View Poll Results: Should the chastity spell message be changed?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 20.59%
  • No

17 50.00%
  • I don't care at all

10 29.41%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chastity spell message is sexist and should be changed

Forum Fanatic

Chastity spell message is sexist and should be changed

Hi guys,

Haven't been active lately but today while I was casting chastity something occurred to me. Let's take a look:

Much to the chagrin of their men, the womenfolk of [Province Name] have taken a vow of chastity for X days!

Does anyone else see a problem with this? I think it reaffirms negative stereotypes of both men AND women - that men are always the ones pursuing sexual activity, and that the women is always the one who decides whether or not it's going to happen.

Surely it's possible for the men to take a vow of chastity? Certainly if they weren't having sex, the women would be unhappy about it too? Male consent is also a thing.

I guess the game has been around for a long time, but I think the wording of it should be changed so it doesn't propagate harmful conceptions of men and women.

Something like "Much to the chagrin of the townsfolk, half the population of [province name] has taken a vow of chastity!" would be more appropriate.

(This has its own problems, because it assumes that the entire population is heterosexual, but I guess that's a different issue. For the purposes of childbirth I guess only hetero-sex is relevant.)

Thoughts?

TL;DR - the Chastity spell message is stereotypical and sexist, and imo it should be changed.
    Last edited by tetley; 06-10-2015 at 23:33.

The Jerks.

Veteran
    Lame and more lame. Who even thinks about stuff like this. Pc police needs to go away it's just a game.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by tetley View Post
    Thoughts?

Needs to get out more
    Men can't practice chastity. Spock would roll his eyes if it were the 23rd century.

Even a devout friend of mine was reflecting on the attitude men have when guided by our own principals.

He mocked: let me consult the oracle and pretended to unzip his pants. ;-)

Edit, PS: and it's nice seeing around tetley. Don't be stranger than a stranger.
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 07-10-2015 at 00:08.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Postaholic
    This thread delivers on useless information in the forums.
    War Monkeys War Monger - Contact me if interested in a beating.

Rather than whining, getting pissy and getting on my radar why don't you just .....

Pro-life would be sad. Odd.. A

Odd of Absalom

Beastblood is #oddplay

˙ppo ǝɹɐ noʎ
    #odd
    Odd is a three-edged sword.
    ( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    I'm offended that you think there are males in my province. Sexist pig.

Hi guys,

Haven't been active lately but today while I was casting chastity something occurred to me. Let's take a look:

Much to the chagrin of their men, the womenfolk of [Province Name] have taken a vow of chastity for X days!

Does anyone else see a problem with this? I think it reaffirms negative stereotypes of both men AND women - that men are always the ones pursuing sexual activity, and that the women is always the one who decides whether or not it's going to happen.

Surely it's possible for the men to take a vow of chastity? Certainly if they weren't having sex, the women would be unhappy about it too? Male consent is also a thing.

I guess the game has been around for a long time, but I think the wording of it should be changed so it doesn't propagate harmful conceptions of men and women.

Something like "Much to the chagrin of the townsfolk, half the population of [province name] has taken a vow of chastity!" would be more appropriate.

(This has its own problems, because it assumes that the entire population is heterosexual, but I guess that's a different issue. For the purposes of childbirth I guess only hetero-sex is relevant.)

Thoughts?

TL;DR - the Chastity spell message is stereotypical and sexist, and imo it should be changed.
    Bad form m8.
    #magi

Veteran
    Omg that video is 80s

Forum Addict
    Hi guys,

Thoughts?

on a probability case, half the population taking a vow of chastity doesnt necessarily mean all couples are included and there will be couples both in chastity & couples with none which still produce children.. wording is quite accurate on reaching the desired effect, ensuring there isnt any chance of children..

Forum Fanatic
    I mean, this was mostly created as a troll thread, but the attitudes of some players here.......

The Jerks.

Makes a stupid thread just for trolling and then complains about other peoples attitudes, lol. :)

Needs to get out more
    I mean, this was mostly created as a troll thread, but the attitudes of some players here.......
    The only reason to reveal a quasi-troll thread is a cry for help. Your lawyer infection is deep, isn't it?
    I sympathize. Things will invariably reach both dogmatic and moral divides. You can count on us to stick with you.
    The truth is that no one has ever come back to moral center after being infected but there's always a first.

The L word.
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Post Fiend
    I agree, op.
    Don't kill. Make peace.

Forum Fanatic
    Nah Korp it's just devastating how some people are so deaf to gender issues...

The Jerks.

Thread Information