Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: ask noobium

Quote Originally Posted by noobium View Post
    How do racial mods of farey and avian effect? Does it increase the cap or lower theives count?

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipa View Post
    How do racial mods of farey and avian effect? Does it increase the cap or lower theives count?
    It increases the cap, but you'd send the name number of thieves in order to reach it. Same with watchtowers.

edit: note that Unfriendly and Hostile status (as the aggressor) increases thief gains as well. the rates are significantly better in hostile, but slightly worse than war. Angel doesn't show this and I don't think the guide does either.
    Last edited by noobium; 20-01-2015 at 23:39.

Enthusiast
    Does an in-range massacre/plunder/learn bounce kill as many troops as a raze/TM bounce (in-range)?

Forum Fanatic
    i don't bother with bouncing so i have no idea on that. my understanding is that mass/plunder/learn bounces add GBP but raze/TM bounces don't.

Enthusiast
    Does anyone else happen to know this? Bouncing is a very strong tactic btw:)

Another question.

If you cast MV on an Orc and it gets reflected, but you have MA on, does it get blocked?

Regular
    I don't think that any type of bounce add GBP or that they differ in kills. The only difference that i know of is that raze is the only attack which is NW independent.

Enthusiast
    I see, I will test some of this :) what are base losses again on defense/offense?

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by UtopiaExpert View Post
    Does anyone else happen to know this? Bouncing is a very strong tactic btw:)

Another question.

If you cast MV on an Orc and it gets reflected, but you have MA on, does it get blocked?
    pretty sure aura has no effect on reflected spells, or we would have heard about it by now.

bouncing is dumb and usually not something you'd want to do, unless you know a kingdom is really focused on one particular province. in war it's the method of last resort to win against a stubborn opponent, at the start of hostile it's usually better to do damage/get gains on the provs that can be broken. i guess if hitting a huge bank in fort stance it's okay, but by now many provs should be prepared for this and know to bring money and troops for retraining.

Enthusiast
    What I like about bouncing is that you can do 14 hits yet not give away button. With Orc/warriors if you get in 3-4 bounces on a a PFed TM you easily drop their def by 25-30%, even more. And that's a huge chunk of NW you take down immediatly (they generally don't run hosps, your attackers do). We tried it a few times this age, sadly each time the opposition backed out.

Regular
    I have been thinking about using it the way you describe UtopiaExpert. Next age i'll get the opportunity :)

Forum Fanatic
    UE: that's why you plan around retraining army, and optionally building hospitals to defray some of the losses. Orcs can kill quite a bit, but in hostile it only works the one time, and whoever that happens to has about 10-12 hours to retrain about 5-6 dspa (or whatever is needed to plug the gap created). Usually in a war kingdom you should be able to break most provinces outright, and it's usually better to accept enemy ubs, and either land 7 hits where they will do substantial gains, or wave outright and maintain the pressure all along for far more damage. I guess if both kingdoms are in fort stance it makes sense to bounce, other than that it's pretty silly.

Enthusiast
    Disagree with you noobium. The extra land/massacre/learn gains are nothing compared to the extra troop losses of 7 more attacks. I can promise you bouncing a TM 4 times will hurt him more than 2 hits. There is GBP to reduce losses after the first hit either. Last advantage is that you get all your armies out (which is kinda important playing Orc) without having to do side-hits with the risk of getting retalled.

Forum Fanatic
    "hurt" only applies if you can follow up with actual hits. it applies a lot more to large kingdoms that rely on cows that war-tier kingdoms with little size variation. the typical t/m shouldn't be much bigger than the kingdom average, while cows contain a lot more of the kingdom's acreage relatively speaking; 25% of a large province is a lot more than 25% of a merely average province.

with that in mind, retraining costs (replacing with specs) would be something like 5-6 dspec/acre. if you were sitting in fortified or just waiting for someone to wave into to you, your kingdom will likely have soldiers and money sitting on the core. the soldier cost would be maybe 0.5 soldier/acre among your 16 or so core attacker provs, the gc cost about 2100gc/acre of the bounced province IF they retrain in normal stance, 1200-1300 with fortified. The gc cost would probably be about 150-200gc/acre amongst your whole kingdom in normal stance, fairly expensive - but, if the t/m can log when the bounce is happening, the replacement troops will be mostly ready (entirely ready if you revert to fort). Again, building hospitals as a preventative measure mitigates this, and Elf makes it highly impractical. If those hits were directed at targets, you're taking resources that are harder to reclaim, and gaining resources that defray the military cost of bouncing.

Given that Faeries and Halfers are pretty fragile now, it's highly likely your t/ms should be building hospitals, especially if they plan on using elites to hit stuff. The 10% land investment might seem superflous, but if don't expect to hit, you should be able to rebuild them without too much money.

I suppose I should try before I bash, but it's still silly.

Does teh Merchant personality let the Undead get more Elite after attacks?

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyD473 View Post
    Does teh Merchant personality let the Undead get more Elite after attacks?
    No.

Thread Information