Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Regarding Jerks v Crazies

Forum Fanatic

Regarding Jerks v Crazies

Hello all,

I would like to post some thoughts on the conflict with crazies. There is a summary at the bottom.

I want to start by saying that I admit jerks behaved somewhat poorly and did some wrong things throughout this period. It was bad initial diplo of me to jump straight to "we will farm out to godly" from the 5k request. Jerks could definitely have handled it better. We made some hostile comments that are not helpful to successful diplomacy. Further, I agree that farming out is in nearly all cases not the right choice and isn't good for a competitive game. I want to offer an explanation for what we did.

Jerks players have a general dislike for giving land for cfs and would rather fight over it. As far as I can tell, jerks has always been this way, long before I started playing here. This was one of the main motivations throughout the conflict.

Pretty early in the age, we exchanged a couple hits with Expendables and they gave us an eoacf for basically net zero land. This may have been their strategic play but my feeling is that giving us an EOACF so early in the age was pretty kind. This was another of the main motivations underlying the situation.

CJ requested 5k acres for cf. I agree/admit that CJ's offer for 5k for eoacf was a reasonable request and not a bad deal. However, the fact that their main competition gave a free eoacf very early, combined with a preference to fight over land, made us feel like agreeing to the deal was the wrong decision. We made other offers but diplo failed.

Current game mechanics do not favour a vastly smaller KD. The 150-point meter maxes quick and once meter capped the smaller KD is very limited in their options. These issues get increasingly problematic as the age goes on and as the size difference increases. An earlier hostile will diminish gold stacks, cause problems via ops, stall growth seriously, or reduce prep for other fights. Those items are less relevant towards EOA and in the present case these weren't concerns for CJ. The WW bonus increases as the age goes on too, so maxing meter is increasingly impactful. Basically, late age, a smaller kingdom who wants to retal will end up creating a large land swing one way or another - whether by being severely outhit once meter is capped, or by maxing meter and giving the bigger kd a farm war and large land bonus.

As the meter grew, jerks felt trapped in a corner. Admittedly it was a situation we helped create. But it seemed basically our only options would chart-shape one way or another; either by giving a lot of land to Crazies, or to go through with what we said we would do and give a lot of land to Expendables. Though CJ's offer wasn't unreasonable, it was a demand for land that their main competition hadn't made. This, plus the state of the game mechanics, led us to feel like the only fair option was to give land to Expendibles as well. We broke CF and hit them, which enabled them to take a lot of land, which is a questionable decision.

I say the above not to justify what we did, or say that makes it all okay. It is also not an attempt to blame others for what happened; just an explanation. None of this is any one person or kingdom's fault. I agree that what we did was not the greatest play. We felt it was the only available option given all the considerations.

When people are put under pressure they do not always treat others the way they would want to be treated, or behave as well as they should. Sometimes it is tough to remember that there are people on the other end, and that most (lol) of the people who play this game are not bad people in real life. It is after all just a game.

I do not have anything against CJ personally. I understand that Crazies' actions are motivated by a wish to succeed, and not by a desire to make the game worse for us or anything like that. I apologize for the personal attacks made.

TL;DR: I admit that some of the things Jerks did during this conflict with crazies were not cool or good for the game. We felt forced and trapped, and because of game mechanics and other things, felt that it was necessary to do what we did in order to be fair. But this does not entirely excuse our behavior.
    Last edited by tetley; 08-08-2015 at 10:16.

The Jerks.

That's all fine and dandy but do we really need another thread about it?

"I understand that Crazies' actions are motivated by a wish to succeed, and not by a desire to make the game worse for us or anything like that. I apologize for the personal attacks made."

I would not be so sure about that..

it's my very good honour to meet you and you may call me V.

CJ requested 5k acres for cf. I agree/admit that CJ's offer for 5k for eoacf was a reasonable request and not a bad deal. However, the fact that their main competition gave a free eoacf very early, combined with a preference to fight over land, made us feel like agreeing to the deal was the wrong decision. We made other offers but diplo failed.
    lol at this "We feel that cause one kd treated us nicely everyone else should as well!!!" Its like you people never played Utopia before.

