high to get a decent MV should you need one. Either raise it to 5 or drop it to 2. (or maybe you mean this for FB protection) I can see where that would be useful. FB and Chastity are deadly.)
    3. Hospitals - Because of your birthrate penalty and your spec offensive unit you will find yourself in a position where you have credits too train but not enough pop to keep replacing your troops in a long war. You can kidnap of course, but stealth would be better used to do ops.
    4. Stables vs All TGs.-Because you are running a high draft rate and your BE will suffer Some stables mixed in with the TG's might be a better choice. They are BE independent.

Other than that I was surprised at the offense Halfling can create.
    Last edited by tiggis; 21-03-2014 at 18:54. Reason: Edit for bad math.

Thread Information