Thread: Feary M/t defensive tactics

Regular

Question Feary M/t defensive tactics

Question for you all. As some of the forum regulars may know already, I was rather annoyed by the changes to the game since I played last. Ive been trying to adjust to the new mentality of offense is your best defense. I have found a kingdom worthy of defending me however I remember many people suggesting keeping a standing army to deter people from attacking me. Fear of retal. Now a thought that came to my mind, would it be worth it to devote like 5% of my land to stables so my elites would have horses? Would anyone be deterred from attacking a Feary province if it had horses amassed to match elites? I know it wouldn't be much of an offense...just wondering if it would even be enough to matter?

Forum Fanatic
    They wouldn't be deterred, but 5% stables on a Faery is useful for creating the offense necessary to send out safely, or at least safer than without them, once war starts. You would really want to be able to mass nightmare/nightstrike as a kingdom, and have an appropriate target lined up - most likely an attacker of equal or greater acreage, who would have the offense to tear apart your top and needs to be brought down asap.

While the stables are decent for retal purposes, Faery elites are expensive and they can't afford to spend land on hospitals, so you really would want to avoid retaliating. Better to have attackers close enough to your size to retal on your behalf. Still, having the option to retal - or to hit into an exposed attacker with 15-20dpa oow - is better than not having that option. You don't need stables for that, but stables are useful for reducing not just how exposed you are to attack, but for reducing the number of elites spent on those retals.
    Of course if you have offspecs then retaliation is a lot easier, but offspecs on faery (or halfer for that matter) are problematic for so many reasons.

Post Demon
    Would never run stables as a faery. If you need to send out you can always wait for some army to come home and steal their horses --> 2-3 ops and you'll have enough for every troop sent.

Strategy Moderator
    if you're scared of being hit as a feary run schools/hospitals. Its better to minimize the damage done then waste your def ambushing/hitting. Feary/elf/halfling are typically still about runing as much def as you can. The "offense is the best def" for these prov comes in by have attackers in you kd that can retal for you.

Post Demon
    Agree with Persain. There is no way you can effectively defend yourself as a faery. On top of that you usually have more recourses than attackers (both science and gold/runes), so in a trade-off you'll always lose.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Bukharistan View Post
    Would never run stables as a faery. If you need to send out you can always wait for some army to come home and steal their horses --> 2-3 ops and you'll have enough for every troop sent.
    I ran stables last age :p

I wasn't a TM...but yea. Ran high homes too lol

Forum Fanatic
    I ran stables last age :p

Regular
    I tried running stables when I rerolled Elf for a few weeks. I didn't get attacked nearly as much as my first Feary province did, but I also had a slightly different build all together so I can't really attribute the lack of attacks to just the horses / army.

Veteran
    Homes and hospitals are key. 10-20% homes and 10% hosp will go a long way to improve your raw numbers and sustainability. If you're talking about being hit OOW, not much point to retaliate. You'll just lose. Let others cover for you. If they can't, well, that's another story - tough luck.

No need to build stables. In war, if you're active, just steal horses from people whose armies come home. OOW, schools/forts likely have better utility anyway.

I wouldn't run stables on a fae t/m. On a hybrid maybe. Your best way to increase that off or def is to get a lot of pop sci under your belt. More pop=bigger army. That strategy works on every race/pers ;)
    Player History

-Returned in Age 55: "Happy Grasslands" Undead Cleric in WE KC (M)
    -Age 56: "Cortez the Killer" Elf Mystic in WE KC (M)
    -Age 57 1st Half: "KC March of the Penguins" Avian Warrior in WE KC (M)
    -Age 57 2nd Half: "Granny Smith" Halfling Rogue in TFC
    -Age 58: "A Horse With No Name - America" Halfling Rogue in HRS Partial (S)
    -Age 59 1st Half: "Birthday Cake Remix" Avian Cleric in HRS
    -Age 59 2nd Half: "Birthday Cake Remix" Avian Cleric in AC
    (S)
    -Age 60 1st Half: "Beaver" Elf Mystic in AC (M)
    -Age 60 2nd Half: "I don t want" Undead Tactician in Allstars
    -Age 61: "trizzle my wizzle" Undead Tactician in Allstars
    -Age 62: "Tras19 is amazed by midgets" Dwarf Sage in Beastblood (CROWN x 2)
    -Age 63 yr 1-12: "To learn his Elfabet" Avian Merchant in Beastblood
    -Age 63 yr 12-14: "Thanks for the death Flogger" Orc Tactician in Beastblood
    -Age 64 yr 1-6: "Lust and Thrust" Halfling Rogue in PewPew
    -Age 65: "back yet again" Elf Merchant in Old Skool (M)
    -Return again in Age 67: "Whimsyton" Elf Merchant in the ghetto
    -Age 68 1st Half: "This Girl is on Shire" Halfling Rogue in The Shirish Mafia (M)
    -Return Yet Again in Age 76 2nd Half: "Happy Grasslands" Dark Elf Paladin in BOL
    -Age 77: "?" Human Sage in ? (M)

Noteworthy Achievments

*** Age 62: Books of War ... KD Land Crown and KD NW Crown Winner with Beastblood ***
    *** Was a member of The Faery Circle, yet have never played Faery ***
    *** Have never had a province die except once when I let Flogger province sit me for 24 hours in a war ***

Thread Information