Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sage vs Merchant

Enthusiast

Sage vs Merchant

Strictly speaking, which one is capable of generating more gc:

A) Sage, with its 40% bonus to sci, which is effectively a 40% income science bonus, among other things...or

B) Merchant, with ToG?

So, I guess what I'm asking for, is which one accounts for more gc production, the 40% difference in sci, or constant ToGing?
    Last edited by METALLICA; 03-07-2014 at 19:54.
    The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
    -Albert Einstein

ToG > all when it comes to gc generation.

Enthusiast
    So, if you were considering Avian, would you rather go Merch than Sage to compensate for its economy woes?
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by METALLICA View Post
    Strictly speaking, which one is capable of generating more gc:

A) Sage, with its 40% bonus to sci, which is effectively a 40% income bonus, among other things...or

B) Merchant, with ToG?

So, I guess what I'm asking for, is which one accounts for more gc production, the 40% difference in sci, or constant ToGing?
    How is +40% sci eff a 40% income bonus? When a non-sage has ~10% alchemy, a Sage would have ~14% for the same books.
    ToG is your best gc generation.

Veteran
    Being Human/Sage ofcourse. Then you have sage bonus + ToG :P

But I don't think being sage gives you +40% income. It's more expanding your science number by 40%. If you have +20% income, sage will multiply that by 1.4 making it a total of +28% income.

Post Demon
    40% sci isnt a 40% income bonus.

lets take total income = 100

Merchant 20% sci = 120 gc
    Sage 28% sci = 128 gc

8 gc more which is about 6.7% higher income.

Merchant 40% sci 140 gc
    sage 56% sci 156 gc

16 more gc is about 8.5% more income.

the higher your size gets the more it will move towards the 40%, but praxtically you will never reach more than 10%, and that is already assuming HUGE bpa.

Enthusiast
    I knew how it worked, I just didn't write it out correctly. But thanks guys, very helpful, almost went Sage.
    -Albert Einstein

Veteran
    If you wish to compensate avian economy, go cleric. You cant replace troops faster with tog and extra credits than you lose them and people seeing the merchant persona will just move you higher up their fireball list. With cleric you get to keep more of your troops, you'd need to replace less of them. Imo, that's the only persona that can keep an avian going through a war. And even with the cleric persona, hospitals are still welcome in an avian build.

Quote Originally Posted by Uhm hoi View Post
    If you wish to compensate avian economy, go cleric. You cant replace troops faster with tog and extra credits than you lose them and people seeing the merchant persona will just move you higher up their fireball list. With cleric you get to keep more of your troops, you'd need to replace less of them. Imo, that's the only persona that can keep an avian going through a war. And even with the cleric persona, hospitals are still welcome in an avian build.
    Yeap good point. Depends a little whether he's in a warring kingdom or just going for growth. If the latter and little chance on hostilities, merchant is also a good choice.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Uhm hoi View Post
    I was gonna play avian war hero this age haha. I think plague/dragon immunity is good enough economy. Cleric is just too boring imo.

ToG is like doubling your total gold produced each tick. But it does also use 100% of your mana :p
    My life is better then yours.

Forum Fanatic
    i would only want Sage on a race that can cast tog and fok already.

Lets not forget the pop bonuses when it comes to income.
    If only a small portion of your population is in peasants, and you have +10% pop from sci and an additional +5% from Human and an addtional +40% to that 10% from sci its like 20% pop bonus, and if you dont draft it, thats income and BE bonus. If you do draft it well thats another story, but you still have a solid econ/military base to work from as HU Sage.
    Work Safe Custom Theme: http://spahrep.github.io/
    Age 55 TFC - Faery Warrior - Triple Crown (acres,nw,honor) <Unicorn Stampede>
    Age 56 TFC - Faery Warrior <Fen of the Unicorn>
    Age 57 TFC - Elf Mystic - 1st TFC Prince :P (S) <Rarity>
    Age 58 HRS (S) - Elf Mystic <Space Truckin - Deep Purple>
    Age 59 HRS (M) / AC (M) Faery Merchant <Cantaloupe>
    Age 60 AC (council) - Human Sage <Cerulean Frost>
    Age 60b Simians - Orc Tact <Cerulean Frost Rebooted>
    Age 61 - Silly Pink Ghetto Cats - Dwarf Merchant <Starship Unicorn Express>
    Age 62 - A Ghetto - Human Sage - 1M+ nw <Cerulean Unicorn Adventure>
    Age 63 - Another Ghetto
    Daughter of the Fifth House, Holder of the Sacred Chalice of Riix, Heir to the Holy Rings of Betazed.

-- The opinions/rants do not represent my kingdom or its affiliates, only me, and i have a lot of them.

Why are you looking at them only in regards to GC production?

Cleric is a very strong contender BTW, retention is better than retraining.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Forum Fanatic
    because that was the question the OP asked.

the bonuses to alchemy and housing together are not as poweful as tog, but for a lot of reasons i'd only want sage on the races that can already tog so it's a moot point.

Thread Information