Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump 2016

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Landro View Post
    The whole problem is exploitation of the immigrant. Make them 'legal' and most of the problems you list are gone.
    Give working class people a decent wage and they'll be able to buy more stuff which creates more jobs.
    The US was built on immigration. In the past large numbers of people were even brought against their will to be used as slave labor.

But the best way to stop immigration is by making their own countries less ****ty to live in. So stop supporting dictators, demand that they're paid decent wages in their own country and stop the retarded war on drugs.
    Many reasons why this would not work. First America is broke social security will be gone in I belive 2030 and welfare programs will run out last estimate I heard was 10 years. Granted many illegal immigrants do get some sort of welfare, free medical care and free schooling. But not the complete free ride if they where made citizens. Also they would be laid off by the farmers and construction crews due to the fact they would be to expensive. Finally if we gave amnesty to any amount of illegal immigrants. The flood of people coming in would be insane, I mean you see what is happening to Europe right now. Plain simple fact is America used to be rich but now where broke. We can't take the world's sick and poor anymore. We borrow money every day from China to pay our bills.

Veteran
    Yes Trump is not politically correct but who cares I am tired of political correct ness.
    Last edited by handofthrawn; 26-09-2015 at 15:49.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Well off the top of my head politicians. It's in the name.

Is it bad to vote for him just because he isn't afraid to speak his mind? I also like that he is a successful business man and they say america is a big business. At the end of the day it is choosing the lesser of two evils. Scary thing is he has no voting history that we can view to show his true beliefs unlike Hillary, Ted, Lindsay etc. He is very interesting though. I will probably vote for him or Lindsey Graham. Probably won't matter anyway with **** eating congress and all of the political correctness around this *****. I vote for smaller government, higher teacher pay, higher farmer pay, less athlete pay, less tax and more freedom.
    Science in Progress 61 Cloud-City | RONIN 62 The Road| RONIN 63 DemonDeathWind | Rise2Power 64 TenToesUp | Rise2Power 65 Toothless Aggressio | Rise2Power 67 FiftyShadesofOrc

Don't get me wrong, I seriously think he is a horrible person to be running for president, but watching the world burn is prolly the best options for new changes ... If anything Rand Paul is the most sane of the bunch.

Odd of Absalom

Beastblood is #oddplay

˙ppo ǝɹɐ noʎ
    #odd
    Odd is a three-edged sword.
    ( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)

Quote Originally Posted by Attero View Post
    Is it bad to vote for him just because he isn't afraid to speak his mind? I also like that he is a successful business man and they say america is a big business. At the end of the day it is choosing the lesser of two evils. Scary thing is he has no voting history that we can view to show his true beliefs unlike Hillary, Ted, Lindsay etc. He is very interesting though. I will probably vote for him or Lindsey Graham. Probably won't matter anyway with **** eating congress and all of the political correctness around this *****. I vote for smaller government, higher teacher pay, higher farmer pay, less athlete pay, less tax and more freedom.
    Speaking your mind is a good thing. Especially for a politician. But you have to consider that Adolf Hitler spoke his mind on a lot of things and did it with flair. I am not trying to compare the two. I am saying that the meaning of the spoken words matters a lot. It is great when candidates openly express views on the issues. If the candidates views are plain wrong or scary then voting for them is bad idea.

I would encourage the inverse. If a candidate does not let us know what (s)he is thinking and refuses to commit then it becomes prudent to assume the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    @hand -

Using illegals for cheap labor - This absolutely helps the economy and replacing them with legal labor will hurt the economy (without other policy changes). For example, let's say Farmer Joe is currently paying Jose $1/hour. Jose gets deported. Farmer Joe is now forced to hire Ben at $8/hour (or whatever minimum wage is wherever this farm is)...
    Ben will also spend that $8. It has been shown that low wage workers spend paychecks much faster. Often minimum wage workers consume the entire check the same week it is received. High velocity money boosts the economy. Ben is going to make car payments, pay rent, get cable, and maybe take Suzie on a date to fast food place.

