Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best all around race/personality combo

Enthusiast

Best all around race/personality combo

Faery Sage is the best all around province and used correctly will be strong SOA and EOA.

Postaholic
    Roflmao
    War Monkeys War Monger - Contact me if interested in a beating.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Rather than whining, getting pissy and getting on my radar why don't you just .....

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    Roflmao
    laugh it up Nea - sage bonus is ungodly OP.
    Run some numbers.
    that plus the spell book of Fae make some incredible napkin math.

Forum Fanatic
    A lot rides on what kingdom goals are, and whether they want to be good at giving button or good at receiving button. I would put Dwarf/Cleric as one of the best all-around picks for a novice kingdom, so much versatility and Cleric has the staying power Dwarf otherwise lacks, but they're a lot better at receiving buttons than giving buttons.

I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed with Sage, unless they are really good at accumulating and protecting science. Other attacking personalities are a lot more useful for winning attacker matchups even when the Sage has a good science advantage, which means the Sages have to hybrid pretty well.

Halfer is pretty solid this age if they're going Rogue. Not very versatile but they can leech acres and thieve with relatively poor raw TPA, and the thief training bonus is very underrated because so many kingdoms fail to use it effectively. They need to be backed up by useful provinces in other respects but they're actually something I would want in a kingdom rather than a giant liability as they were last age.

For a novice or the lazy, dwarf merch is easy mode.
    All the credits and free building and high be age great.
    Work Safe Custom Theme: http://spahrep.github.io/
    Age 55 TFC - Faery Warrior - Triple Crown (acres,nw,honor) <Unicorn Stampede>
    Age 56 TFC - Faery Warrior <Fen of the Unicorn>
    Age 57 TFC - Elf Mystic - 1st TFC Prince :P (S) <Rarity>
    Age 58 HRS (S) - Elf Mystic <Space Truckin - Deep Purple>
    Age 59 HRS (M) / AC (M) Faery Merchant <Cantaloupe>
    Age 60 AC (council) - Human Sage <Cerulean Frost>
    Age 60b Simians - Orc Tact <Cerulean Frost Rebooted>
    Age 61 - Silly Pink Ghetto Cats - Dwarf Merchant <Starship Unicorn Express>
    Age 62 - A Ghetto - Human Sage - 1M+ nw <Cerulean Unicorn Adventure>
    Age 63 - Another Ghetto
    Daughter of the Fifth House, Holder of the Sacred Chalice of Riix, Heir to the Holy Rings of Betazed.

-- The opinions/rants do not represent my kingdom or its affiliates, only me, and i have a lot of them.

Veteran
    Undead/Cleric for ease of play. An almost-undead army with no food requirements. Guess it depends on what you mean by best, though. Probably loses out to Orc/Cleric in #s by quite a bit. Orc/warrior smashes through t/m like a wrecking ball.
    Elf/Merchant and Dwarf/Merchant are also easy and safe choices that are decent at any level for growth and warring. Elf/cleric is my choice for tanked attacker. No hosp required, and less dspa/wpa required to achieve same defensive #s.
    Sage good if you can keep sci. Dwarf/sage in particular can keep sci really well oow with the schools boost
    If you can feed a halfer/rogue during war, it'll be a monster at 50 mod tpa. It's a bit lacking in NW efficiency and econ, though, so really only shines in a KD-oriented setup. Players need to steal OOW to pump sci n stuff
    Mystic blah blah blah, same old. Human/mystic seems like a trap to me, so nothing new. Easy to hit when turtled, easy to hit when made hybrid, easy to op with thieves.
    Last edited by Nightmare_; 06-07-2014 at 00:30.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    tiggis gets it

Forum Fanatic
    would not like fae/sage as core - not enough attack power and you will not be able to nightstrike everything, plus rogues - especially halfer rogues - out-thief the fae/sage. they take a huge beating outside of war if they don't have schools.

Undead is poop, they will get nightstriked and fireballed left and right... UD gained nothing over last age and got lots of nerfs, unless the extra spec strength is counted as a bonus... really iffy at best.

Quote Originally Posted by noobium View Post

Halfer is pretty solid this age if they're going Rogue.
    The problem I have with Halfling/Rogue, as you went on to state later is that not only is it not versatile, but it can be largely mitigated by TD's, or Clear Sight. IMO, Fae/Rogue is a better choice for thief since they can bypass the dmg mitigation of TD's (not the fails though), as well as casting devastating FB's/NM's which cannot be mitigated. And there's ToG. Can't forget about ToG.

