Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chained Avian

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by StratOcastle View Post
    My idea of doctrine is to present too many problems to control.
    Its a good idea in theory, but usually if you try to do too many things you will end up being good at nothing.

Post Demon
    My idea of doctrine is to present too many problems to control. I'm not saying it's the best, but I like it. So while there's always a slew of guys that say this or that can simply be chained just know I'm counting on that. It's not a challenge it's how I play.
    Exactly, our Kingdoms will be beaten up by Noobium's any day, but that doesn't we lose because of our set-up and builds pers?, there are so many more factors coming into play.

In the end any Kingdom is making tons of mistakes each war through miscommunication and personal faults. Those that can spot them and act on the situation will in the end prevail.

Example: One of our enemy Elves had watchtowers under construction which came in 1 tick after war started. We sent sapphire and AWed his wpa from 3.5 to 1 in a matter of minutes. That province was out of the war. Had we waited a little longer this opportunity had been gone.

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Bukharistan View Post
    Thing is, 9/10 we do fight bad/non-top Kingdoms, so I have nothing to worry about. As I said, in theory the combination doesn't work against an opposition that knows exactly what it's doing, but it holds great advantages against those that don't.

I play this game to enjoy myself, to have fun. Dwarf/rogue let's me have fun and I'm still not convinced it's such a bad comb. I will be running higher def than the rest of my kd, I will spam MA to stop NM-waves, my tpa will make sure thieves can't rip me apart as easily. And last but not least, my comb allows me to both plunder AND steal OOW, giving me nearly infinite money-supplies that can be put into more sci.

Apart from the fact that I will be running 20% schools at any time this age apart from war-time ^^

I'm not sure in which KD you play, but we're not a KD that gives away stuff for free (unless we have a deal). You might've seen that movie about those 300 naked men defending a mountain pass against a gay Arab with mutant-soldiers. That's us :)
    Getting way off the original topic here but... LOL, you just proved my point about how easy it is for people to think they're doing good, because they only fighting against competition that sucks. So frustrating that I have to tell these things to people several times before they finally realize they should have listened to me from the start, instead of telling me I'm an idiot and getting themselves (and me) slaughtered due to false confidence, and my reputation ruined because of others stupidity.

Post Demon
    Getting way off the original topic here but... LOL, you just proved my point about how easy it is for people to think they're doing good, because they only fighting against competition that sucks. So frustrating that I have to tell these things to people several times before they finally realize they should have listened to me from the start, instead of telling me I'm an idiot and getting themselves (and me) slaughtered due to false confidence, and my reputation ruined because of others stupidity.
    I think we agree on that you are 100% right. Dwarf/rogue isn't an ideal comb at the top, I'll gladly admit that. It's just that on our level and with the coordination we have I can make it work by playing smart. Who knows, 1 or 2 wars this age I will get ripped apart and you can tell me "I told you so". Then again, if everyone has to run maximized set-ups and builds they could just aswell forbid people from taking anything but those combs when choosing race/personality.

I don't think I'm doing well in your way of putting it, I'm doing well enough to enjoy myself, that's what matters for me. Dwarf/Rogue has everything in it that makes me enjoy the game. I like high BE, I like stealing things, I like swapping buildings in and out. I like both the thrill of thievery ops with their random fail-rate and the calculated damage of attacking. By the same token I allowed a couple of my guys to go UD this age even though I wanted a full Orc core. It's just because these guys like the challange of OOW hitting to boost their elites.

Forum Fanatic
    i'm not at the top. :(

dwarf/rogue (or any attacking rogue) simply doesn't work as a solitary province. you have to build your kingdom around the use of attacking rogues in order to make the setup work... and even then the attacking rogue setup is mostly a thing to do for fun and for warring kingdoms, not something that will grow big on charts. if you had say 6-8 dwarf/rogue and the rest of your kingdom were built around the concept of using ops rather than huge offense, then you have a chance, but that kind of setup faces a lot of problems in hostile. the worse is that your defense is probably not enough to stop attackers from 2tapping with nightmare support, or 1tapping you and 1-3 tapping an attacker in your kingdom. if you're in that spot, your province quickly becomes a liability. you'd have to build your kingdom around provinces that can turtle effectively to make it work (like say, human/dwarf setup last age).

anyway this has little to do with chained avian, except to show a point that you'd want to chain provinces that don't perform well post-chain, rather than just chain the biggest offense. avians, due to their speed bonus, work best at fighting battles at the lower end of the nw tier, where their lackluster offense doesn't hurt them as much (among other things). i'd probably want to go after an undead instead of an avian, but both are better if you chain as few as you need to...
    Last edited by noobium; 25-10-2014 at 00:23.

Regular
    just as an aside to bring this topic back to Avians, I didnt realise that "Can use spec credits to train elites" means that spec credits can ONLY be used to train elites and not specs?? ><

Quote Originally Posted by madtyres View Post
    just as an aside to bring this topic back to Avians, I didnt realise that "Can use spec credits to train elites" means that spec credits can ONLY be used to train elites and not specs?? ><
    Yes, the text is misleading. "can use" to me reads as "in addition to specs, can also be used for elites"

Needs to get out more
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Utopian View Post
    Its a good idea in theory, but usually if you try to do too many things you will end up being good at nothing.
    My feelings are we don't embrace the human quality of teamwork enough. We get formula by the gob-loads, but I always see the vintage players fawn over a particular group of players. I understand this is the strategy forum and most of this is about the numbers. There's no denying though that the best were beating the rest with something other than numbers.
    Numbers get you there, teamwork wins.

Now the problem we have in Utopia is cult of personality. In other words, a monarch might reap the credit for a good team. This is correct on the surface, and they may be the link to coordination. I would argue teams of dissimilar gifts are as valuable or more so than teams with uniform quality.

Top kingdoms are redundant in efficient qualities because those qualities reduce drag. The thing is most will eventually have to come back for acres somewhere: this is the position most war kingdoms are ill equipped to deal with. If you're not going to cow but you're going to be positioned in that bustling top 20 AND you'd like to take a shot. Well....I'm simply saying I see a lot of egg laying and not the kind of strategic resistance one would expect.

Avian has growth dynamics NOW but there was never a real problem with the build that couldn't be handled with teamwork insofar as the warring tier. Word gets around about this or that shortcoming and I'd agree. But then I saw avians in war and I'd have to say any kingdom doing proper support would be well to have an avian compliment. Guys need to face up to OCD. Maybe I'm on diversity, but other guys are too into uniformity. Dreadnoughts kicked ass until the airplane got bombs.

I'm not saying you're wrong. Not by a stretch. You are quite correct that in practice all we see is failure in diversity. Again though I'd site that diverse kingdoms are kingdoms of freedom and relaxation. I think if we saw a serious mosaic, one that understands how to coordinate the elements, it'd be something to recon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Post Demon
    Still going strong Noobium, been AWing an Elf while attacking for land. Somehow most KDs don't think about chaining a dwarf/rogue hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bukharistan View Post
    Still going strong Noobium, been AWing an Elf while attacking for land. Somehow most KDs don't think about chaining a dwarf/rogue hehe.
    is said elf the best kinda elf mystic and not running wts?

Post Demon
    Yes! Well he had 10%. He also now has 20% of his wpa left :D

Thread Information