Generally I agree with you. The gov't should keep it's hands as far away from the economy as it can, accept in a few necessary areas. I consider health care to be a necessary area that has snowballed into a situation that's so unbelievably ridiculous that measures need to be taken to fix the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake2129 View Post
As for people in poor health, shouldn't they be turned down for insurance? You don't wait til your house is on fire to call and get homeowners. If you have a poor driving record don't you pay more or get denied coverage?
No, for a couple super important reasons (and just to point out, I do agree that they should be paying more for health insurance)
1. Private hospitals generally won't help you if you don't have insurance (outside of an emergency-type situation). People in poor health need to go to the hospital. Super big issue here.
2. People in "poor" health aren't necessarily in poor health. They're just more likely to cost the insurance company more money. Take my dad for instance. He had a liver transplant about 2 years ago. Outside of the medication he's on (which would cost him somewhere in the neighborhood of $100,000 per year without insurance), he's perfectly healthy. However, if he tried to apply for insurance, nope. No way. If he loses his job (and trust me, they did their best to try to get him outta there) he's screwed. He'll most likely have to apply for disability even though he's not even remotely disabled. All because he was born with a wonky chromosome. This isn't a rare story in the slightest. There's thousands upon thousands of people that have their entire lives (and the lives of their families) wrecked because the medical bills are too high and most often it's because of something they had absolutely no control over. It's not an issue of "unfairness" as much as it is an issue of other people massively profiteering off of people's lives in completely unavoidable ways.

B)
1) If you lock up your firearms properly that really isn't an issue? I don't live alone either, and my firearms are safely stored and locked up, unloaded, with the ammunition in another location.
2) Call the police and wait?
3) I'm pretty sure mass shootings would go down if everyone around them also had a gun to stop them...I am also pretty sure that you don't need a gun to commit mass killings and all of that can be obtained legally as well.
Explain to me how a gun that's locked up in a safe with ammo that located in another place is going to help me protect my home in a sudden emergency?
As you have pointed out, there are other methods to attack/defend yourself other than guns. I'm perfectly comfortable using those methods.