Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Restart the age

Quote Originally Posted by Godly View Post
    I'm fairly confident that people in your position have a very basic understanding of life... highlighted by quips of things that you perhaps read in a fortune cookie.

Life is perhaps not fair to some, but a competitive game or sport should almost always be. For example, a blown call in basketball is dissected in depth the following day on ESPN, the league issues an apology, refs get a talking to. Why? Because life "might not be fair" but in competition, it's paramount to at least ATTEMPT to be fair.

That said, I have of course adapted, and I'm a top prov already. Would you expect anything otherwise? My personal province is not the concern. The concern is that the developers take such a huge portion of the "strategic" component so lightly. I illustrated to you: let's say that attacks weren't working. Would they pause the game then? Would they fix it before 24 hrs? I hope so! To me, aiding is just as key strategically.

To argue AGAINST me on this point, you have to come up with something a bit more dazzling than "shucks.. life ain't fair." To me, it sounds like you want to argue just because you don't like it when people complain and not because you have a valid counterpoint. Again, very basic view of life. "Someone shot me. Well, shucks... life ain't fair." "This soup has a hair in it... well, shucks.. life ain't fair."
    ^ So true!

Quote Originally Posted by Elit View Post
    Ricko, if you have spend Many hours in protection to plan your OOP, not for alone prov but for all KD and calc resources and when OOP start and aid button dont work its really piss off People. Why they spend his time to play it PRO?

If you play it at ghetto level where every one is solo his prov its dont matter so much if aid button dont work for 24h. Sure if you are one from them you cant understand why other people is this mad and pissed. OOP / first week can decide all age for competition in land chart. So this is really important.

About age restart. Its clear they wont. WE face much more major problems in past and they never restart so its naive to think they will now.

So im recommend to all Just keep complain and this way you can feel better after share pain with rest :)
    Aye!
    #magi

I'm fairly confident that people in your position have a very basic understanding of life... highlighted by quips of things that you perhaps read in a fortune cookie.

Life is perhaps not fair to some, but a competitive game or sport should almost always be. For example, a blown call in basketball is dissected in depth the following day on ESPN, the league issues an apology, refs get a talking to. Why? Because life "might not be fair" but in competition, it's paramount to at least ATTEMPT to be fair.

That said, I have of course adapted, and I'm a top prov already. Would you expect anything otherwise? My personal province is not the concern. The concern is that the developers take such a huge portion of the "strategic" component so lightly. I illustrated to you: let's say that attacks weren't working. Would they pause the game then? Would they fix it before 24 hrs? I hope so! To me, aiding is just as key strategically.

To argue AGAINST me on this point, you have to come up with something a bit more dazzling than "shucks.. life ain't fair." To me, it sounds like you want to argue just because you don't like it when people complain and not because you have a valid counterpoint. Again, very basic view of life. "Someone shot me. Well, shucks... life ain't fair." "This soup has a hair in it... well, shucks.. life ain't fair."
    The last few ages, the game has definitely gone a little off the deep end with ticks lasting multiple hours, and even the servers last age going on the fritz. No one was able to attack at all during those times, but the game didnt pause. Everyone just waited for it to be available again and everyone was in the same boat.

Quote Originally Posted by jskura View Post
    The last few ages, the game has definitely gone a little off the deep end with ticks lasting multiple hours, and even the servers last age going on the fritz. No one was able to attack at all during those times, but the game didnt pause. Everyone just waited for it to be available again and everyone was in the same boat.
    Not exactly the same boat, assuming you're at war whether you just sent out or your army is returning in 5 minutes makes a huge difference :P
    One is a useful army that won't be ambushed for as long as the downtime continues and the other is a useless army sitting home doing jack ****, or even worse, it might be defecting because you just got chained, or maybe you're starving etc and nobody can do anything about it.
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Be the looking of muliple hour ticks(and plenty of more) the game is becoming something else then it used to be. Its also Real ****ty policy to make it happen, and "forget" about it.. Act as nothing happened, in hope that we are tarded.. But Hey, its not without reason the game is ever getting tinyer,..

Needs to get out more
    Quote Originally Posted by khronosschoty View Post
    ^ So true!

Aye!
    I feel the random guy needs some back up. I'm taking his side for no other particular reason than not being attacked and not using aid.

Torpedo Away!>

My Official Stand: it's the sizzle not the steak, nor fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

I like how people are trying to make a point that I'm upset because I'm not doing well. Let's be perfectly clear: I could go faery rogue attacker, be suspended for 1 week OOP and still make #1 if I wanted to. That's not the point.

The point is issues like this are more detrimental to one group over another. Just like lets say if attacking was broken for the first week: Those who picked avian would be very sad, those who picked human sage would be thrilled. Anyone who disagrees with this is either arguing just to argue or is a complete noob at utopia. I wasn't even going to comment in this thread until I read one person say "so what we all had the same disadvantage" and another say "life isn't fair." No offense, but both of those statements are idiotic.

Is this worth resetting a round over? Of course not. The only round reset I can recall was when Tredvolt abused the elf ability to cast self spells on other players and had 24 elves dice him in protection to over 1k land... and in my opinion that is less of a problem than what just happened with aid. There is a big difference between finding a clever way to exploit the game and the game being functionally broken. The first is called strategy, the second is negligence. However, the game should have been paused until the quirks were ironed out.
    Last edited by Godly; 14-05-2015 at 23:41.

