Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy?

Needs to get out more
    Apathy is the most reliable emotion until the experience of something negative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Enthusiast
    This sounds like a job for the fair play alliance

Forum Addict
    don't see anything wrong with his wording, but there's something wrong with your expectation of exactly how he needs to communicate to you ;)

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    What verm said.

He did exactly what he told you he was going to do.

Post Demon
    don't see anything wrong with his wording, but there's something wrong with your expectation of exactly how he needs to communicate to you ;)
    ]

What verm said.

He did exactly what he told you he was going to do.
    Those that understand English grammar might disagree.

We shall begin hostilities by Feb 1st.
    He used the future tense, indicating that his plan of action will take place in the future, but because he adds a time-frame, the future tense is not relative to the moment of speaking but to the time given in the sentence. The only problem then would be that he used the incorrect preposition.

If he wanted to say that he would begin hostilities BEFORE feb 1st, he should've used future perfect, as it the moment of action took place before the future date given.

The future perfect is a verb form or construction used to describe an event that is expected or planned to happen before a time of reference in the future, such as will have finished in the English sentence "I will have finished by tomorrow."
    "We will have begun hostilities by Feb 1st" is the only valid way to conjugate the verb "to begin" in this context.

So yeah, as an interpreter I would first need to know his native tongue in order to be able to understand which mistake he made (verbial or prepositional).
    Last edited by Bukharistan; 22-10-2014 at 02:20.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Bukharistan View Post
    Those that understand English grammar might disagree.
    You seem to be the one lacking an understanding of English.

He said something, and everyone with the exception of you understood him.

Post Demon
    Give me some arguments Palem, not your general nothingness... that is you. I gave you an argument, respond to it instead of some general nonsense statement. Demagogue, nothing more. nothing... you...

I shared the message with a lot of people, including my entire KD and everyone agreed it meant no hostilities before Feb 1st. Our general wave-date is 22nd, so why would I try to interpret this.

I'll get back to you on this by the end of the week.

^ what does that sentence mean to you?
    The End of an Era

Give me some arguments Palem, not your general nothingness... that is you. I gave you an argument, respond to it instead of some general nonsense statement. Demagogue, nothing more. nothing... you...

I shared the message with a lot of people, including my entire KD and everyone agreed it meant no hostilities before Feb 1st. Our general wave-date is 22nd, so why would I try to interpret this.
    "The Utopian voice of reason" ~Ben (And he's an official moderator)

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    It's not nothing. The goal of any language is communication. If he's successfully communicating his point to us and not you, we aren't the one's failing. You are.

For example, if I say "Hep la mang go doola" and everyone except you understands, we haven't collectively failed in speaking to each other just because it doesn't follow some guidelines for a formal language (guidelines which constantly change btw)

For what it's worth, why assume any understanding of what he was trying to say if he has his tenses screwed up? If you want to dig that deep into semantics, then the correct, strict understanding of that sentence was that it was nonsense and had no meaning.

Postaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by palem View Post
    you seem to be the one lacking an understanding of english.

War Monkeys War Monger - Contact me if interested in a beating.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Rather than whining, getting pissy and getting on my radar why don't you just .....

No flame intended Bukharistan, but uhm, didn't you say it was a misunderstanding when your guys started hitting few hrs before official hostilities date few ages ago when we warred?

I suppose this is likely a similar thing. :)
    My post is more right than yours because I am prettier than you.
    ♥ Katje

That's what I thought :)

@ Strato/Neanderthal, I don't always have those issues, but if you strike a deal you expect people to stick to it.

His English is probably bad, because the sentence he gave me didn't mean anything as meaning and grammar conflicted..
    Ummm...There was nothing wrong with his grammar. "Hostilities will start by Feb 1st." means ANYTIME between now and Feb 1st, with Feb 1st being the latest. Maybe your understanding of English is not very good? I say this because there are a ton of grammatical errors in the above sentence.

And if you showed it to your "entire kingdom" I'm sure ONE of them would know this. Unless you have to dumbest kd in Utopia.
    Last edited by Shockwave; 22-10-2014 at 15:02.
    #Beastblood

rule #12 no dutchies allowed.
    --Amendment 1.1: <3 LDP mucho much
    --Amendment 1.2: <3 chrissi
    --Amendment 1.3: snirpsner is by far the best dutchie ever. <3
    --Amendment 1.4: Prot and Darkie are OK in my book.

Veteran
    "By Feb 1st" means to me that what the Opposition Monarch did was just fine.

So, we made a war-deal with a KD, this is what their Monarch Messaged me:

Me:

You guys interested in war?

Opposition Monarch:

Hi, we accept the offer.

We shall begin hostilities by Feb 1st.

Good luck and may the best side win.

Then they start hitting us on Jan 21st. I messaged their King why they attacked 4 hours before our agreed date, received this:

Opposition Monarch:

Hey. I think there was some misunderstanding in the terms. I said we would start BY Feb 1, not ON Feb 1. Apologies if we got off on the wrong foot."

Am I being silly, or is this either a dealbreak/deliberate vague formulation to take advantage.

Btw, I don't really care about what it meant as they did a full wave into our fortified suiciding on my dwarf/rogue (4x massacre) killing a few peasants/thieves but I could easily kidnapp + retrain and razing my smallest attacker for 20 acres/hit.

But it's the principle :D

Shed your light on this o great community!
    Yea, he said what he was going to do and did it. No deal break here.
    Work Safe Custom Theme: http://spahrep.github.io/
    Age 55 TFC - Faery Warrior - Triple Crown (acres,nw,honor) <Unicorn Stampede>
    Age 56 TFC - Faery Warrior <Fen of the Unicorn>
    Age 57 TFC - Elf Mystic - 1st TFC Prince :P (S) <Rarity>
    Age 58 HRS (S) - Elf Mystic <Space Truckin - Deep Purple>
    Age 59 HRS (M) / AC (M) Faery Merchant <Cantaloupe>
    Age 60 AC (council) - Human Sage <Cerulean Frost>
    Age 60b Simians - Orc Tact <Cerulean Frost Rebooted>
    Age 61 - Silly Pink Ghetto Cats - Dwarf Merchant <Starship Unicorn Express>
    Age 62 - A Ghetto - Human Sage - 1M+ nw <Cerulean Unicorn Adventure>
    Age 63 - Another Ghetto
    Daughter of the Fifth House, Holder of the Sacred Chalice of Riix, Heir to the Holy Rings of Betazed.

-- The opinions/rants do not represent my kingdom or its affiliates, only me, and i have a lot of them.

Thread Information