Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kingdom Spells

Kingdom Spells

Kind of like a dragon, it would effect every province in the target kingdom but is more like an instant or a duration based spell cast by the whole kingdom.
    DEUS SIVE NATURA

Your suggestion inspired me to think of what it would be like as a potential bonus for running all mystics.. maybe if it was all mystics and you got every prov to cast in a 3 hour period like 30% of their total potential mana a certain spell you could send a aura spell but their whole kingdom under an aura that is like dragons. idk but it was a nice thing to muse about.
    #magi

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by olAllan View Post
    Kind of like a dragon, it would effect every province in the target kingdom but is more like an instant or a duration based spell cast by the whole kingdom.
    I don't hate the idea but I don't love it either. Would have to be massively expensive and/or difficult to cast I would think. Would have to hear more before I throw support behind it.

If this required action from an entire kingdom to work then it will lead to a lot of frustration.

I was thinking they would have extremely high rune cost, maybe casting limits (ex 1-3 per war), and/or limits in regards to relations (maybe only in hostile/war). Balancing effects would be tricky but not too difficult. I didn't contrive specific effects because it is merely a suggestion for something new. I figured specifics could be hammered out if people were interested in the idea.

Having both offensive and defensive spell options would be preferred (imho).

Enhanced and/or augmented versions of classic or extinct spells may be interesting.

I can come up with some examples if the developers and the community takes interest. Personally, I'd like to see something new or maybe more ways to combine options to make the game more strategic, or a race overhaul, or something to reinvigorate interest because it seems like the game is stagnating.

It goes without saying that we all love the game. I'm not the eldest player but I've been around Utopia in some capacity since age 20 and it seems like this is a good time to shake things up a little. For example we haven't had a race selection change since age 50 when we resurrected the Undead.
    DEUS SIVE NATURA

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by olAllan View Post
    ...when we resurrected the Undead.
    I see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by trekguy View Post
    I see what you did there.
    lol I don't quite follow you. What did I do?
    DEUS SIVE NATURA

Regular
    So.. it would be like Drakes, only everyone funds with runes - or must someone actually cast a spell?

Hmm let's say anyone is able to cast it. However it takes a large amount of runes (which we know decay) and casting it would take a large amount of mana ~40% and have a 80% change to land the spell. The casters wpa vs. the enemy kingdoms "average overall" wpa. This would mean tb damage, decay, and planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Grrahl View Post
    So.. it would be like Drakes, only everyone funds with runes - or must someone actually cast a spell?
    Like dragons except the cost is in runes. I'll elaborate in my next response because I haven't quite figured out how to use multi quotes in this forum yet. lol sorry.
    DEUS SIVE NATURA

Quote Originally Posted by Paymon View Post
    Hmm let's say anyone is able to cast it. However it takes a large amount of runes (which we know decay) and casting it would take a large amount of mana ~40% and have a 80% change to land the spell. The casters wpa vs. the enemy kingdoms "average overall" wpa. This would mean tb damage, decay, and planning.
    I say, those are some good thoughts. I really like how you tied in mana cost as I didn't consider mana; perhaps there could be a kingdom spell mana pool (that could be better than my slots idea I mention later in this). I didn't consider these to be cast by individual players. The in-game rationale would be that "kingdom spells" would be considerably more powerful than any magics a single province could muster.

The following are some more detailed thoughts I've had about the concept.

I think that dragon like costs and casting limitations is sufficient to justify a 100% success rate on these spells. The trick to balancing a kingdom spell is in their effects which I recommend being flat, has in always having fixed percentages in their effect (like a dragon ie the gold dragon's -25% BE effects all players equally).

When a kingdom casts a kingdom spell the flare text would appear in the News page of both kingdoms and each effected provinces throne page (detailing the spells effect on the province).

This is a sample, an idea, for one offensive kingdom spell I've been considering . . . recall I also suggested self kingdom spells. I have a few ideas for kingdom spells but I'm trying to get a feel for community interest in it. I shall continue fleshing out my ideas on it so long as I get feedback from people.

DISINTEGRATION

It's duration would be instantaneous and it would disintegrate a set percentage of each provinces military. I would suggest it destroys 10-15% divided among all troops (except thieves and mages) home and away (yes I meant away).

What could we do to balance this? It seems incredibly strong. If a kingdom could cast this 10 times it could reduce a kingdom to acres and peasants leaving easy takings for the casting kingdom. I'd say that limitless castings of these spells would be horribly unbalanced. However, if a kingdom could only cast it once it would be barely effective in the long run. Three offensive kingdom spells would be a reasonable maximum in war and self kingdom spells should have some similar casting limitations as well to keep them from being abused.

*Another thought on casting limits is perhaps each kingdom gets a set limit which regenerates at a set rate per year. Examples- each kingdom gets a limit of, and starts wit 3 or 4 then every week regenerates by 1 or 2, or the kingdom could have a higher limit but a slower regeneration rate, say starts and has a limit of 5 but regenerates at a mere 1 per week.

As you can see this is a complicated idea but I think it would reshape the game in an interesting way if it could be actualized. It would (by my estimation) dynamically change both oow and war strategy in the game without destroying or making null any current fundamental tactics.
    Last edited by olAllan; 24-12-2015 at 06:06. Reason: minor errors (more edits may follow)
    DEUS SIVE NATURA

I'd like to re-submit this suggestion.
    DEUS SIVE NATURA

Enthusiast
    As cool as it sounds, I think it would be way OP. I mean, dragons have the same effect (Unless you're a WH), and they are expensive for a reason. Even with dragons, depending on the KD, you can get rid of the effects. However, with a spell, you'd be able to effect an entire KD without a way to remove the effects. Seems OP and too complicated to make the game any better, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximII View Post
    As cool as it sounds, I think it would be way OP. I mean, dragons have the same effect (Unless you're a WH), and they are expensive for a reason. Even with dragons, depending on the KD, you can get rid of the effects. However, with a spell, you'd be able to effect an entire KD without a way to remove the effects. Seems OP and too complicated to make the game any better, IMO.
    I share your concern about it being OP, but I think it can be balanced in several ways. I also understand that an idea this big would require a great deal deliberation to get it right conceptually, let alone in reality. Hence, I'm reluctant to bring specifics to the table at this time.

It would be a revolution in how the game is played, and players would need ages to fully grasp it's potential (strategically speaking).

On restrictions, I've already mentioned the heavy rune cost but that wouldn't, on its own, be enough to balance these kind of spells. I've considered a few more ideas- 1) stance limitations mean some spells can only be used in certain stances or relations (like MS, some kingdom spells could be used only in war), and perhaps, 2) age limitations, like recruiting, each kingdom begins with X kingdom spells (X slots) and can receive an extra slot every 3 or so years (weeks RL).

Restrictions/limitations like these would balance the kind of power these spells would command.
    Last edited by olAllan; 25-03-2016 at 02:42.
    DEUS SIVE NATURA

If you guys plagiarized my idea I'd at least appreciate some credit. :P

Anyhow, the rituals seem pretty neat. I've been away for a couple ages. Much has changed.
    DEUS SIVE NATURA

Thread Information