Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Amber Room ~ Age 63 Virtual Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by StratOcastle View Post
    Virtual Divisions:

While we are saddened to see any reputable kingdoms struggle to survive to the point of breakup we must turn our attention to the possibility of a new life here in The Virtual Kingdom. I've been contacted by a number of players this age in failing kingdoms. It pulls my heart strings because primarily I've been a volunteer to help kingdoms in distress.

Instead of happenstance migration we could work toward a kingdom that both offers these kingdoms the muscle of relevance and the opportunity to preserve the culture that made them reknown contenders. Here we allow these kingdoms to function in the tight synergy of their best 8 players, independently as a division. Obviously there's a kingdom theater strategy that all 3 divisions work toward, but individual identity is at the forefront of the ideal.

The evolution of The Virtual Kingdom began as a celebration of the game in it's diversity. We celebrate this in the pageantry of each division having one representative of each personality and race. It's been mentioned here before, but I believe we need to ring this bell to enlighten those who are struggling. We have a kingdom culture. We have divisional culture.

The evolution of divisions is directly related to my experience trying to help fragmented kingdoms. It's time to stop fighting to recruit and have it be our strength. I'm asking the few that hang on through thick and thin to join 2 other kingdoms fighting the same recruitment battle. It may seem a compromise at first to merge and sacrifice total power. It may seem a compromise to diversify your division equally by personality and race, but consider the long view.

By offering each player a specialized role we entice their desire to shine in their own way in a team environment. This is about active team oriented players hand picked by each of the 3 kingdoms. You then have 2 other divisions to learn from, to teach to and to compete with. We are passionate about the strat despite the strat. Learn as I have that it will become important in the right way rather than a liability.

I want you to look at the 2 top kingdoms fighting for the land crown, CR vs Pyro. How far off are we? Look at the competition with homogenous cores and you'll note the pattern of winning has been by these 2 strats. And these are top kingdoms honed to razor sharp efficiency. Behold the balance in the attacker core here in The Virtual Kingdom. Behold the balance in the t/m core. I'm not saying it's superior I'm saying we have balance and we have player attention.

I'm not throwing American Badass under the bus, but wouldn't you say his desire to play has been heightened since losing his faery to PK? We can joke, but as the CR strat became more balanced the more impressive the victories have been. Players that feel they make a difference tend to make a difference.
    Very well written, I love your love of the game :D
    #magi

Needs to get out more
    Quote Originally Posted by khronosschoty View Post
    Very well written, I love your love of the game :D
    Thank you khronosschoty. I sense your love of the game as well. I'm honored.

On a subject that seems to elude me through writing I forget to mention, I don't put this Virtual Kingdom here with any desire to lead. The reasons may seem unrelated but I'll explain. I'm not pursuing power or monarchy.

As a student of art I became aware of different mediums of expression and performance. I'm terrible at performing arts but I love music and how it's made. My expression is in the 'still life' projects related to what I love. In my musical world I'm working on a guitar project, in here it's kingdom framework.

With the guitar I'm planning I could use any design I choose. I chose character over performance because performance is out there in spades. For those who know, a Jackson USA Soloist is a beautiful machine in the best way and a Rickenbacker 381v69 is not. Ah, but the Ric. Check out the John Kay of Steppenwolf signature guitar if you like them in black.
    But to get back on track, I've chosen the woods which has taken years. Each hardware component not just chosen for performance, but comfort and congruence with the total design. No expense was spared right down to the titanium truss rod. The most expensive things aren't always the best fit and were passed on after consideration. These things weren't contemplated; I have to have it in my hands, see it with my eyes to determine it's inclusion.
    I could've designed another Jackson Soloist, but they make an awful good one already. I'm designing everything I want in this narrow range guitar because I have other guitars that do all the other things.
    But I'm not a decent player. All I'm doing is created a legacy to be handed down to a more capable player when the time comes.

Which brings me to...

