Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: one of my crew made the app!

one of my crew made the app!

Judge by yourself.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...reverde.utopia

Disclamer - It just been shared, I got no impression on it!
    Last edited by Bishop; 07-11-2015 at 01:31.

Trying to charge people to use someone else's game? Not worth imo even IF the formatting was better than Mink's.
    "The Utopian voice of reason" ~Ben (And he's an official moderator)

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Band of Horses View Post
    Trying to charge people to use someone else's free game?
    fixed that for you

Postaholic
    Nice, glad to see someone is/was actually working on that. Making it a donation based might be better though, similar to the model munks using.

Charging money for beta software for a _free_ game that, belongs to someone else, is not a good idea. Releasing it as beta and asking people to help improve it via bug reports / testing and suggestions and asking people to donate money if they can is my suggestion (as well?).
    #magi

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by khronosschoty View Post
    Charging money for beta software for a _free_ game that, belongs to someone else, is not a good idea. Releasing it as beta and asking people to help improve it via bug reports / testing and suggestions and asking people to donate money if they can is my suggestion (as well?).
    Yup, prep the lube
    -Gurch

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by wingding View Post
    Yup, prep the lube
    On second thought, we should have a free utopia app within a year or less
    -Gurch

Quote Originally Posted by wingding View Post
    On second thought, we should have a free utopia app within a year or less
    Why do you say that, if you do not mind me asking?
    #magi

Enthusiast
    Why do you say that, if you do not mind me asking?
    Lawyers will obtain it
    -Gurch

I doubt it! lol that would cost money.
    #magi

Enthusiast
    I doubt it! lol that would cost money.
    I don't see it taking much more than a letter claiming $$k in damages
    -Gurch

That would cost money if you have a lawyers do it.
    #magi

Regular
    Hi, I made the app. Thanks for posting this, chalsdk.

Most of the motivation really was just wanting a better gaming experience for myself and the community. Logging in and doing basic tasks on a phone is really daunting, so this is aimed to help with a lot of that--it doesn't do everything, but it does most of the things you do during the day while you're at work or unable to get to a desktop. The app took me a little over a year to make in my spare time, so I don't think it's unreasonable to charge a little for it. I set the price to $1.99; reading the forums a year ago, I remember that was what the userbase said they'd be willing to pay, and that feels fair to me. I'm sorry you feel jilted for paying for an app for a free game. If creating the app was a trivial task, then I'd love to release it for free, but the truth of it is that this has taken months to create, and it'll take many more months to do all of the things I'd like it to do--not to mention the work needed to keep the app up-to-date with the game. If people do adopt the app, I'd be really interested in getting feedback and implement the features that the community wants.

I don't know if the owners of utopia are on the forums much, but I'd love to coordinate with them if they're interested. I played utopia back in the early 2000s when I was in high school, so this game will always have a fond place in my heart. I respect the hard work and dedication they've put into Utopia to keep it alive. I hope the app breathes some more life into the userbase-numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by joshmg View Post
    Hi, I made the app. Thanks for posting this, chalsdk.

Most of the motivation really was just wanting a better gaming experience for myself and the community. Logging in and doing basic tasks on a phone is really daunting, so this is aimed to help with a lot of that--it doesn't do everything, but it does most of the things you do during the day while you're at work or unable to get to a desktop. The app took me a little over a year to make in my spare time, so I don't think it's unreasonable to charge a little for it. I set the price to $1.99; reading the forums a year ago, I remember that was what the userbase said they'd be willing to pay, and that feels fair to me. I'm sorry you feel jilted for paying for an app for a free game. If creating the app was a trivial task, then I'd love to release it for free, but the truth of it is that this has taken months to create, and it'll take many more months to do all of the things I'd like it to do--not to mention the work needed to keep the app up-to-date with the game. If people do adopt the app, I'd be really interested in getting feedback and implement the features that the community wants.

I don't know if the owners of utopia are on the forums much, but I'd love to coordinate with them if they're interested. I played utopia back in the early 2000s when I was in high school, so this game will always have a fond place in my heart. I respect the hard work and dedication they've put into Utopia to keep it alive. I hope the app breathes some more life into the userbase-numbers.
    I wonder if it will grab the attention of people just looking at strategy games. In any case, thank you for your efforts.
    #magi

Should have run it by the developers before even publishing it, let alone charging for it. You're prolly in breach of some copyrights.

Ah well, we'll see soon enough when Bishop sees this thread. My guess is that he'll ask you to remove it from the store or make it free.
    Proudly played in: Mystic Aura, FREE, Fellatio/Vae Victis, Nexus, Seasons, Dreams, Polar Bears/AMA
    Crowned with Seasons in age 37 (honor), 39 (nw/land) and 41 (nw/land)
    Crowned with Dreams in age 50 (KD nw/land)
    Crowned with AMA in age 59 (KD nw)
    Crowned with Expendables in age 65 (KD nw/land)
    Crowned with Cellos Republic in age 66 (KD nw/land)
    Now playing in: Canadian Rebellion (not to be confused with Cromulent Republic or Cellos Republic, obviously)

Thread Information