Thread: Who benefits from weak world government?

Regular

Who benefits from weak world government?

The rich and powerful. One world government seems inevitable in the very long term but it seems many people truly detest the idea. Why? Obviously poor governance is dangerous, power corrupts, ect... but that is poor justification for an abhorrence of ANY type of world government. Our system should be INclusive, human rights should not stop at borders, and our leadership should be transparent as possible. I guarantee their IS world government right now, just behind closed doors. These people would like very much for you to fear the UN and "big government".

What do you strategists of utopialand think?

A world based government would be very difficult, if not impossible, to sustain. There would be so many differences to be considered that would break it. The first one that pops into my mind would be religion. Undoubtedly there are people who wish to see this happen and it may happen eventually but it wouldn't last. Most human empires last roughly 300 years or ten generations. A global government could have many benefits to the world and humanity as a whole if it were done correctly, but there are far too many barriers and differences that would need to be addressed to make it plausible. Human beings are very complex creatures and in many ways irrational as well as being afraid, or at least wary, of anyone different to ourselves. Also humans are very resistant to change, which I find humorous as we are very adaptable when we have no choice but to change and adapt to certain situations. I just don't really see the idea of a world government being plausible in the near future. It would be incredibly hard to manage and govern many things that are necessary for a government to do on such a large scale. Even in the United States there are problems in most if not all of the state governments as they try to manage a small part of the country and many state laws and federal laws are not compatible with each other. So the world would have to be divided into something akin to states or districts that would have to be one hundred percent loyal and in perfect compliance with the world government. And as communism taught us, power can get to peoples heads even when the intention of the government was to make things fair. You can't blame leaders for being corrupt or power hungry as I believe human beings are genetically predispositioned to have an insatiable desire to always accumulate more and more of everything. Human beings are just wired to always want to improve their lives, even if they have everything they need to live in relative comfort. So I think inevitably corruption would occur that would drive divisions between different regions/races/religions etc. so it could happen one day, but it would not last.
    Player History

-Returned in Age 55: "Happy Grasslands" Undead Cleric in WE KC (M)
    -Age 56: "Cortez the Killer" Elf Mystic in WE KC (M)
    -Age 57 1st Half: "KC March of the Penguins" Avian Warrior in WE KC (M)
    -Age 57 2nd Half: "Granny Smith" Halfling Rogue in TFC
    -Age 58: "A Horse With No Name - America" Halfling Rogue in HRS Partial (S)
    -Age 59 1st Half: "Birthday Cake Remix" Avian Cleric in HRS
    -Age 59 2nd Half: "Birthday Cake Remix" Avian Cleric in AC
    (S)
    -Age 60 1st Half: "Beaver" Elf Mystic in AC (M)
    -Age 60 2nd Half: "I don t want" Undead Tactician in Allstars
    -Age 61: "trizzle my wizzle" Undead Tactician in Allstars
    -Age 62: "Tras19 is amazed by midgets" Dwarf Sage in Beastblood (CROWN x 2)
    -Age 63 yr 1-12: "To learn his Elfabet" Avian Merchant in Beastblood
    -Age 63 yr 12-14: "Thanks for the death Flogger" Orc Tactician in Beastblood
    -Age 64 yr 1-6: "Lust and Thrust" Halfling Rogue in PewPew
    -Age 65: "back yet again" Elf Merchant in Old Skool (M)
    -Return again in Age 67: "Whimsyton" Elf Merchant in the ghetto
    -Age 68 1st Half: "This Girl is on Shire" Halfling Rogue in The Shirish Mafia (M)
    -Return Yet Again in Age 76 2nd Half: "Happy Grasslands" Dark Elf Paladin in BOL
    -Age 77: "?" Human Sage in ? (M)

Noteworthy Achievments

*** Age 62: Books of War ... KD Land Crown and KD NW Crown Winner with Beastblood ***
    *** Was a member of The Faery Circle, yet have never played Faery ***
    *** Have never had a province die except once when I let Flogger province sit me for 24 hours in a war ***

Needs to get out more
    Never have faith in institutions, particularly if your moral bias is good. The good must stand apart, play behind the scenes, and navigate what they can influence subtly. A good soul knows this and a good soul is oftentimes alone. The good return to task after failure. Those who aren't good may attempt an act of good and upon failure exhibit disdain and destruction.
    We see this in the so called 'playa' mentality where some broken hearted sap now makes it their business to hurt others and gets some satisfaction from it. You think high powered elitists are any different?

World government is assuring an all consuming evil. Do you know why? Because regardless of aim these things will be done based on efficiencies. Quantitative gain over qualitative. You have to look at the world in a sobering light. Let's take welfare in the US. The rednecks don't want it or vote for it because they feel like they're paying for slackers. The poor that benefit don't vote by statistical analysis. So where do these things come from?

