Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: AMA vs PewPew

Enthusiast
    Congratz to pew2. Very nicely done. Can we hear some of tactics, thoughts, plans from the people involved here? Cello, petrified?

From an outsiders (with a tiny bit of info on top of just kdpages) it looks like main problem for AMA was their prep compared to Pew2. Very low gc stocks, too low wpa (defense and offence wise), and the dragged hostile with the change to normal stance at some point didnt seem to have the desired effect either.

I think we all understand its pretty freaking hard to beat a KD with that many tog races in eow CF in a short time prep, but would prepping earlier instead of exploring more have made a difference?

And why the change to normal stance? Made little sense from an outsiders pov

Forum Fanatic
    Well played both. Looked like a fun war.

I am surprised to say it was. AMA did a lot better than I expected after the hostile. (I think the dragged hostile hurt them a lot because they were so run dependent or so it seemed to me). I think its just awesome that they tried even after we offered them the CF about 4?6? hrs before they declared.
    "having fun warring when you have whoring and number 1 as a goal is totally pointless..." - Korp
    "while I heart shiester when we both play serious and are in the same kingdom, I hate shiester on the forums and pretty much disagree with everything he says. Even he knows this." - Flogger asking me out on a date

The devs have made a decision to kill competitive utopia and have thereby killed my interest with it.

Forum Addict
    Yeah could we get some 'serious' after-war info? That's the point of the news-page! This should be the fun part where we all discuss strategy!
    umunk.net
    Contact me if you want munkbot (find me on irc or on email).

from our side, I think we need to wait for pet for that. Everyone else in pew was just a drone....... or pet is a control freak.... I am still deciding....
    "having fun warring when you have whoring and number 1 as a goal is totally pointless..." - Korp
    "while I heart shiester when we both play serious and are in the same kingdom, I hate shiester on the forums and pretty much disagree with everything he says. Even he knows this." - Flogger asking me out on a date

The devs have made a decision to kill competitive utopia and have thereby killed my interest with it.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Wow, nice win Pew

Thx for the war AMA
    Iam sure Petrified will be here with a short post of sorts (Iam not, but im trying to be polite)
    Snakes
    PewPEW
    Divinity
    Emeriti

Non of my nubs speak for my KD

Veteran
    There wasn't much to it. I believe they overexplored during the 4 days of prep they had. The extended hostile was a bit odd too considering we were doing much more damage to them (halfers especially) than they were doing to us. Ultimately my 17tog + 8orc setup allowed for very strong prep during our 4 day eowcf so we had a major military and gc stock advantage despite being way smaller (20k vs 27k I think). AMA could have maybe saved some land by playing it differently but I don't think they could have won.

AMA had much more wpa than us on their UDs. Nubs (like L3) would deal with that by letting the UDs grow to dilute their wpa. Instead I tried to focus on hitting them down to cut their rune supply. Can't keep too many towers if you are exchanging half of your land every wave. Prior to the conflict I also ordered my kd to run builds that would intentionally rune starve ourselves so there is less for AMA to steal. Runes kept becoming more and more scarce until any kind of NM runs became impossible. AMAs UDs were sitting on high mana, high wpa and no runes. This allowed all my larger out of NW range dwarves to become completely safe thereby ending the war.
    pew pew. Absolutely none of my nubs speak for my kingdom.

Forum Fanatic
    No Runes, No ops. Smart. I guess the thievery ops kind of suck for Und / mystics.

Enthusiast
    inb4 proteus saying petrified such a scrub bad leader.
    Beauty of Absalom->Redemption of Absalom->Trinity of Absalom
    Acres->Infinity->Havoc of Absalom->Cromulent Republic
    7x crown winner. Genesis Tripple Crown. 3rd largest nw prov in history of game.

Forum Fanatic
    inb4 proteus says he doesn't play in AMA anymore and mentions a crown from 10+ ages ago.

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrified View Post
    There wasn't much to it. I believe they overexplored during the 4 days of prep they had. The extended hostile was a bit odd too considering we were doing much more damage to them (halfers especially) than they were doing to us. Ultimately my 17tog + 8orc setup allowed for very strong prep during our 4 day eowcf so we had a major military and gc stock advantage despite being way smaller (20k vs 27k I think). AMA could have maybe saved some land by playing it differently but I don't think they could have won.