Casting cJ's Level 6 ultimate....

WALL OF TEXT - casting this spell will create a wall of text which will hinder your enemies reading skills and make them wonder whether they are playing a game or reading a book at the library

-

Thanks Tetley for posting your thoughts on this issue. I think it takes great courage to do what he just did, and definitely takes alot in a person to write such a post. For starters, tetley and I have resolved our issues on IRC, and a CF has been agreed between both parties and will signify the end of hostilities.

I would also like to apologize to tetley & his crew if there's ever been an unintended impression that cRAZiEs were out to destroy Jerks. That has never been my intention as I understand how hard it takes to build a kingdom from scratch, and how difficult it is to bring in fresh newbies and teaching them the mechanics and game knowledge. The game does not need to have lesser players.

I also apologize if I had ever come across as hostile during diplo talks, and I guess work has affected me somewhat on my character. I havent had a good work quarter, and often I find myself raging even on my own kingdom mates when there's no need to do so.

Yes, current game mechanics do not favour a smaller kingdom during the late age.. especially if the bigger kingdom does not have any threats (whether this is strategically planned or not). I do not have a solution for this problem, and I suspect utopia mechanics can never resolve such an issue as there's always flaws in any other formats. This is why I feel diplomacy is a very important aspect of the game.

I would like state that the whole play of threatening to farm out to kingdom X (who gave a free eoacf) because kingdom Y doesnt want to gie a free eoacf.. it's really debatable. I do not entirely rule out that it's not feasible or playable. If kingdom Y becomes super unreasonable in their demands for a CF (it's not possible to define what's 'unreasonable' staticly), it may seem plausible that such an action could be consider. In alot of situations, it really depends on the current conditions and again.. it all boils down to playing the game of utopia.

There are some critics regarding cRAZiEs playstyle this age, and we might have potentially causd e alot of spilled bad blood towards certain kingdoms. I would like to address some of these critics and explain our actions.

I believe there's no secret that the two front runners for land crown this age were Expendibles and cRAZiEs since after awar ended. First, I must credit expendibles for their stellar play thus far. Yes, things have fallen nicely for them in the sense that most of the competition were removed during the awar.. and it was smart to reset some provinces into orcs (I believe they did) and take advantage of the +30% land gains.. they have a very skilled roster and very good knowledge of how to manipulate individual province networth to whore. Apart from all these, they have also played the diplo game very well.

The biggest advantage (I would say, and BOH mentioned it before) is that the networking of Expendibles is pretty huge. And it's very difficult for cRAZiEs to compete with them on that aspect. Individually, I believe I have quite a fair bit of contacts out there in the warring tier (i'm not as disliked as some of you think! :P) but cannot compete kingdom-wise. Both kingdoms have done LDs this age, and that's why I wont complain that they manage to get more LDs than me. I have done LD myself, and they beat me in this aspect of the game. Perhaps, maybe it's time to bring some changes to intra-razing.. remove the loss of honour. I understand that it would make the game have less acres overall, and it may not work out because LDing has progressed to such an extent of acres4gc (even if intra razing = no honour loss. would you intra raze when you can donate your acres for gc for faster recovery?)

Which brings me to the point of why cRAZiEs made certain decisions this age.

cRAZiEs had to seek for conflicts. We had to find wars and find acres aggressively because our setup has a decent amount of humans and faeries.. humans have high nw elites (and 6 pt offense vs 7 pt offense) and it's hard to whore with them (no +30% land gains) and faeries cant whore. We have been behind Expendibles since mid age (after the first war with wsk) and most of these were due to expendibles having the better whoring setup.. and our best way to catch up is to engage kingdoms.. I know that it will create bad blood with the kingdoms that cRAZiEs have had hostilities with.. but I can only hope that at the end of the day.. the leaders in theese kingdoms know it's part of the game. I have played in the whoring tier a couple of ages.. and alot of times before I would get angry/frustrated at a certain kingdom. I would ask myself (and not bluff myself) 'Would I do the same as them if I'm in their shoes?'.

I spoke to a former-foe (we patched up a few days ago) and this is what he had to say to me
    <Love> Had i lead ur KD, i had done the exact same thing but your destiny is to end #2
    <Love> i think you did everything you could
    <Love> I had likely played it the very same way.