Let's look at the bank bailout. There was an argument that these banks would lose talent. As I am this very moment from my blue collar understanding, there is no possible way I could lose the money the way these banks did. You understand these things aren't accidents. It's not conspiracy. These are elitists doing what elitists do.

Recall US history. The slaying of buffalo herds, the purposeful annihilation of natives. We aren't Americans that popped up from hell, we came from you; the eastern world. To further explain the elitist mentally you need look no further than The Great White Hunter. You realize these guys don't care if they practice genocide on any number of creatures. The most important thing is that they shot the last one. You ever see the pictures of the massive ancient trees felled in the American West? Yes, they took pictures of themselves. And today regard the urban sprawl that litters the American countryside. Conquer by gun, conquer by pen, conquer by power.

The rich and powerful will always make decisions on the big picture. I have an understanding of the difference between the elite and the noble. I have known noble men and with them I find an ally. Nobles are heavily outnumbered by elitists. Never mistake one for the other. One world government is diametrically opposed to good, no matter what Star Trek teaches. Good must prevail for a union to benefit the least of my brother, otherwise you're condemning them to any variation of slavery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by ImpiousXIII View Post
    The rich and powerful. One world government seems inevitable in the very long term but it seems many people truly detest the idea. Why? Obviously poor governance is dangerous, power corrupts, ect... but that is poor justification for an abhorrence of ANY type of world government. Our system should be INclusive, human rights should not stop at borders, and our leadership should be transparent as possible. I guarantee their IS world government right now, just behind closed doors. These people would like very much for you to fear the UN and "big government".

What do you strategists of utopialand think?
    Realistically I think the only way a world government would ever be practical is if we not only discovered intelligent life outside of earth, but a whole "community" of extraterrestrial life for us to segregate ourselves from.

There isn't anything in the universe that humans feel they need the most protection from than other humans. Without giving all of humanity something to unite/compete against (the way other countries compete with each other), we'll never unite.

Strato, it's like the banks making all the sub prime loans to people they knew wouldn't be able to pay, and they knew this so they got insurance on it to make even more money. They obviously knew what they were doing and what was gonna happen. Then they ask for government bailout money and gave themselves more bonuses lmao. So corrupt. Totally gaming the system.

Palem is spot on, without a common enemy to unite humanity, we will always be fighting each other over trivial differences. Sad really.
    Player History

-Returned in Age 55: "Happy Grasslands" Undead Cleric in WE KC (M)
    -Age 56: "Cortez the Killer" Elf Mystic in WE KC (M)
    -Age 57 1st Half: "KC March of the Penguins" Avian Warrior in WE KC (M)
    -Age 57 2nd Half: "Granny Smith" Halfling Rogue in TFC
    -Age 58: "A Horse With No Name - America" Halfling Rogue in HRS Partial (S)
    -Age 59 1st Half: "Birthday Cake Remix" Avian Cleric in HRS
    -Age 59 2nd Half: "Birthday Cake Remix" Avian Cleric in AC
    (S)
    -Age 60 1st Half: "Beaver" Elf Mystic in AC (M)
    -Age 60 2nd Half: "I don t want" Undead Tactician in Allstars
    -Age 61: "trizzle my wizzle" Undead Tactician in Allstars
    -Age 62: "Tras19 is amazed by midgets" Dwarf Sage in Beastblood (CROWN x 2)
    -Age 63 yr 1-12: "To learn his Elfabet" Avian Merchant in Beastblood
    -Age 63 yr 12-14: "Thanks for the death Flogger" Orc Tactician in Beastblood
    -Age 64 yr 1-6: "Lust and Thrust" Halfling Rogue in PewPew
    -Age 65: "back yet again" Elf Merchant in Old Skool (M)
    -Return again in Age 67: "Whimsyton" Elf Merchant in the ghetto
    -Age 68 1st Half: "This Girl is on Shire" Halfling Rogue in The Shirish Mafia (M)
    -Return Yet Again in Age 76 2nd Half: "Happy Grasslands" Dark Elf Paladin in BOL
    -Age 77: "?" Human Sage in ? (M)

Noteworthy Achievments

*** Age 62: Books of War ... KD Land Crown and KD NW Crown Winner with Beastblood ***
    *** Was a member of The Faery Circle, yet have never played Faery ***
    *** Have never had a province die except once when I let Flogger province sit me for 24 hours in a war ***

Get rid of money and the concept of banking, and replace with a measured system of energy units. (good luck) Then convince everyone we need a full accounting of the world's resources by region. (good luck) Then construct an advanced resource allocation and delivery system based on the aforementioned energy unit system. Now automate as many systems as possible and have the resource allocation and delivery system control as many of those systems as possible. Train as many techs and engineers as possible to build and upgrade the system.

