Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: rate the races

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by noobium View Post
    why u no faery circle this age? :( would be a perfect age for it.

edit: fae/rogue > halfer/rogue in most situations. spellbook, and the damage mod is more important than +TPA... although i'd probably run both if i were using a lot of rogues.
    yup, and choosing between the 2 or mix of 2 is all based on kd setup/plans and goals... i mean feary/sage or half/sage is good in right kd setup and plan but solo is waist..

There is no optimal race/setup.... certain race/setups counter others, and vice verse...
    Last edited by madi; 24-04-2014 at 06:03.
    [COLOR="red"Pharma" ftw[/COLOR]

Strategy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tetley View Post
    If you are going to play a halfling that doesn't attack, I don't really understand why you wouldn't just play a faery.
    because +pop,5/0 spec (edited), and 1/2 price thieves can have more flexibility than the spellbook of a feary. couple that with people being less likely to learn halfers oow and you could have a better race choice.
    Last edited by Persain; 24-04-2014 at 07:22.

Forum Fanatic
    how does halfling have a 0/5 spec ?
    What flexibility? You are running it as a non-attacker. Faery close to strictly better in that role ....

The Jerks.

Post Fiend
    more flexible then feary as pure t/m??? higher chances of keeping sciences? how so?? outweighing feary's spellbook as pure tm, forget it.. pure half/rogue has one advantage being thief cost and tpa boost... yes tpa boost very nice but thief cost not issue in kd that coordinates resources..
    [COLOR="red"Pharma" ftw[/COLOR]

Forum Fanatic
    If you are going to play a halfling that doesn't attack, I don't really understand why you wouldn't just play a faery.
    I think halfling hybrid A/T is excellent this age. Elf is good as a hybrid as well but harder to play.
    Dwarf, human, undead, faery, halfling, and elf are the races that I would say are "good." Orc is playable if done right, as is obvious from BB setup. It would be very difficult to outgain that kingdom.
    Avians are not good this age.
    First off I'd say that Avians are getting quite underrated this age. They are probably the hardest race to use effectively, but they have one benefit - 6/2 elites for 500gc, which are great to train for long wars. Only Avian, Undead, and Halflings have elites that are cost-effective enough to train in large quantities during war. Unlike Undead, the Avian has no inherent t/m penalty, and gets a bit more ability to utilize massacre and raze this age due to their attack speed. Halflings usually enter war with as many elites as they are going to have, seeing as their elites are also their defensive units, and they're still only a 4 point attacking unit.

Lots of people think that Avians are suited for quick wars due to their speed, and that combat losses make it unplayable in long wars, but I would argue that the latter point is bs... every hit a province makes should be doing enough to be worth the combat losses, or at least most hits should. Sometimes it doesn't work like that, but if a lot of hits are just hitting empty acres for no real gain then that's a problem whether the hits come every 7 hours or every 12 hours. An attacker will either have the offense it needs to make useful hits or it won't.

With non-land attacks being buffed and avians being able to hit between attack windows, I think Avians start to become really good in long conflicts where massacre and learn attack become viable. Other races can do similar things, but without as much safety or efficiency, and most of those races have to do so with their more expensive elites.

Halfer a/t kinda blows because Halfer doesn't handle the attacking part particularly well, or at least no better than other options with more versatility. The aforementioned Avian (as Merchant most likely), Dwarf (as anything but probably Cleric) can both fill an attacker-thief niche without being locked into thievery, but their ops are just as effective on fatty attacker as a halfer's. Elf too (as a/t/m) and Human (as all-around awesome) have the same advantage. The only difference is that the Halfer is usually able to turtle behind slightly better defense (but not enough) and they can op some tougher targets - but they're still going to have a hard time with dedicated thieves unless they are Rogue and backed up by other Rogues / thieves. Halfer has its uses but of all the races it's the one most reliant on the kingdom they are playing in for support, while other races (t/m and attacker alike) can operate with far less support and do the things they're intended to do. I probably wouldn't bother with Halfers unless they were playing rogue or were supported by rogues of any race... for thief defense watchtowers and CS are good most of the time

Strategy Moderator
    how does halfling have a 0/5 spec ?
    What flexibility? You are running it as a non-attacker. Faery close to strictly better in that role ....
    edited i meant a 5/0 spec.

Quote Originally Posted by madi View Post
    more flexible then feary as pure t/m??? higher chances of keeping sciences? how so?? outweighing feary's spellbook as pure tm, forget it.. pure half/rogue has one advantage being thief cost and tpa boost... yes tpa boost very nice but thief cost not issue in kd that coordinates resources..
    The higher chances of keeping science may be just my kd but we eat more hits in fearies than halfers and we target fearies more often for learns that halfers...theres just something about the feary that screams i cant retal please hit me.

as for flexibility, i started with a big post and scaled it back. i'll go simple. +10% pop is a pretty big bonus, start planing a kd that can force a 50% nw win every time (hint your t/ms will need to grow) and the only spell in the feary spellbook that hurts not having the high wpa with is fools gold.

