Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Question about homes.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    So you warred nubs that didn't think to deep chain the guy running high homes and no land incoming...?

Needs to get out more
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    So you warred nubs that didn't think to deep chain the guy running high homes and no land incoming...?
    But now he's read these answers and can navigate with a thus far sound philosophy. We could agree that lower tier kingdoms that aren't privy to Survey are commonplace(?).

Not aimed at you, but we talk a lot in here about caliber of opponent. A look at the charts will indicate the reality of peculiar strats are viable. I've been in one of those kingdoms in the current top 10.

What I'm getting at is 'we know what to do' in sooo many of these posts. The question is 'do we have the resources to make a province pay for an awkward strat?' . I'd say no by indication of the charts. This isn't to belittle the skill sets in game. We have a protracted player base.

We can be nice. I appeal to the posters who are new and trying to learn. The poster knows he went to the well and got away with it. We all know we can't do it every time. I've been in many kingdoms where guys have the growth through war thing figured out. A lot aren't too keen on how to handle a top spot or how to offer utility to their kingdom in war. The simple answer here is to be mom. Kick ass on bottom feeders and take care of the little ones.
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 02-11-2014 at 16:11.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Post Fiend
    If you are getting deep chained your prov is dead anyway, unless you are an UD, and then only maybe. No one gets out of a deep chain with much intact in any case. You could say that a deep chain could ruin basically any build that is run, especially when their army is home or not bringing in any acres...

They had much bigger fish to fry as my prov wasn't anywhere near the most dangerous. If they deep chained me because I am running high homes that would mean that our heavy attackers could run all over their kd, which I would also count as a win.

Its a strong and solid build, decent army with a good economy to boot. The high BE allowed me to keep the high pop before the war while still having effective buildings. Starting the war with as much advantages as possible is a no brainer. I went into war with about 18.5+ pop as army/thieves, which is about the equivalent of an attacker with no homes having a draft rate of around 70%. If I really wanted to, I could boost that up to 20-22+ pop for army/thieves and still get away with a decent BE% of around 110-120%, which would be the equivilent of a normal attacker drafting up to 84%+. This build isn't meant to be a heavy attacker, but rather a medium-ish attacker which suppresses enemy rogues and fund the dragon.

At any rate, homes on an attacker can make good sense if you are focusing on pure offense. ie. 10% homes gives you +1 pop/acre which you can use for elites (orc +7 raw opa: ~10+ mod opa), which could be much better than adding another 10% TGs to your 15-20% TGs @ 70% BE. TGs are inefficient when over 10% anyway.
    Last edited by dieaready; 02-11-2014 at 17:08.

Forum Fanatic
    lol, "deep chain" doesn't remove a province. that's what nubs need to understand, so long as a chain target has people in their nw range that they can attack, they are very much alive.
    it's rare for a kingdom to really execute a proper "deep chain", which removes the target from nw range of ANY attacker.

i got chained and wound up with 150-160BE as dwarf last age. was fun. you have to be able to micro your province to make it work, and educating 16+ people on how to do that isn't always easy. fortunately some people know this (better than i do), others don't.

i'd say dwarf with high homes is one of the more viable uses of homes-heavy, but you'd only do that if you had the time to pump properly, and it works better if you have the entire attacker core do it or something like it. in that case, you're only picking between keeping the homes (and +3-4 pez/acre) or removing the homes for military buildings and letting your ppa tank. most kingdoms would prefer to have war buildings over peasants, but i could see cases where a kingdom wants to retain their ppa.

doing homes-heavy by yourself is just silly. even if you're not chained, you're going to be isolated in some way, and likely turned into a landshell - or worse, a kidnap/prop farm - if you aren't chained outright. most likely course of action would be to wait for one or two waves for the homes-heavy target to pile up peasants, then drop them when they're nice and fat; if you have enough t/m strength to nightmare and nightstrike (or better, prop) it goes down fast.
    Last edited by noobium; 02-11-2014 at 23:35.

Thread Information