Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Realization: The name "Emeriti" encourages the use of "Abs"

Forum Fanatic

Thumbs up Realization: The name "Emeriti" encourages the use of "Abs"

So I keep reading the banter on this and something struck me. I was especially twigged by a post of Anri's. It seems like a pretty minor issue but there has been a lot of talk about it, so here goes. Consider the following:

"Emeriti" essentially means retired but keeping an honorary title from the previous position. So if you're a "professor emeritus" it means that you're not actually a professor anymore but you get to keep the title "professor."

I assume that the reason ASF chose the name Emeriti was because he had several former top players (like himself) who "retired" to his ghetto but retained some honorary title going forward.

So... what titles are they keeping? Well if ASF retired from Rage of Absalom, and dorje retired from Sanctuary of Absalom... doesn't the very name "Emeriti" imply that they are keeping their honorary Absalom titles even though they don't play there anymore? I'd speculate that the reason ASF called it Emeriti in the first place is because it's a collection of former ABS players.

So there you go.

TL;DR "Emeriti" as a kingdom name means, by definition, that the players there keep their former Absalom titles and as such calling them Abs actually makes total sense.

(I think that saying "Absalom was an alliance, Emeriti is not" is an irrelevant distinction for the purposes of everyday dialogue.)

The Jerks.

Forum Addict
    And if that professor then goes to teach at another school, he is still a professor emeritus at his old school, yet not at his new school, where he is just a regular professor. Titles only work in regards to the institution they originated in.

Thumbs up

Verm... is A... Oh never mind..

When emeriti first appeared i googled the name and draw the same conclusion as Tetley did.
    Over time it became more and more clear who was in the KD and it made absolute sense to call them absalom since they all originated from absalom kds. Why they feel offended by it i dont know?
    With the group of players in the KD they are almost an all stars team of absalom players. Just like Pandas are Cov/KLA people pretty much entirely. Had they picked another KD name and stayed a bit more low profile maybe things have not been the same way. I know when i started talking to Emeriti last age i dealt entirely with Mithras and Leshrak and it felt kinda fresh, the more age proceeded i was forced into talking to ASF, Jdorje and even cerberus and some other, the more contact that was established the more it felt like absalom, they way they talked, they way they acted and so forth. To me it was absalom, it was just being called Emeriti, one of the most stupid KDs name they could come up with if they did not want to be called absalom anymore. On top of this they tagged thier nicknames in ingame theme followed by what abs kd they had played for in the past only to further show everyone they are absalom and they had came back to the game to win the crown. It is pretty stupid to do this and then the next age start a conversation about them not being absalom. Had it been ASF leading a KD with a anti-abs fella it would not be a problem. But when entire KD and council/LS is absalom its safe to say they are absalom. Just because you paint a horse like a zebra does not mean its a zebra, its still a horse, its still absalom.
    #?

#Pandas

#Simians

K L A
    Kaer Loche Alliance

Real life of Anri - Utopia addict
    http://instagram.com/henke82

Regular
    Hi

1) ASF didn't choose the kd's name
    2) Emeriti was chosen not in regards of retired absalom players, but in regards of very good retired utopian players. It was also and mainly chosen because it meant we weren't playing "seriously".
    3) Absalom was an alliance of kingdoms and this is a kingdom. So when people says they beat Absalom in an alliance war, it's false because Absalom doesn't exist anymore.

Bye
    Last edited by DoOrDie; 22-07-2015 at 18:40.

Post Demon
    Quote Originally Posted by DoOrDie View Post
    Hi

1) ASF didn't choose the kd's name
    2) Emeriti was chosen not in regards of retired absalom players, but in regards of very good retired utopian players. It was also and mainly chosen because it meant we weren't playing "seriously".
    3) Absalom was an alliance of kingdoms and this is a kingdom. So when people says they beat Absalom in an alliance war, it's false because Absalom doesn't exist anymore.

Bye
    Did you perchance used wrong forum account ? Cause when you say "we" it looks pretty bad given where you are suposed to be playing and everything that went down this age ...

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by citadela01 View Post
    Did you perchance used wrong forum account ? Cause when you say "we" it looks pretty bad given where you are suposed to be playing and everything that went down this age ...
    Lmfao

The Jerks.

Regular
    In fact, it's common knowledge I played in Emeriti before, including when we chose the kd name. You don't look like the smartest fish, but please try to keep up.

haha good1
    #?

#Pandas

#Simians

K L A
    Kaer Loche Alliance

Real life of Anri - Utopia addict
    http://instagram.com/henke82

Forum Fanatic
    This post by Anri is what made me start thinking deeply about Emeriti's name. Did u read that post Bour? Looks like at least 17 former ABS players that age...

Do you get what I'm saying though Bour? The very name Emeriti suggests they are all holding onto an honorary title or position from the past. If it's not their status as absalomites then what is it?

Btw:
    Quote Originally Posted by DoOrDie View Post
    3) Absalom was an alliance of kingdoms and this is a kingdom... Absalom doesn't exist anymore.
    I already addressed this in my original post, did you catch it?

Quote Originally Posted by tetley View Post
    (I think that saying "Absalom was an alliance, Emeriti is not" is an irrelevant distinction for the purposes of everyday dialogue.)

The Jerks.

Regular
    This post by Anri is what made me start thinking deeply about Emeriti's name. Did u read that post Bour? Looks like at least 17 former ABS players that age...

Do you get what I'm saying though Bour? The very name Emeriti suggests they are all holding onto an honorary title or position from the past. If it's not their status as absalomites then what is it?
    The idea behind Emeriti had nothing to do with Absalom, it had to do with having retired "all star" players from utopia come back and plays casually (and still kick ass).

Btw:

I already addressed this in my original post, did you catch it?
    I did, but you're wrong.
    Last edited by DoOrDie; 22-07-2015 at 21:18.

Needs to get out more
    Yeah, I saw that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Strategy Moderator
    It's no secret that Emeriti was founded by former Absalom players and we don't deny or hide this. What I have said and continue to say is that Absalom was an alliance of kingdoms while Emeriti was a lone kingdom with no formal allies.

Prior to the deal break and gb on Emeriti, people mainly called them ASF kd or Emeriti or some parody spelling thereof. After the deal break and gb on Emeriti, many of the Feyr Play alliance people began an intentional PR effort to try and imply that their acts were "an alliance war" to distract from the reality that they just deal broke and gb'd a solo kingdom into their war. This is what I took objection to.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaSeaFoam View Post
    It's no secret that Emeriti was founded by former Absalom players and we don't deny or hide this. What I have said and continue to say is that Absalom was an alliance of kingdoms while Emeriti was a lone kingdom with no formal allies.

Prior to the deal break and gb on Emeriti, people mainly called them ASF kd or Emeriti or some parody spelling thereof. After the deal break and gb on Emeriti, many of the Feyr Play alliance people began an intentional PR effort to try and imply that their acts were "an alliance war" to distract from the reality that they just deal broke and gb'd a solo kingdom into their war. This is what I took objection to.
    ......and it wont be long before the FP conspiracy theorists (Bombdigie pyro and the rest) come and disagree with that to cover up their own nasty ****play.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by lampost View Post
    ......and it wont be long before the FP conspiracy theorists (Bombdigie pyro and the rest) come and disagree with that to cover up their own nasty ****play.

Thread Information