Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Halflings

Quote Originally Posted by smercjd View Post
    I like halfling...but not as rogue.

I think Halfling/Sage is absolutely BOSS this age...I'm surprise to see only 6!

Hafling +15% pop * sage pop sci = A LOT. Throw in some homes and honor and you're looking at nearly 2x your population!!

So really you have halfling/sages who can be 8/8 elites + +100% TPA/WPA...um
    woot!
    Be wary of what you ask for. 2x pop also means 2x farms and 2x wages..... with the same amount of land/buildings.

I don't think you'd be able to just double your troops without feeling some pretty negative effects. Not to mention probably doubling your NW, which can put you in a tricky situation.

Forum Fanatic
    Ok...sage isn't what gives auto-science. Learn attack meat = Human.
    The racial bonus doesn't stack with homes, but homes still give population.
    25pp with 50% homes = 30 ppa (just as example). Which is basically a 20% raw boost to your ppa. THEN you take that and multiply by racial bonus, science, honor, etc...

Last age Halfling/Rogue was easily superthief.

Halfling bloats NW possibly worse than Human TBH. That's a LOT of population.

why would you train specs? sure elites = higher wages, but I'll pay that for the flex anyday
    Now you're just contradicting me for the hell of it.

Quote Originally Posted by noobium View Post
    Now you're just contradicting me for the hell of it.
    oops!! I didn't mean to! Lately I've been told I've been abrasive or short. @_@ I'm sorry!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robertz View Post
    Be wary of what you ask for. 2x pop also means 2x farms and 2x wages..... with the same amount of land/buildings.

I don't think you'd be able to just double your troops without feeling some pretty negative effects. Not to mention probably doubling your NW, which can put you in a tricky situation.
    You will feel some negative effects, but you'll also experience positive ones. There are usually 2 sides to it.

The NW thing has always been a + for me. Yes it allows those big bully KDs to see a similar NW and go for it...but then they'll realize how crappy the gains will be. It's primarily based on NW, but it's also based on acres. You can only take like 10% or something of the acres (whoever's is lower).

Big Bully KD Province A = 200K NW, 1500 acres (133nwpa)
    Halfling Sage Province = 180K NW, 900 acres (200nwpa)
    Random non-Halfling province = 180K NW, 1400 acres (128nwpa)

As Big Bully KD Provinve A, who would you pick to attack? Both are within your size range
    Attack the halfling = 90 acres
    Attack the random = 140 acres

Granted there are other things to look at (like if they can hit you back, etc) but based on gains alone...I'd go w the other guy

All of that long-windedness is my way of saying
    high nwpa acts as sort of a form of GS

Post Demon
    high nwpa acts as sort of a form of GS
    As long as you can manage the same MPNW (Military Per NetWorth, aka OPNW + DPNW) that the other province can.

Which, since you have land NW from only 900 acres instead of 1400 acres, gives you an auto 500*55 = 27,500 NW you can put other useful things in. But if you needed very high homes (40% or something) to get there you might have still come up short on the MPNW front, and then you are just weaker. (Halfer weak military, for example!)

(This, BTW, is why I use MPNW - it keeps working even with nutty variations like 200 NW/A vs. 130 NW/A... OPA and DPA are almost meaningless in this example.)
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

Forum Fanatic
    oops!! I didn't mean to! Lately I've been told I've been abrasive or short. @_@ I'm sorry!!!
    Same here. :(

Last age Half/Rogue could be superthief and do okay, I guess, if they're at a size where it's just banks and t/m and attackers are less of a thing.

One advantage to having nw-heavy elites though is that it allows the halfer to abuse topfeed protection. Also, Halfers are a reasonable match for high-elite humans even at full elite, if they're at equal size.
    Still, dspecs are about as good as elites after around 30-60% elite for flexibility. Mostly though, Halfers would want to be bigass provinces that can grow and cow, something Faeries have a hard time executing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    As long as you can manage the same MPNW (Military Per NetWorth, aka OPNW + DPNW) that the other province can.

Which, since you have land NW from only 900 acres instead of 1400 acres, gives you an auto 500*55 = 27,500 NW you can put other useful things in. But if you needed very high homes (40% or something) to get there you might have still come up short on the MPNW front, and then you are just weaker. (Halfer weak military, for example!)

(This, BTW, is why I use MPNW - it keeps working even with nutty variations like 200 NW/A vs. 130 NW/A... OPA and DPA are almost meaningless in this example.)
    Ah, so you're the one that does those!! :D

This ladies and gentlemen is turning into a "how to" guide on polishing turds. A tldr would be "Halfling is just bad, don't pick them". No matter how you twist and turn it, there is no role a halfling/* can fill, that some other race/pers combo wouldn't do just as good or better.
    #CanWe-public @utonet

Forum Fanatic
    except that it isn't the case, halfer isn't bad at all this age for players that have the sense to play to all of halfer's advantages.
    i wouldn't use them in my dream setup for any goal, but i could see them being good in setups and kingdoms that can feed efficiently, whether for half/rogue cows or half/rogue "hybrids" that can accept being broken as an inevitability.
    i don't see much purpose to picking anything besides Rogue on a Halfer, just because if you are using a Halfer, it's to have a province that has secure defense without being locked out of attacking, as faery/rogue usually is. a non-rogue halfer doesn't offer much, but a lot of races that can cow effectively will have problems utilizing rogue.

if i were Sage i'd much rather have Elf over Halfer, if i'm looking for a province with solid defense and hybrid-ability. less impressive population, but has far better potential for output, especially once honor bonuses start making a dent.

Thread Information