Enjoy the exciting world of technocracy as you are now freed from tedious labor and are now free to think and create, raise a family and relax. (good luck)

Sounds like a very deterministic and optimized society.

Post Demon
    Quote Originally Posted by StratOcastle View Post
    Never have faith in institutions, particularly if your moral bias is good. The good must stand apart, play behind the scenes, and navigate what they can influence subtly. A good soul knows this and a good soul is oftentimes alone. The good return to task after failure. Those who aren't good may attempt an act of good and upon failure exhibit disdain and destruction.
    We see this in the so called 'playa' mentality where some broken hearted sap now makes it their business to hurt others and gets some satisfaction from it. You think high powered elitists are any different?

World government is assuring an all consuming evil. Do you know why? Because regardless of aim these things will be done based on efficiencies. Quantitative gain over qualitative. You have to look at the world in a sobering light. Let's take welfare in the US. The rednecks don't want it or vote for it because they feel like they're paying for slackers. The poor that benefit don't vote by statistical analysis. So where do these things come from?

Let's look at the bank bailout. There was an argument that these banks would lose talent. As I am this very moment from my blue collar understanding, there is no possible way I could lose the money the way these banks did. You understand these things aren't accidents. It's not conspiracy. These are elitists doing what elitists do.

Recall US history. The slaying of buffalo herds, the purposeful annihilation of natives. We aren't Americans that popped up from hell, we came from you; the eastern world. To further explain the elitist mentally you need look no further than The Great White Hunter. You realize these guys don't care if they practice genocide on any number of creatures. The most important thing is that they shot the last one. You ever see the pictures of the massive ancient trees felled in the American West? Yes, they took pictures of themselves. And today regard the urban sprawl that litters the American countryside. Conquer by gun, conquer by pen, conquer by power.

The rich and powerful will always make decisions on the big picture. I have an understanding of the difference between the elite and the noble. I have known noble men and with them I find an ally. Nobles are heavily outnumbered by elitists. Never mistake one for the other. One world government is diametrically opposed to good, no matter what Star Trek teaches. Good must prevail for a union to benefit the least of my brother, otherwise you're condemning them to any variation of slavery.
    An interesting outlook, but I can only partially agree.

The main source of our woes has always been lazyness and greed, pure and simple: The drive to maximize personal income while minimizing labor with no intellectual rigor with regard to sustainability (ie, what would happen to society if everyone did as I do across generations?).

This trait characterizes the welfare bum and the top 1% alike (some may work hard, but in the end, the effort the top 1% puts per unit of income they receive is minimal and the thought process they put toward the consequences of their actions is even lower).

As humans, we are good at justifying ourselves (we do have to look at ourselves in the mirror every morning and preferably not hang ourselves, it's a survival mechanism). Elitism is a mechanism the rich and powerful use to justify overwhelming inequity: They argue that they can take from others, because they are more fit and deserving.

In the end, many people always want more and are too lazy to analyze the consequences of their wants and either don't want to or can't possibly work enough to obtain it. Lazyness and greed. Elitism is a coping mechanism some people with an over-abundance of those traits use to paliate their failings.
    Last edited by Magn; 10-10-2015 at 16:18.

Quote Originally Posted by BasketCase View Post
    Get rid of money and the concept of banking, and replace with a measured system of energy units. (good luck)
    Yup, good luck with that, also too easy to manipulate... oh I think I need to build another 20 nuclear reactors...
    Then convince everyone we need a full accounting of the world's resources by region. (good luck)
    Can probably quite reasonably be done already, at least the resources that are being mined.
    Then construct an advanced resource allocation and delivery system based on the aforementioned energy unit system.
    The well off countries will want things at least as good as they have it at the moment, because seriously who would voluntarily settle for less than they have. And the poor countries will want to have it better than they do at the moment, preferably as good as the one one the next step up on the ladder or better.
    Now automate as many systems as possible and have the resource allocation and delivery system control as many of those systems as possible. Train as many techs and engineers as possible to build and upgrade the system.
    Enjoy the exciting world of technocracy as you are now freed from tedious labor and are now free to think and create, raise a family and relax. (good luck)
    [/QUOTE]
    Well eventually we'll be able to automate the service and upgrading, and within the next 50-70 years scientists believe we'll have achieved the singularity event, at which point the thinking and creating will be outsourced to the machines as well.
    So possibly all that will be left is the arts, the human centred jobs where we dun want machine to take over... and relaxing :P Which is nice but it gets tedious in the long run.
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Who benefits from a strong government? The few rich and powerful, silly argument either way. America is not a Democracy but a Republic based on democratic values. The LAW should be the supreme government but chosen by the people and monitored by the people. The people just get fat lazy and comfortable.
    Before you can see the truth, you must be willing to accept it.

Thread Information