Rewind your memory Godly and play it one more time - We did not reset for Tredvolt? Am I in some alternate reality again?

Veteran
    Hey, just reading through the thread - want to say a "thank you" to Godly; your points are right on, but I think what's most important is calling the Admins to take responsibility with the game and not shrug it off. It's like the Utopian community is a kingdom with an afk Monarch (the Developers), but we can't Razekill him.

I like how people are trying to make a point that I'm upset because I'm not doing well. Let's be perfectly clear: I could go faery rogue attacker, be suspended for 1 week OOP and still make #1 if I wanted to. That's not the point.

The point is issues like this are more detrimental to one group over another. Just like lets say if attacking was broken for the first week: Those who picked avian would be very sad, those who picked human sage would be thrilled. Anyone who disagrees with this is either arguing just to argue or is a complete noob at utopia. I wasn't even going to comment in this thread until I read one person say "so what we all had the same disadvantage" and another say "life isn't fair." No offense, but both of those statements are idiotic.

Is this worth resetting a round over? Of course not. The only round reset I can recall was when Tredvolt abused the elf ability to cast self spells on other players and had 24 elves dice him in protection to over 1k land... and in my opinion that is less of a problem than what just happened with aid. There is a big difference between finding a clever way to exploit the game and the game being functionally broken. The first is called strategy, the second is negligence. However, the game should have been paused until the quirks were ironed out.
    I remember a reset of the game where you could send negative mercenaries or something? on an attack oop and getting all the gc worth of mercenaries? major bug and game was reset.

For the rest I do agree with what you posted. The game should at least have been paused.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    Rewind your memory Godly and play it one more time - We did not reset for Tredvolt? Am I in some alternate reality again?
    I'm pretty sure we reset for Tredvolt. I could be mistaken though considering it happened over 10 years ago.

Way to pick out a small point in the overall discussion that doesn't even support nor refute my overall conclusion of pausing the game in a weak attempt to discredit my overall ideas.

I think he is just trying to point out that pretty much anything can happen, and they still wont reset the game.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

I think they need to do like Godly suggested here, in the future, if something goes wrong, pause the game ASAP.
    #magi

Quote Originally Posted by khronosschoty View Post
    I think they need to do like Godly suggested here, in the future, if something goes wrong, pause the game ASAP.
    I'm pretty sure I know the reason they don't pause. It's the same reason why pubs in Mobas never pause... noobs are too impatient to wait for the players who take the game seriously and they'll be more likely to quit. The people who take the game seriously (the people who care about a bug like that) quit far less. They'd also probably have to wait a minimum of 24 hrs to unpause to make sure the hours/dates line up. I could see new players going afk and not coming back.

There's something to be said about testing changes, though. In the old days, the devs had a test server where they'd run a test of all of the areas where the changes would cover. I find it hard to believe that this exists anymore because they didn't catch the aid bug... that should be like 4th or 5th test on the critical path test list. All in all, I'm unimpressed by the apathy that the devs have shown towards this game. As someone pointed out, one day a few years after the game dies, people will say "man that used to be a good game.. it's a shame that Mehul ever sold it." He wasn't exactly Mr enthusiastic himself, but at least it was his baby and he cared about it. The current owners just view this game as an asset in a portfolio.

I would personally love to buy this game and work on it to be as best as could be because it's my favorite hobby and not just an investment opportunity. I just don't think I can afford their price tag :P
    Last edited by Godly; 18-05-2015 at 07:14.

I'm pretty sure I know the reason they don't pause. It's the same reason why pubs in Mobas never pause... noobs are too impatient to wait for the players who take the game seriously and they'll be more likely to quit. The people who take the game seriously (the people who care about a bug like that) quit far less. They'd also probably have to wait a minimum of 24 hrs to unpause to make sure the hours/dates line up. I could see new players going afk and not coming back.

There's something to be said about testing changes, though. In the old days, the devs had a test server where they'd run a test of all of the areas where the changes would cover. I find it hard to believe that this exists anymore because they didn't catch the aid bug... that should be like 4th or 5th test on the critical path test list. All in all, I'm unimpressed by the apathy that the devs have shown towards this game. As someone pointed out, one day a few years after the game dies, people will say "man that used to be a good game.. it's a shame that Mehul ever sold it." He wasn't exactly Mr enthusiastic himself, but at least it was his baby and he cared about it. The current owners just view this game as an asset in a portfolio.

I would personally love to buy this game and work on it to be as best as could be because it's my favorite hobby and not just an investment opportunity. I just don't think I can afford their price tag :P
    I am pretty sure you do not. The game wasn't paused because no one asked for it to be paused and I didn't think it was necessary. Had someone requested it I would have considered it, but they did not.

Devs do not have the time or money to invest in the game, simple as that. We get minimal time spent on it to ensure it runs and the age changes are done, thats about it.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

I feel the same way!

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    I am pretty sure you do not. The game wasn't paused because no one asked for it to be paused and I didn't think it was necessary. Had someone requested it I would have considered it, but they did not.

Devs do not have the time or money to invest in the game, simple as that. We get minimal time spent on it to ensure it runs and the age changes are done, thats about it.
    Okay next time I'll ask for the game to be paused.
    #magi

Thread Information