You would expect some inflation. But the effect of past minimum wage increases was much lower than would be expected. The increases to minimum wage were almost entirely absorbed by lost profits. I should probably find the source for that. I have heard it multiple times. But that is for legal workers like your Ben.

For illegal workers like Jose the wage difference will be exclusively criminal profits pocketed by farmer Joe. The market price for commodities will be set by legal industry. A lot of that will be spent on land purchase. You get inflation from higher land prices. It will be harder for Ben to find work because there are fewer legal farms hiring.
    Last edited by pathetic sheep; 05-10-2015 at 18:57.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by pathetic sheep View Post
    Ben will also spend that $8. It has been shown that low wage workers spend paychecks much faster. Often minimum wage workers consume the entire check the same week it is received. High velocity money boosts the economy. Ben is going to make car payments, pay rent, get cable, and maybe take Suzie on a date to fast food place.

You would expect some inflation. But the effect of past minimum wage increases was much lower than would be expected. The increases to minimum wage were almost entirely absorbed by lost profits. I should probably find the source for that. I have heard it multiple times. But that is for legal workers like your Ben.

For illegal workers like Jose the wage difference will be exclusively criminal profits pocketed by farmer Joe. The market price for commodities will be set by legal industry. A lot of that will be spent on land purchase. You get inflation from higher land prices. It will be harder for Ben to find work because there are fewer legal farms hiring.
    Well I'm by no means an economy expert or anything, I just wanted to point out that it's not as simple as "Keep the money in America!". There are always consequences to decisions like these.

I will say though that minimum wage increased are usually not all that substantial. $.50 here, $1 there. I wouldn't expect companies to react too much from chances like that. However, the cost of labor for people employing illegals would generally be very significant (depending on just how much lower than the minimum wage they're being paid). I don't think using minimum wage increases as a model would be a very accurate representation of what the effect would be.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Seems relevant lol

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Chinese know how to make 'made in usa' tags ;-)

but if you really want to buy only american made stuff, start boycotting Apple hardware

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Isn't that illegal or something? I generally don't buy apple stuff. I think the last apple product I bought was an iPod lol (not because of any economic reasons, google just treats me better lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Landro View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Chinese know how to make 'made in usa' tags ;-)

but if you really want to buy only american made stuff, start boycotting Apple hardware
    Not _all_ Apple hardware is made outside of the USA; just 99% of it is. The best Apple Hardware is made in the USA AFAIK. I'm not sure its possible to find computer hardware thats 99% made in the USA, I mean one company that produces 99% of their hardware in the USA.
    #magi

Quote Originally Posted by khronosschoty View Post
    Not _all_ Apple hardware is made outside of the USA; just 99% of it is. The best Apple Hardware is made in the USA AFAIK. I'm not sure its possible to find computer hardware thats 99% made in the USA, I mean one company that produces 99% of their hardware in the USA.
    I'm seriously doubt there is a significant difference in the product that reaches the customer. Maybe the Chinese plants have a higher percentage of production failures but those are 99% screened out before they reach the customer. I've a friend who's worked tech support for Apple and they're really really anal and control freaky about just about anything.
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Elldallan View Post
    I'm seriously doubt there is a significant difference in the product that reaches the customer. Maybe the Chinese plants have a higher percentage of production failures but those are 99% screened out before they reach the customer. I've a friend who's worked tech support for Apple and they're really really anal and control freaky about just about anything.
    By best I mean their top of the line desktop/server which is IMO their most superior product; it is made 100% in the USA AFAIK.
    #magi

Quote Originally Posted by khronosschoty View Post
    By best I mean their top of the line desktop/server which is IMO their most superior product; it is made 100% in the USA AFAIK.
    lol, yea no. You realize that Apple doesnt do their product on their own from scratch?

Thread Information