Post Fiend
    ET is fairly easy to pull off. especially by any sage province

Strategy Moderator
    Undead is poop, they will get nightstriked and fireballed left and right... UD gained nothing over last age and got lots of nerfs, unless the extra spec strength is counted as a bonus... really iffy at best.
    undead shoudl have a similar offense to dwarf/avain. They'll have none of the versitility mid war but they get plauge, one should not underestimate the power of plague.

Enthusiast
    The game is supposed to be designed to not favor a "best" combo.

That said I think faery rogue/mystic will be really strong with the +40% op damage and personality science bonuses ontop of already being strong last age. The spell book makes them stronger rogues than halfers IMO since they have ways to protect from eating magic ops 24/7. However, what will be interesting for TM this age is how to manage the need for military science that was not a concern previously. Will mystics and rogues still shoot for 250 BPA in their op science to get 100% bonus + their personality bonus? Or do they shoot for 100 BPA and let the personality bonus carry them to 100% effectiveness and then use the extra 150 BPA for military OE? That could let halfers skimp more on science and rely on their 50% racial and have higher science elsewhere... however no spell book still sucks, especially no ToG with those expensive ass elites.

Undead/merchant would be a strong combo, undead/cleric is redundant IMO, the 50% loss and 40% loss does not equal 90% loss protection.

Orc tact/cleric are both strong and a toss up for me - with the foreseeable uptick in rogues and sage a/t provinces clear sight could be very helpful in addition to a core of attackers with RM running which can result in persistent MS reflected onto enemy TM provs. Tactician -20% atk speed and cleric -40% losses are roughly equivalent land savings of about 20% barracks/hospitals. However, no hospitals could mean some nasty long plagues.

I dislike avian so I didn't bother putting a lot of consideration into them.

Dwarves are good but require people to be active and good to play well. You have to be ready to flip flop builds and really utilize the free building as well as keep ontop of MA every tic to negate ops. A dwarf going into war with 15% stables then razing them and maintaining army in/out is strong because that lets you reallocate a lot of land.. but a lot of people would fail at that and end up losing horses or just sitting on 15% stables all war.

I like humans but I am torn on the personality choice. I see humans having a ***** of a time outside war doing anything because that elite cost is going to be debilitating if trying to do learns/plunders. Therefor cleric really helps in that regard with preventing losses.

Sage in general could be really interesting. If your KD manages to get 3-4 war wins in a row and your science snowballs you could see sage being functional on both a HA or Hybrid. Orc sage in a powerful 25 man KD could sit and farm science off everyone and be rocking a +40% effectiveness boosted 1500+ BPA, would be nasty. However, if your KD loses 3 wars in a row and you have ****ty science sage just puts you in giant hole, so it is a gamble. I probably wouldn't run an entire core of sages unless I was a top growth KD that knew they could sit and pump science with CFs issued all over.
    Last edited by Cry0; 06-07-2014 at 18:08.
    #jesters
    - === Interested in joining? === -

Post Demon
    I'm faery/sage. Can pretty much switch to any role during war. It's so versatile!

Scribe
    Elf merchant, because i feel like it will be the most effective turtle attacker and turtles win wars. Decently efficient turtle elite with dspec bonus and minus losses to defense. Natural wpa to help protect pezzies when you accumulate acres and start ToGing. Extra credits work in tandem with dspec bonus towards dragon slaying.

Veteran
    would not like fae/sage as core - not enough attack power and you will not be able to nightstrike everything, plus rogues - especially halfer rogues - out-thief the fae/sage. they take a huge beating outside of war if they don't have schools.

You underestimate Undead. :P It didn't gain anything over last age as far as elite training goes, but due to the changes in elite costs it's quite convenient. No food, no hosp as cleric; ~18% land? -70% losses on offense, -40% on defense. If you're worried about NS, stack WTs. Sure it's more vulnerable than an orc with an elite army, but only 1.5x more if you have 50:50 spec:elite army. What's more, it's basically a 6 offense army for 5.25 NW, which isn't bad at all. It will basically never die unless you chain it or op it. T/m are disinclined to attack it for fear of plague. It's a human/merch tog and dwarf QF/MA ruiner. What undead loses in pure strength it gains in convenience. In comparison, dwarf needs some manipulation to be at its best. However, players who like to micromanage a lot to keep their prov in tip top shape would probably like it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Cry0 View Post
    Undead/merchant would be a strong combo, undead/cleric is redundant IMO, the 50% loss and 40% loss does not equal 90% loss protection.
    Yep, undead/merchant could potentially be better than undead/cleric, provided you have the peasants and guilds/towers to tog. I guess I'll just say that it depends.
    Last edited by Nightmare_; 07-07-2014 at 01:58.

Thread Information