There were alot of decisions/actions that cRAZiEs made this age.. and I would calculate the possibility of cRAZiEs being gb-ed or powerplayed (as we were individually engaging kingdoms from that group) and openly publish those odds in my kingdom's whatsapp group. I'm thankful that it hasnt happened thus far, and I actually showed my appreciation to flogger a few nights ago on whatsapp. I know all it needs is for 1 spark, for 1 possible event and boom there goes cRAZiEs. I told flogger that I'm not sure how much cRAZiEs actions have hurt his relationships with those group of friends, and I appreciate him having a cool head thus far.

Perhaps the above may not be sufficient enough to answer all the critics, but I hope at least some people will understand what went through my thought process the whole age. I suspect there are former whore leaders out there that understand my position very well.

Again, I apologize to any parties out there if I had come across very aggressively in any aspect of diplo.

TLDR : Jerks and cRAZiEs conflict is over. let's move on to http://forums.utopia-game.com/showth...Premier-League

FANTASY PREMIER LEAGUE INTEREST CHECK

http://forums.utopia-game.com/showth...Premier-League
    Last edited by TheOne; 08-08-2015 at 11:42.

Utopia is just social text-based chess/poker/starcraft/trading
    There is only 1 important strategy in Utopia. Game Theory

Age 57-63 : Pyromaniacs co-leader
    Age 64: Retired ghetto (Sillies)
    Age 65: Retired warring ghetto (Sillies X)

To be continued...

-
    Dont be a retail investor/trader. You will lose shinies.

Forum Fanatic
    Yes, cJ. You have a warring setup and we have a whoring setup (and no, expendables didn't have any provs reset, they started new provs w/ new players in some cases -- the kd was under 20 provs as late as 5 weeks ago)

It makes one wonder why you declined the opportunity to war for #1. I think ultimately, that is what people fault you for -- you have a warring setup and were offered the opportunity to war for #1 with a kd that has a whoring setup and you have/had significant advantages against. You declined it to go bully smaller kds.

If you (as others in your kd have indicated) don't believe you have a chance to crown, there's no reason to fuss over 5k acres vs making your relationship better. If you think you have a chance to crown, your best shot (and the best play for utopia broadly) was taking an offer to war Expendables -- it's best for crowns to be decided by #1 v #2 conflict.

Who is Zauper and who even cares what he thinks ???
    Maybe he was abused by aliens when they took him up in there space ship

Well sombody must of @MyNameIsMatija why don't you start a thread and tell us about your boring life I'm sure you will read it everyday

sounds like both kd leaders are cute. kiss and make up. :)
    Crazies, Sillies, and an Olarpear.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by tetley View Post
    None of this is any one person or kingdom's fault.
    I assure you this is 100% Jerks fault. Let's go through this 1 more time.

The Jerks of Jerks declare as a kingdom "We don't give free acres! If you get acres off us it'll be because you fought with us and earned them!". This isn't in itself a stupid, or unreasonable principle to have (as long as you actually stick to it).

Crazies ask for 5k acres for an EoACF and you reply with "We don't give acres for free! Kingdoms have to earn their acres off us!"

Crazies then begins to fight you. You reply with dealbreaking and giving away a large amount of acres (certainly more than 5k acres) away, for free, because you upset that they were fighting you because you refused to give up some acres for a CF to avoid fighting them.

If your goal was to be fair, how would one not come to the rational decision to agree to give 5k acres to Expendables to even out any acre unfair acre disparity that you thought there was? Instead you just make Jerks look like total buffoons who are crying about getting bullied. You're telling me that between your leadership and Expendables leadership there wasn't a single person who came up with that incredibly simple and fair idea that would save everyone in your kd from looking like shady pieces of garbage?

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    I assure you this is 100% Jerks fault. Let's go through this 1 more time.

The Jerks of Jerks declare as a kingdom "We don't give free acres! If you get acres off us it'll be because you fought with us and earned them!". This isn't in itself a stupid, or unreasonable principle to have (as long as you actually stick to it).

