Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Android App

for some reason i cant read forum. all i get is a black page

Scribe
    First of all: once again, thanks for the awesome work!

Me and some of my KD mates using your app had the following issue: While building acres you sometimes raze all buildings. I know that it is mostly a matter of paying close attention, but would it be possible to add a seperate raze/release button? to avoid this issue.

The issue is partially caused by the way the numbers are displayed and read. If you have 1200 homes, and want to increase it to 1250, the following occurs:
    • you select homes, it shows 1,200 as amount
    • you update the last 2 digits to 50, giving 1,250
    • it destroys almost all homes because it thinks you want only 1 home

At least that seems to be the source of the issue.

also for bisshop and palem: wouldnt it be possible to just make a silent blinking notifier for utopia when certain things occur (you get hit, armies return, spells run out)? which work for the browser as well ?

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    You don't get notified from your browser when things occur. You have to check your news/throne page. Giving mobile a notification from an automated process wouldn't be fair to people not using mobile. The only "fair" way to counter it would be to log on and check your province every 5 minutes which, for us humans, isn't feasible.

Regular
    Firstly: Thanks! I'm happy you're enjoying the app. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
    • you select homes, it shows 1,200 as amount
    • you update the last 2 digits to 50, giving 1,250
    • it destroys almost all homes because it thinks you want only 1 home
    I'm not sure I understand exactly what's happening... If you typed 1250 into the "Set Amount" (i.e. the left section), then it should never raze them down to 1... So I must be misunderstanding something.

However--and most importantly--you're not the only person to say they've razed buildings when they didn't mean to. I think what I'll do in the next patch is add a confirm-dialog (only) when razing buildings. That way no one should ever accidentally raze buildings ever again.

Unfortunately, I'm hesitant to change the "set amount" field (the left field) to a "change amount" field because I think that will confuse people who have already gotten used to the change, and then we'll have even more people making mistakes... I know it's not perfect logic, and it's unfortunate that it's the reality, and in hindsight, I probably should have made it an "add field" so that is more aligns with the website, but I think changing it now would just make the matters worse.

I hope the confirmation dialog fixes the problem though. Let me know if you--or the rest of the community--disagree.

Regarding notifications: I would love to build that in to the app, but I understand Bishop's and Palem's logic: they don't want the app to become something that's "mandatory" for people to use in order to not be at a disadvantage. And I think it's fair logic. It would also have huge ramifications for certain spells, that would make balancing even harder for them. So, I don't foresee that making it into the app, sadly. However, I do want to make the app more "fun". Not quite sure how to accomplish this, but I have a few ideas I've been spinning around in my head. If I decide on one with any certainty, I'll let the community know.

Currently, what I'm working on is getting news aggregation and summary. Similar to posting your news into a formatter.
    Last edited by joshmg; 20-04-2016 at 17:54. Reason: Comma crusade

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow_wolf View Post
    for some reason i cant read forum. all i get is a black page
    Hi, Yellow Wolf. Are you currently the monarch for your KD? If so, it's a known bug--but the good news is I've got a patch already done for this, and will be available for the next release. Sorry for the trouble, but it'll be fixed soon. Good luck with the KD.

Ty explains everything :D

Hi, WHat about stinger integration? It stopped auto login for a week or so now.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjippe View Post
    Hi, WHat about stinger integration? It stopped auto login for a week or so now.
    I sent an email to Jeremy (the creator of Stinger) and asked he grant me test access again so that I can try to figure out what is going on. No response yet, but it's early. Once I get test access I can try to figure out what's going on (since I don't have an account normally).

Quote Originally Posted by joshmg View Post
    I sent an email to Jeremy (the creator of Stinger) and asked he grant me test access again so that I can try to figure out what is going on. No response yet, but it's early. Once I get test access I can try to figure out what's going on (since I don't have an account normally).
    Sounds good! thanks for picking that up :)

Hey, i noticed that infiltrate ops are not uploaded to stinger, other intel ops are no problem.

Regular
    Last night I released version 1.2.0. It added some bug fixes and some new features. The most notable features are updates to the in-game chat system, and news summary.

