Thread: When to train troops

Post Fiend

When to train troops

My question is, during EOWCF/Fort when you have the capacity to run low draft rate for x amount of time then draft at emer+pat with arms for training, when is the correct time to train the elites.

I believe the default answer is to train when training time = time left in stance to minimise the wages you need to pay, correct me if I'm wrong here.

The reason I ask is because of the effects of the diminishing BE on arms on elite training cost vs the cost in increased wages to see if it is worthwhile to start training earlier as the increase in elite cost > cost in wages?

Has anyone thought about this/simed it before? I expect that it depends on too many factors to provide a hard/fast rule. However, as both the increased elite cost and wages relate to number of leets to train there might be.

You are correct, BE takes some time to drop so you'll still gain GCs by drafting hard and late whilst stockpiling gc from your increased peas count and then doing a training dump.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Forum Addict
    It also depends on how comfortable you are about carrying tens of millions of gc with only a couple of elites as defense. Plunders into EOWCF aren't very nice but they happen.

Other than that, yes. BE takes a while to drop. But it isn't linear. For a dwarf for example it could very well be dropping by something like 20% during 48h of drafting.

You could overbuild arms to compensate, but I'd suggest you just keep track of your BE, elite cost and soldiers at the earliest and latest opportunity to train during your next EOWCF, that should give you enough data to answer the question without having to simulate the whole situation.

The idea is to draft hard and fast while havving high Building efficient, just like wages/military efficiency, BE takes time to drop/raise.... so while your on 35% draft and 100%+ building efficiency, you turn draft on with patriotism and mass draft then train your soldiers, And when your afinally drafted up to 60%+ your building efficiency should still be higher than normally should keeping your armouries at high efficiency overall while training.... Train your exspensive elites first while BE is high, then once you get your 8-10 epa train the tpa u need( as thrieves are only 350gc in eowcf) then top your draft off with the cheap specs( should mostly be trained with spec credits,) leaving you with an abundance of gold to burn up after Cf on rushed sciences...that is if hounding get hawked by other players or larger kingdoms looking for free resources.

Post Fiend
    Thanks for the replies so far guys. I think I wasn't clear enough with my question so will give an example. These are made up numbers as I'm not sure how quickly BE drops but I was quite conservative with this rate.

t is latest training time, t-1 is one tick prior

Prov stats:
    Elite cost: 1250gc
    Arms%: 20%
    solds: 1000
    Wage rate: 200%
    t BE: 99.5%
    t-1 BE: 100%

So, if train 900 solds at t-1 and 100 at t, cost will be

t-1
    1250*.7*76*900= 598500gc

Extra wage cost:
    900/14*.5*2*.8*0.6816 = 35gc

t
    1250*.7*7612*100 = 66605

Total: 665140

Training 1k solds at t

1250*1000*.7*0.7612 = 666050

t-1 - t = 665140-666050
    = -910gc

So, with a .5% reduction in BE, training the previous tick saves you 910gc/1k solds. Which is pretty damn minimal, but I thought it would be interesting to see. This does also suggest that it might be worth training up even earlier.

I assumed a 100 sold draft for the last tick, if this is smaller (which it would be if your final sold amount was 1k) then t-1 proves even more beneficial

If I've made any glaring errors please let me know.

Veteran
    The thing with training earlier is that you then need to start paying wages - so you need to factor in what the wages would be and compare that against the cost differential of the BE.

Post Fiend
    Gidoza, I did take that into account. If you look there is a line that says extra wage cost. This takes into account the extra one tick where you will be paying for 1/14th of the total troops you trained.

I've looked into it in a bit more detail, simulating a prov drafting at emer + pat and when they start training. I've lowered the drop in BE to .1% / tick, if anyone has a reliable number that'd be great. For any time I've looked at (up to 14h before latest time to train) it is CHEAPER to train earlier.

The points are:
    The wages are virtually irrelevant with the amount of arms you have + IA
    Training large amounts of soldiers means that a small difference in BE -> small change in elite cost becomes a much larger number.

Forum Fanatic
    rotating in your armories while you are drafting has the effect of temporarily improve building efficiency as well.

Enthusiast
    If you are drafting very hard/deep then the arms bonus on draft cost is quite effecient. If arms are already in and your leets are expensive it is normally better to train tickly as "saving from arms BB" > "wages." Depends how phat you are and how expensive leets are.

Thread Information