Crazies ask for 5k acres for an EoACF and you reply with "We don't give acres for free! Kingdoms have to earn their acres off us!"

Crazies then begins to fight you. You reply with dealbreaking and giving away a large amount of acres (certainly more than 5k acres) away, for free, because you upset that they were fighting you because you refused to give up some acres for a CF to avoid fighting them.

If your goal was to be fair, how would one not come to the rational decision to agree to give 5k acres to Expendables to even out any acre unfair acre disparity that you thought there was? Instead you just make Jerks look like total buffoons who are crying about getting bullied. You're telling me that between your leadership and Expendables leadership there wasn't a single person who came up with that incredibly simple and fair idea that would save everyone in your kd from looking like shady pieces of garbage?
    Please refrain from insulting other users.

Enthusiast
    Godly has been banned for less
    Beauty of Absalom->Redemption of Absalom->Trinity of Absalom
    Acres->Infinity->Havoc of Absalom->Cromulent Republic
    7x crown winner. Genesis Tripple Crown. 3rd largest nw prov in history of game.

Post Fiend
    Tetley. Ur the worst of the worst here. Ur kds credo is to have a fighting spirit. By choosing this fight u were in ur right, but u know the game mechanics and u know the circumstances when we started. U can't talk anything straight my man. The fact u farmed nearly 18k acres to expendables where u stated ur kd don't give acres. The crown was already decided, but this decision of u showed who u and who jerks are. Thanks for that and I will make sure u will get some later on. #outplayerz style!!!

Ps. U guys were in Feyr play alliance right?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Last edited by scheffie; 08-08-2015 at 16:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauper View Post
    Yes, cJ. You have a warring setup and we have a whoring setup (and no, expendables didn't have any provs reset, they started new provs w/ new players in some cases -- the kd was under 20 provs as late as 5 weeks ago)

It makes one wonder why you declined the opportunity to war for #1. I think ultimately, that is what people fault you for -- you have a warring setup and were offered the opportunity to war for #1 with a kd that has a whoring setup and you have/had significant advantages against. You declined it to go bully smaller kds.

If you (as others in your kd have indicated) don't believe you have a chance to crown, there's no reason to fuss over 5k acres vs making your relationship better. If you think you have a chance to crown, your best shot (and the best play for utopia broadly) was taking an offer to war Expendables -- it's best for crowns to be decided by #1 v #2 conflict.
    You can not seriously invoke that. if you look at expendibles and crazies and compare then that`s like sky and land... expendibles turtled all age having 1/1 wars, cfing all kd`s to be sure they stay on the same flat line. on the other hand crazies went 4/4 wars and a hostile that lasted around 2 days with hits in and out. and they still catched up a little bit. on the other hand i discovered something interesting... here goes

May 21 of YR12 We have cancelled our ceasefire with Rough Dragons (x:x)!

after this came a whole list of attacks... i`ll sum it up :

that`s 9140 acres that shifted from #1 honor kd (where there are some ex cr players) to #1 land kd... talking about a kd that said why crazies don`t go after them and war for #1 spot...

also forgot to mention that top provinces from expendibles have around 3k bpa which is more then top 3 from crazies
    Last edited by Palem; 08-08-2015 at 17:15.
    Wars come and go but my soldiers stay eternal

Quote Originally Posted by portofelia View Post
    You can not seriously invoke that. if you look at expendibles and crazies and compare then that`s like sky and land... expendibles turtled all age having 1/1 wars, cfing all kd`s to be sure they stay on the same flat line. on the other hand crazies went 4/4 wars and a hostile that lasted around 2 days with hits in and out. and they still catched up a little bit. on the other hand i discovered something interesting... here goes

May 21 of YR12 We have cancelled our ceasefire with Rough Dragons (x:x)!

after this came a whole list of attacks... i`ll sum it up :

that`s 9140 acres that shifted from #1 honor kd (where there are some ex cr players) to #1 land kd... talking about a kd that said why crazies don`t go after them and war for #1 spot...

my 2 cents : don`t ask for a war unless you`ve been at least in 2 of them...
    Not surprising, the Zauper ED connection.
    Last edited by Palem; 08-08-2015 at 17:16.

Thread Information