Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Kingdom ~ Amber Dream Orrery

Next time your feeling adventurous try playing avian rogue A/t, using prop to help your sustain in war. Let me know how it works haha
    Player History

-Returned in Age 55: "Happy Grasslands" Undead Cleric in WE KC (M)
    -Age 56: "Cortez the Killer" Elf Mystic in WE KC (M)
    -Age 57 1st Half: "KC March of the Penguins" Avian Warrior in WE KC (M)
    -Age 57 2nd Half: "Granny Smith" Halfling Rogue in TFC
    -Age 58: "A Horse With No Name - America" Halfling Rogue in HRS Partial (S)
    -Age 59 1st Half: "Birthday Cake Remix" Avian Cleric in HRS
    -Age 59 2nd Half: "Birthday Cake Remix" Avian Cleric in AC
    (S)
    -Age 60 1st Half: "Beaver" Elf Mystic in AC (M)
    -Age 60 2nd Half: "I don t want" Undead Tactician in Allstars
    -Age 61: "trizzle my wizzle" Undead Tactician in Allstars
    -Age 62: "Tras19 is amazed by midgets" Dwarf Sage in Beastblood (CROWN x 2)
    -Age 63 yr 1-12: "To learn his Elfabet" Avian Merchant in Beastblood
    -Age 63 yr 12-14: "Thanks for the death Flogger" Orc Tactician in Beastblood
    -Age 64 yr 1-6: "Lust and Thrust" Halfling Rogue in PewPew
    -Age 65: "back yet again" Elf Merchant in Old Skool (M)
    -Return again in Age 67: "Whimsyton" Elf Merchant in the ghetto
    -Age 68 1st Half: "This Girl is on Shire" Halfling Rogue in The Shirish Mafia (M)
    -Return Yet Again in Age 76 2nd Half: "Happy Grasslands" Dark Elf Paladin in BOL
    -Age 77: "?" Human Sage in ? (M)

Noteworthy Achievments

*** Age 62: Books of War ... KD Land Crown and KD NW Crown Winner with Beastblood ***
    *** Was a member of The Faery Circle, yet have never played Faery ***
    *** Have never had a province die except once when I let Flogger province sit me for 24 hours in a war ***

Needs to get out more
    Thx tras. I'm actually thinking of going with the conventional but modifying tactics. Hard to say if orc warrior will be similar next age but I might run one to see the complimentary build to the tried and true undead cleric I run.

In my strat the gap is covered edge to edge by warrior because it has the scope of gains further out of range than cleric or tactician. The tactician in my setup is there to address threats to your defensive and offensive positions. Tactician pushes dangers away from the other two or one of our t/ms being defended in the gap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Needs to get out more
    Setup Comparo: ~ to the uninitiated, t/m refers to thief/mage

A look at a popular war setup that also happen to be in the top 5 exhibits the standard six obvious t/ms. The core is basic but more diversified than most because it consists of 5 orcs and 10 undead. The tweeners are 3 humans and 1 dwarf.

When comparing classic setups to our zero core we have to understand the point of diversity in an aggressive world. We have a decided edge in t/m and a deficit in heavy attacker. Our attackers are diversified by ability as are our t/ms. What we are concentrating on is not our effectiveness against classic war strategy builds, but any variety of opponents.

We have superior turtling capability to the classic war assembly and we have redundancy built in so if one fails another can drop in. We have superior economy to the classic war assembly and again with redundancy that picks up where the other fails. Our dwarf contingent isn't as strong in offense, but offers a speed advantage that is further realized by the avian contingent. We similarly have 3 humans which we'll consider for this comparison results in canceling each other out. We can do nightmare/tornado and amnesia/fireball/chastity.

Remember that war hero works with superior economy because we can potentially accelerate train/build and war spoil acres to realize a strategy of net worth zone supremacy. The most important point to get from this diversified setup is to realize we can change strategy on a dime. If zone/gap isn't working in one sector we can switch to shelling. We can run a mosaic strategy that seems incomprehensible from doing ladder chain/zone supremacy/alternative operations on a wide net worth berth, but utilizing a spearhead in a particular area when the time is right. This is similar to blitzkrieg strategies so you can see where speed and logistics fall in place in concentration.

As with Rommel in his infamous book read by Patton we are simply theorizing, but we can draw from game experience to project achievable objectives and prepare to reinforce areas of weakness.
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 09-06-2014 at 21:13.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

Needs to get out more
    Net worth gap strategies are in large part based in pincer strategies. We are looking for a net worth zone that is characterized by slight weaknesses in our enemies setup that can be widened by select operation, sabotage and attacks.
    I may have already explained this, but a quick summary is placed here as a reminder of one aspect of strategy in a fluid war. The planning stages can take place in hostile that may or may not result in CF from either side.
    ________
    Weed bowls

Forum Fanatic
    ^ this should be moved to its own thread about Cigars in general, pure gold right here

The Jerks.