AMA had much more wpa than us on their UDs. Nubs (like L3) would deal with that by letting the UDs grow to dilute their wpa. Instead I tried to focus on hitting them down to cut their rune supply. Can't keep too many towers if you are exchanging half of your land every wave. Prior to the conflict I also ordered my kd to run builds that would intentionally rune starve ourselves so there is less for AMA to steal. Runes kept becoming more and more scarce until any kind of NM runs became impossible. AMAs UDs were sitting on high mana, high wpa and no runes. This allowed all my larger out of NW range dwarves to become completely safe thereby ending the war.
    thx, well played! Rune supply is a major ***** early age -- it helped us win vs pyro war OOP last age aswell. Spending all your mana on 500a requires like a million towers. Ain't fun.
    umunk.net
    Contact me if you want munkbot (find me on irc or on email).

Quote Originally Posted by Petrified View Post

extended hostile was necessary, otherwise we'd have been even more at a disadvantage army-wise. That, rune shortage to perform proper NM waves, some flaws in activity on our side which allowed some of our undeads to get caught with elites home, and not addressing the dwarf peasants (original plan was to NM them down 2 at a time, bit overambitious :P ) right from the start allowing them to build up too much for us to handle them in the end. That's the cliff notes for why we lost.

As for why we declared even though we were offered a CF: we were prepping to war and the declare date had been set. We don't like to back down from fights, and I think we still held our own even though we were at a massive disadvantage when it came to raw army numbers and gc stock. Also, we were hoping to set an example that the game is much more fun if you fight and are good sports about it, than if you run/raze yourself down to avoid a fight. The other KD had better prep than you? So what, at least try to fight, don't just give up without even bothering and throwing away weeks of preparation.

Maximouse: we went normal because we couldn't really op from fortified into aggressive stance. We figured we could gain a little from ops and couldn't lose much more than we were already doing in a retalwar.
    Proudly played in: Mystic Aura, FREE, Fellatio/Vae Victis, Nexus, Seasons, Dreams, Polar Bears/AMA
    Crowned with Seasons in age 37 (honor), 39 (nw/land) and 41 (nw/land)
    Crowned with Dreams in age 50 (KD nw/land)
    Crowned with AMA in age 59 (KD nw)
    Crowned with Expendables in age 65 (KD nw/land)
    Crowned with Cellos Republic in age 66 (KD nw/land)
    Now playing in: Canadian Rebellion (not to be confused with Cromulent Republic or Cellos Republic, obviously)

Quote Originally Posted by Cello View Post
    extended hostile was necessary, otherwise we'd have been even more at a disadvantage army-wise. That, rune shortage to perform proper NM waves, some flaws in activity on our side which allowed some of our undeads to get caught with elites home, and not addressing the dwarf peasants (original plan was to NM them down 2 at a time, bit overambitious :P ) right from the start allowing them to build up too much for us to handle them in the end. That's the cliff notes for why we lost.

As for why we declared even though we were offered a CF: we were prepping to war and the declare date had been set. We don't like to back down from fights, and I think we still held our own even though we were at a massive disadvantage when it came to raw army numbers and gc stock. Also, we were hoping to set an example that the game is much more fun if you fight and are good sports about it, than if you run/raze yourself down to avoid a fight. The other KD had better prep than you? So what, at least try to fight, don't just give up without even bothering and throwing away weeks of preparation.

Maximouse: we went normal because we couldn't really op from fortified into aggressive stance. We figured we could gain a little from ops and couldn't lose much more than we were already doing in a retalwar.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

I like to post
    Im kind disappointed how civil are all posters.
    Where is all my loyal haters!!!

About war, i think we did few mistakes + we had slackers. Combined with Pew Pew big advantage army/gold its resulted to logic war loss for us.
    From other side now we have 4 days post war for train so its good price for extra 800 acres we loss compare accept Pew offer for CF. Same time its worked better for pew pew too so all gained something from war.
    “the mystery of life isn’t a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.”
    ― Frank Herbert, Dune

“I should've suspected trouble when the coffee failed to arrive.”
    ― Frank Herbert, Dune

Thread Information