News Summary
    http://i.imgur.com/pfkpxKC.png
    The news summary is only available for your province-news, not the kingdom news. Net values of either gain or loss are aggregated for that day's news. Icons next to the resource categories indicate their source (e.x. "rob vaults"); if you don't know what a particular icon indicates, then clicking on it will show a text-representation for a couple of seconds.

There are a lot of types and variations of news events, and while I spent a few weeks provoking attacks (and even having my KD mates op me) to access certain events, I know for a fact that not all cases are covered. Because of that, I've implemented an unobtrusive way for provinces to submit their unrecognized events to me so I can figure out how to parse them. When the app finds an event it cannot parse, you may be prompted to submit the news event to the app's server. If you click no, nothing will happen and information will not be sent to the app's server, and you won't be asked again (unless you reset the app). If you choose yes, the news event will be sent to the server for me to figure out why it wasn't recognized. Know that submitted events are not tied to your account or province, so I cannot determine from whom it came. However, the news events aren't obfuscated (or else I wouldn't be able to determine why they weren't parsed)--so that means if province, "Yarg", from KD, "x:y" attacks you, the news event sent to the server will show who attacked you, but will not show who "you" are.

I hope you choose to help make this feature better over time and click "Yes" when prompted, but it is your information and therefore your choice, so don't feel obligated. I think it is important that the community is made aware when data is leaving the app, and therefore am writing this post and am happy to answer any questions regarding this feature and request.

In-Game Chat Improvements
    Chat messages that tag your province now show up as blue, so that they are more easily found. Additionally, chat messages that you send are also styled in blue. There is also a blue delimiter distinguishing the last message you read within the app (messages above the blue line are unread).

Normally, the in-game chatroom's credentials expire after a short time; this means that without logging back in, the chatroom will not be able to update, and province-tags will stop notifying a user after about an hour of inactivity. I've asked the Utopia-Devs to provide a way to re-authenticate to the chatroom without making the province appear online within the game, however if this request is implemented, I can't imagine it would happen soon. Therefore, I've tried to mitigate the problem by adding a service to relay province-tags. This service is hosted on the app's server, and any time a province tags another province, the tag is relayed via the external service. This means that if Province-A tags Province-B, and Province-B has been offline for a few hours, Province-A's tag will be sent to the app's server and then relayed to Province-B, without needing Province-B to be logged in. This only works if someone using the app is online during this process (this could include Province-A from inside the app... this also includes the scenario where Province-A is using the website, but Province-C is online and using the app, then Province-C will relay the tag on Province-A's behalf). This is probably a bit confusing, but the tl;dr is: If you use the app to send Province-Tags to another user using the app, they will always get the ping regardless if they've been offline for a long time.

Minor Changes
    When razing buildings, a confirmation dialog is presented. This is to help users whom have accidentally razed their buildings when they intended to build them.

I've also resolved a bug that prevented monarchs and stewards from being able to view the KD forum.
    Last edited by joshmg; 02-05-2016 at 16:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    You don't get notified from your browser when things occur. You have to check your news/throne page. Giving mobile a notification from an automated process wouldn't be fair to people not using mobile. The only "fair" way to counter it would be to log on and check your province every 5 minutes which, for us humans, isn't feasible.
    Not true Palem, you could also add desktop push notifications that do not require a cell phone, to even things.
    #magi

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    That doesn't even things out though. People aren't chained to their desktops at all hours like they are with cellphones.

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    That doesn't even things out though. People aren't chained to their desktops at all hours like they are with cellphones.
    Now we're talking about something else. Some people are actually chained to their desktop at all hours. There will always be an advantage to being chained to your phone or your desktop vs being someone not chained to their phone or desktop in Utopia. if your phone is away from you what good does the notification do you? if your away from your desktop, what good does the notification do you?
    #magi

If we added notifications to the mix, desktop and cell and then added access to this notification system via a third party API the game would just be more enjoyable for some... making the game more enjoyable for people only helps the game.
    #magi

Thread Information