I'm a giver, not a taker. Givers are best left to lead by example. My instinct are too giving to be in a position of power. In CF negotiations with a top 5 kingdom after trading retals I was asked if they could have some acreage back. I had already written half my apology and agreement when I realized I was giving my acres away with no compensation. It wasn't a greedy or angry move on my part as much as a demonstration of the non-aggressive approach I'm using this age.

For those that don't know, I'm only doing retal and explore; No unprovoked attacks. I enjoy the challenge and the experiment. I don't run around with a banner saying I'll retal, as I believe we should always expect retaliation. The other side is to see our community in it's rawest form. I want to see how they react to the most obvious liability of running in a kingdom as a single province. I'm easily PKed by almost every kingdom on the server. Recently I've had a friend join so now we're 2. Both our builds are in The Virtual Kingdom design. Not so tough with only 2.

The very fact that I'm not randoming should be noted as evidence of a giver. Leaders need to balance much more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

This is clearly a whiskey and cigar thread !
    It's a beautiful glass, nevermind half full or empty

Quote Originally Posted by copious View Post
    This is clearly a whiskey and cigar thread !
    What is a whiskey and cigar thread? :D
    #magi

Needs to get out more
    Quote Originally Posted by khronosschoty View Post
    What is a whiskey and cigar thread? :D
    The underground world of pms. Due to smoke nazis our culture has been driven into the dark where we bumped into whiskey aficionados. Now we share the comfort of good company and our love of liabilities. ;-)
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

Needs to get out more
    Breakdown:

Pyromaniacs

1- avian
    7- dwarf
    7- faery
    3- human
    5- orc
    2- undead

Beastblood

10- avian
    3- dwarf
    2- faery
    2- halfling
    3- human
    5- orc

CR

5- elf
    2- faery
    6- halfling
    5- human
    7- orc

The Amber Room

1- avian
    1- human
    ________
    Weed bowls

Needs to get out more
    In Conclusion:

The dirty truth no one tells a new or even a seasoned player is that your province isn't yours....in their grand design.

I'm here to tell you that your province is yours if you want.

Many probably forgot that when you signed into this game the introduction implies building your province with peasants and wizards, schools, war crafts, banks and homes. It mentions teamwork and all the active participant rhetoric one would expect.

However...

All over this game the meta is: you are a robot or you control robots. Bad kingdoms have bad robots or bad controllers. Good kingdoms the opposite. No one cares about your province.

When was the last time you heard an organized kingdom compliment a core province for exceeding expectations?
    You don't.
    Do you know why?
    Because they aren't permitted to exceed expectation. They can only do as they're told or disappoint.

This to me is the deepest problem in the game. We have powerful leaders dangle success in the face of ambitious players and they give their self determination away. If this meta culture was isolated to the areas of crown competition then it's not a problem. The thing is these meta gamers stick their head in others business based in their efficient mechanics to bully. Those bullies continue the bigger fish trend and the province gamer is faced with a few decisions.

My decision was to challenge the meta and play the game my way. I invite you to play the game your way. The Virtual Kingdom is about getting us together but a confident player doesn't require the template. This template is about fun and I'm sure it would do fine in this meta environment. I'm out here doing it and I'm doing it almost alone. I'm about 3000 acres give or take and have absorbed 112 attacks as of last count.

It's a game, so play it. ;-)
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 19-01-2015 at 13:45.
    ________
    Weed bowls

The Amber Room is the great mystery of the last century. For the sake of this, I went to St. Petersburg to look at http://https://petersburg.experthttp...om-in-pushkin/. Inspiration is guaranteed!

Needs to get out more
    Quote Originally Posted by masonlim View Post
    The Amber Room is the great mystery of the last century. For the sake of this, I went to St. Petersburg to look at http://https://petersburg.experthttp...om-in-pushkin/. Inspiration is guaranteed!
    Awesome. I'm glad you had the experience. Faith in humanity can be rekindled when timeless art like the Amber Room is reconstructed.
    ________
    Weed bowls

Thread Information