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Persain View Post
    because +pop,5/0 spec (edited), and 1/2 price thieves can have more flexibility than the spellbook of a feary. couple that with people being less likely to learn halfers oow and you could have a better race choice.
    idk but i'd probably target halfers for random learns, except that they have crappy science in the first place. if a silly random halfer wants to expose himself to retal me, he better be set up as a worthwhile attacker.

if i'm faery once i have significant science you can bet i'm keeping schools every time my sci is exposed to the server, along with the money to rotate them out. faery can play around with rotating builds a lot easier due to their spellbook and traits. halfer can too, but with less money and less sci to protect it's just not as good. given 48 hours of intensive science, the schools should have paid off their raze-rebuild cost in science expenses, and they save so much in the event i am learn attacked. extreme science they pay off rather quickly.

Forum Fanatic
    Halflings are like the humans of 4 ages ago or whatever, don't forget how dominant they were. 4/4 elite and 5/0 offspec.

Imo, the way to run a halfer A/T is not as a rogue superthief. Play a Merchant or WH and have enough offspecs to hit most heavy-type attackers once they have sent out. You run enough def that you are not a very appealing target for heavy hitters because they have 2+ taps available on others. Run 4-5 TPA and 20% dens and you will be able to NS most provinces. This allows you to strip land off fat attackers with ease and hold on to it fairly well.

A halfling with only elites just sucks because a full 4/4 army is terrible. If you start getting hit, you can barely even retal. 5/0 offspecs with stables and 10% or so TGs turns a halfer into a very efficient light hitter who still has ample NS and robbing ability.

Regarding avians, I don't know if you mean on a single province level or in terms of a kingdom-wide strat. I mean if you have 10 avian merchants vs 10 undead tacticians you can imagine what the total offensive capabilities of those provinces would be after 3 days of war. The disparity would be quite large. Avians are no more effective at holding land than an undead is, but they are quicker at becoming fat, easier to NS, and their offense dies faster.

If you're playing Avian Merchant... why wouldn't you just play a dwarf cleric or tact? With QF and possibly some rax you can come close to matching the speed of an avian with better stats otherwise. What relevant provs are avians massacring after a long war?

The Jerks.

Halflings are best used as a riot machines. You need to send out lots of thieves to get good riot durations and so you'll lose a lot of thieves. That's where the cheap thieves come in handy. If you just want to NS, you're better off playing Human A/T
    This is my province. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My province is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My province, without me, is useless. Without my province, I am useless.
    I must attack hard with my province. I must attack harder than my enemy who is trying to pk me. I must pk him before he pk's me. I will...

Human in-war econ in long wars is laughable. From experience this age it is dominated by orc and dwarf merches. Considering humans are designed to be econ *****es this makes them fairly useless.
    Last edited by crease; 24-04-2014 at 11:13.
    - zilyana -
    - Future Owner of the coveted Nubhat -
    - Screw-Up Extroadinaire -

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by crease View Post
    Human in-war econ in long wars is laughable. From experience this age it is dominated by orc and dwarf merches. Considering humans are designed to be econ *****es this makes them fairly useless.
    ur doing it wrong

ud/sage ftw +50% gains ...kkthxbye

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by noobium View Post
    why u no faery circle this age? :(
    Hard to run a kd when you don't play lol

lol, our enemies keep asking us how we fund so many dragons :-)
    Humans FTW!
    My province is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    I must attack hard with my province. I must attack harder than my enemy who is trying to pk me. I must pk him before he pk's me. I will...

Quote Originally Posted by Landro View Post
    lol, our enemies keep asking us how we fund so many dragons :-)
    Humans FTW!
    Having played a dwarf merch and sat a human tact and compared both to orc merch, the orc can easily train the most troops when all provs have 10ppa (in war.) The human was the worst of the lot. The numbers are even less favourable at lower econ.
    Last edited by crease; 24-04-2014 at 14:03.
    - zilyana -
    - Future Owner of the coveted Nubhat -
    - Screw-Up Extroadinaire -

Having played a dwarf merch and sat a human tact and compared both to orc merch, the orc can easily train the most troops when all provs have econ (in war.) The human was the worst of the lot.
    Isn't that cute........ but it's wrong!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yqUpypQwGs

Human should enter war with as many elites as possible. Keep some elites at home for def (they have 4 def just like specs) and during war, train specs so you can free up elites for offense. Doing so will probably only use up the spec credits you've been hoarding so you can use your income for funding.

Thread Information