Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Avian.... What's the Point?

Enthusiast
    100% of races are paired with a personality. Some races are better/more viable when compatible personalities are op. In the case of avian, the better cleric is the better they will be.

in top play the large WW bonuses you get serves as a permanent nerf to avian(since an avian core always assured you an extra wave in min time wd). Everywhere else they are many times the best race at being a situational a/t/m while still being very strong attacking core.

Forum Fanatic
    even with cleric at its old strength (-50% losses, not the OMGohpee reviving soldiers) avian wouldn't be that good. would disagree that cleric is necessary for avian to work but been down that road before.
    Last edited by noobium; 09-05-2014 at 20:30.

Strategy Moderator
    you measure an attackers base ability to chain as gains/hit and speed to chain.

That is measured in gains/attack time.

Avain 0.9/0.65 = 1.38
    Dwarf 1/0.9 = 1.11
    Orc: 1.3/1 = 1.30
    Undead: 1/1 = 1.00

The point of avain is that by raw gains it chains better/faster than any other race.
    Last edited by Persain; 09-05-2014 at 13:51.

Quote Originally Posted by topsy's revenge View Post
    100% of races are paired with a personality.
    id like to discuss that somewhat, cause merch is #1 pers on orc/dwarf, possibly on avian too atm?

Which race gets sage? Faery? human gets wh or tact?
    Last edited by crease; 09-05-2014 at 16:38.
    - zilyana -
    - Future Owner of the coveted Nubhat -
    - Screw-Up Extroadinaire -

Needs to get out more
    When I played football you did what you could to achieve objectives. I was fast and I used that as leverage. ~ A slow guy running at top speed has less control than a fast guy at the same speed. ~
    And it worked in ways you might not expect. I started at safety, but by the end of that season I was a defensive tackle.

This translates to avian as a race that should be lent the freedom to attack in ways that serve both kingdom and self; what noobium said. My point here is that avian is best played with sharp instincts. The speed isn't about volume as much as about quality. Your speed is a luxury as flanking is an advantage.

If you can trad march and beat a guy home, you can also learn attack and ambush the counter. You just can't have a war manager who wants a bunch of acre balloons floating around. This stuff is hard for robots to understand: everything is done by musket volley in waves and blankets. - Take a closer look at racial balances and personalities. Tac was my preferred use of the avian race and it never mattered if I was the only one in kingdom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Forum Fanatic
    I think avian is better suited for a minority role, rather than as the core of a kingdom... as core they lack power and sustainability. Question becomes, is it better to just have a solid core instead of the avians which might be wasted slots? Too many moving parts is harder to plan for, and there is a reason the best setups tend to consist of 3 core races and nothing else.

Regular
    I think avian core does have a place in top tier KDs if they can take advantage of the decreased attack times to make opportunistic hits. Unfortunately I think the activity and time required to properly plan a war strat around an avian core is too much to be feasible. No one has this much time to devote to a game anymore...

Forum Fanatic
    It's a lot of micromanagement to make avian core work, and without xlogging will probably lead to player burnout.
    That's why I would say to put the avians in a minority role, and grant the avians some latitude to make strategic calls for the kingdom - which is a little easier if the avians are the kingdom planners, and the grunts listen.
    Might be different from a whoring perspective, haven't really considered that. I would think avians are pretty bad for growth kingdoms in any capacity.

Enthusiast
    i would HIGHLY suggest you never have a split core with avians. A split core with different inherent attack time is a serious pain in the ass and can easily put you on 2 sides of a wave.

edit: Crease - this age sage isn't super good on anything. Last age the cost saving from it would permit the maximum amount of tickly exploration on humans/sages which made it very strong.

the free books alone have allowed the undead sage in my ghetto to get 35% gains sci. We havent had sci over active for the entire duration of age.

The question was which race you are tying sage to :P
    - zilyana -
    - Future Owner of the coveted Nubhat -
    - Screw-Up Extroadinaire -

Enthusiast
    I don't really see it as great on any race. It's not as good as WH on humans core/banks, it's not as good as merchant on dorf/cows. I think of all the races maybe on elf or fae for the amnesia. Amnesia is really powerful in a a/t/m setups, but for the other things it provides i think it's just outclassed by other personalities in almost every potential situation.

when i say all races will have a pers, i don't mean they all necessarily have 1 pers that makes them good, but rather that all races will be found in game with a personality and that how good a race is for an age is often dependent on how good the personality is that does synergize with it. Traditionally sage is solid on humans(especially cows), but this age it's not even worth it on that.

edit: so yeah, elf/sage i guess. 1 might be good in some strats.
    Last edited by topsy's revenge; 09-05-2014 at 22:43.

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by topsy's revenge View Post
    i would HIGHLY suggest you never have a split core with avians. A split core with different inherent attack time is a serious pain in the ass and can easily put you on 2 sides of a wave.

edit: Crease - this age sage isn't super good on anything. Last age the cost saving from it would permit the maximum amount of tickly exploration on humans/sages which made it very strong.
    remember that most kingdoms are ghetto. we don't have the luxury of being able to coordinate wave times so easily. i know i've had to plan my attacks on when people will (hopefully) get their armies home...

it's kind of the point to have the option to hit between waves, in order to use attacks in positions that are normally not viable or possible. attack times can be synchronized with added hours or holding armies - it's not easy and involves some micromanagement, but it can work. it's more hassle than just having more attacker or turtle provinces.

wouldn't bother with sage on elf, not without the economy to get the most from science investment... faery/sage is pretty nice, if only for the lack of other options, but it sucks without other sages...
    Last edited by noobium; 09-05-2014 at 23:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Persain View Post
    you measure an attackers base ability to chain as gains/hit and speed to chain.

That is measured in gains/attack time.

Avain 0.9/0.65 = 1.38
    Dwarf 1/0.9 = 1.11
    Orc: 1.3/1 = 1.30
    Undead: 1/1 = 1.00

The point of avain is that by raw gains it chains better/faster than any other race.
    Or just ret raks and get it over with! + stables and your hitting almost as much + better

Forum Fanatic
    nothing preventing an avian from building barracks themselves. :)

Enthusiast
    i would say split armies are even worse in ghetos than in top kd's, since your chains will already be pretty inefecient in ghetto land.

and again, while i wouldn't suggest sage on anything, if you got it then it would be purely for amnesia.

Thread Information