Needs to get out more
    Quote Originally Posted by tetley View Post
    ^ this should be moved to its own thread about Cigars in general, pure gold right here
    Hmmm. It just disappeared lol.

Oh, I found it. I thought I wrote that last.
    ________
    Weed bowls

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by StratOcastle View Post
    Hmmm. It just disappeared lol.

Oh, I found it. I thought I wrote that last.
    So did I.
    We must have been drinking from the same cup, because when I touch my front-head, it goes like thais:

The Jerks.

Needs to get out more
    I'm smoking an Alec Bradley Nica Puro which is supposed to be a good cigar. I'd imagine it is to some as it is very sweet and has a medium spice. The cigars I smoke are markedly more expensive so I can attest to the basic character here. Again, tastes vary so take it as what I like vs what others like. If I may, to my taste, the best cigar for your money is the Nestor Miranda Special Selection. You get a decent sweetness but the hallmark here is the deep earthy character which you will only find in balance with some great Cuban cigars IMHO.

Despite the American curiosity with Cuban cigars, some of their unique character hasn't been replicated domestically. The Nestor Miranda doesn't have the balance of say a Cuban Hoyo but does offer a fundamental that is rare legally. My impression is that the flavor isn't sought(earthy) so the catering blenders don't build in this feature. This is what was so nice about certain Cuban smokes; they weren't marketed toward volume but to the tastes of the men who created them. As Americans we are beginning to develop a more sophisticated palette but we still have a degree of childish loves: big simple sweet cigars with lots of spice because it makes us feel tough. Not to be critical since this is part of growing.

My love for honest cigars is that the art is personal and we have our choice of what we like. If you've ever eaten say cookies from Germany the sweetness isn't the defining point; in what they consider German. So in the taste of the old guard the subtleties aren't just there, but the big flavors are mature and complexity isn't exaggerated but graceful. Flavors I've enjoyed in the nice Cuban smokes I've had were cocoa dust, leather, earth(which has a distinctive finish) and white pepper. These vary from make to make as any tobacco man with pride would pursue what in his opinion was best.
    ________
    Weed bowls

Forum Fanatic
    DUDE ITS OWN THREAD. This stuff is too good to be here because not enough people come to the roleplaying section

The Jerks.

Forum Fanatic
    My girlfriend's father likes to smoke a brand called Romeo y Julieta, but I don't know anything about its taste.

The Jerks.

Needs to get out more
    Quote Originally Posted by tetley View Post
    My girlfriend's father likes to smoke a brand called Romeo y Julieta, but I don't know anything about its taste.
    The US version are manufactured by General Cigar, the biggest conglomerate in the business. I know that sounds bad, but it allows them to cater to many tastes. the US version is essentially a well rolled, mild to medium bodied cigar.
    Sadly I've never smoked the Cuban. Most of General Cigar brandings are named after great Cuban makes. These are illegal here, still, after the long forgotten embargo.
    I've had a few Cuban cigars over the years and have generally been impressed. I pay close attention to their character because it's a rare treat.

~ Paraphrases of the Day: our undead guy just had greed reflected at him and tells our orc. ~
    Undead Guy: since when did orcs have reflect?
    Orc Dude: just this age I think.
    ________
    Weed bowls

Needs to get out more
    Back to General Cigar; there are several choices in each brand of cigar. For instance, I know by memory there are at least 3 wrapper choices for Romeo y Julieta, and several size variations.
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 15-06-2014 at 12:20.
    ________
    Weed bowls

Using the provided rules I came up with two setups. one more of casual experimental and one more traditional.

The KD of Manifest Destiny

Fae Merch X 3
    Elf Mystic X 3
    Halfer Rogue X 3
    Human WH X 3
    Dorf Sage X 3
    Orc Warrior X 3
    UD Tact X 3
    Avian Cleric X 3
    Avian Merch X 1

and the more casual approach...

The KD of The Mind's Eye

Fae Merch
    Hu Merch
    Avian Merch

Fae Sage
    Elf Sage
    Human Sage
    Dorf Sage

Avian Cleric X 2
    UD Cleric

UD Tact
    Orc Tact
    Dorf Tact

Halfer WH
    Dorf WH
    HU WH

UD Warrior
    Orc Warrior X 2

Fae Mystic
    Elf Mystic X 2

Fae Rogue
    Halfer Rogue X2
    Player History

-Returned in Age 55: "Happy Grasslands" Undead Cleric in WE KC (M)
    -Age 56: "Cortez the Killer" Elf Mystic in WE KC (M)
    -Age 57 1st Half: "KC March of the Penguins" Avian Warrior in WE KC (M)
    -Age 57 2nd Half: "Granny Smith" Halfling Rogue in TFC
    -Age 58: "A Horse With No Name - America" Halfling Rogue in HRS Partial (S)
    -Age 59 1st Half: "Birthday Cake Remix" Avian Cleric in HRS
    -Age 59 2nd Half: "Birthday Cake Remix" Avian Cleric in AC
    (S)
    -Age 60 1st Half: "Beaver" Elf Mystic in AC (M)
    -Age 60 2nd Half: "I don t want" Undead Tactician in Allstars
    -Age 61: "trizzle my wizzle" Undead Tactician in Allstars
    -Age 62: "Tras19 is amazed by midgets" Dwarf Sage in Beastblood (CROWN x 2)
    -Age 63 yr 1-12: "To learn his Elfabet" Avian Merchant in Beastblood
    -Age 63 yr 12-14: "Thanks for the death Flogger" Orc Tactician in Beastblood
    -Age 64 yr 1-6: "Lust and Thrust" Halfling Rogue in PewPew
    -Age 65: "back yet again" Elf Merchant in Old Skool (M)
    -Return again in Age 67: "Whimsyton" Elf Merchant in the ghetto
    -Age 68 1st Half: "This Girl is on Shire" Halfling Rogue in The Shirish Mafia (M)
    -Return Yet Again in Age 76 2nd Half: "Happy Grasslands" Dark Elf Paladin in BOL
    -Age 77: "?" Human Sage in ? (M)

Noteworthy Achievments

*** Age 62: Books of War ... KD Land Crown and KD NW Crown Winner with Beastblood ***
    *** Was a member of The Faery Circle, yet have never played Faery ***
    *** Have never had a province die except once when I let Flogger province sit me for 24 hours in a war ***

Needs to get out more
    Thank you tras. :-)

Between a few of us I see we personally like to triple up on the archetypical builds. Orc warrior is such a huge weapon when you're fighting outside your net worth I find it difficult to assign otherwise. The player biased strat I display are more derivative/esoteric but have their place to shine.

When you place maximum ability with persona/race I think it makes for pronounced flexibility, where the casual strats are harder to decipher weaknesses. The casual set may have endurance advantages or 2nd stage surprises when chained.

I think of these in frequency terms: the archetypical kingdom strategy is like music that is hi-fi and balanced throughout the range. The casual kingdom has that midrange warmth. I interpret this as the hi-fi/archetypical kingdom fights better out of it's range and the casual fights better in it's net worth range. Generally speaking.
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 16-06-2014 at 21:36.
    ________
    Weed bowls

Forum Fanatic
    tras - not sure if this suggestion took into account the changes. Why would you have human and fae on merch? they already have tog.

StratO - I believe he far prefers the Cuban version; it's a lot easier to get them here in Canada. I can't speak to his particular preference on variation.

On topic - Did some thinking and here's an idea for a kingdom whose #1 priority is honor whoring:

3 Halfling Mystic (NS + MS spammer, enough ospecs to hit heavies in range)
    3 Faery Rogue (Prop, fine aiders, riots, AW I guess to open up enemy mystics for easy honor theft and open up fat attackers as LL farms.)
    3 Elf Merchant (LL + FBers, toggers, slayers, aiders, ideally mostly dspecs but enough elites to 1x a suicider in range, with some banks and a mind to being an econ prov in war.)
    3 Dwarf War Hero (I think with proper aid dwarf wh have the best potential for "growing into a UB" in war, since you can always build land, and that speedy train time can get you some really quick dspecs. The free build allows for huge flexibility on NW management. War hero means you can get a 1 sided ruby advantage to try and get safe. WS could make this more possible.)
    3 Human Sage (gives them the best A/T/M potential they can get)
    3 Avian Tactician (You can't keep these guys down, their preference is to just max gain ALL WAR. CS + WTs makes it harder for them to op honor back)
    3 Orc Warrior (For initiating on their "Unbreakable" T/Ms through massive kills via bloodlust and orc racial)
    3 Undead Cleric (bad at holding land, but good at giving everyone in the enemy kingdom the plague. Focus on small + spread hits to not get too land fat.)

I'm sure there's a number of ways this could go, probably with more mixing and matching (i mean without all the 3+3 pairings)

Again, this isn't my ideal kingdom at all, it's just not how my mind works. Kudos to you for making me put my super-out-of-the-box thinking cap on so frequently here :P

Edit: Ooh, forgot a name. Guess I'll just call it "The Royal Family." (In the hopes of many marquis and dukes :D )
    Last edited by tetley; 16-06-2014 at 07:56.

The Jerks.

Thread Information