Thread: Remove Vacation Mode

Postaholic

Remove Vacation Mode

The ability to enter Vacation Mode seems to always have drama following it. I suggest removing it.

I know this suggestion has been made in other threads, but I'm going to make it an official suggestion in the suggestion forum.

With the introduction of sitting for extended periods of time there is really no need for vacation mode. In fact most monarch's would probably not even allow one of their provinces to enter vacation mode, as it also makes a kingdom weaker (in the warring tier) Maybe allow a few more days of sitting per age to allow for sitting to be used for an extended vacation.

Please don't bring the drama from the other threads here, but simply make cases as to how the game would look without Vacation Mode and whether it is or is not good for the game both at the top, and in casual play.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    I disagree, for one simple reason.

By removing VM, you're forcing users that are away into one of two (legal) options. Either:
    1. Pay money
    or
    2. Lose your province

The game has always avoided being P2W and P2P, and something like this is bordering on P2P.

I agree that VM is incredibly abusable as it currently is and the problem is that usually by the time support can look into a complaint, the "damage" is already done. However, I think the fix is pretty simple. People usually abuse VM to avoid bad things happening to their province, so instead of just removing them for VM mode, delete the province. If there's a situation like what happened with BB's province, they can be reinstated.

Postaholic
    Makes sense Palem, I think the problem with Vacation Mode as it is, is that the province is completely protected while in vacation mode. Without that protection I think a lot of the situations where it is being abused would be removed.

If there was a way to make it so that the province lost its "sphere of protection" then I think it would be used in much more honest ways. I know it is tough because without the protection it is possible to have your province be hit and peasants to desert down to 0, killing your province.

Maybe once an age you can get a free "vacation" but it works like sitting (somebody takes over your province), however to prevent abuse (as much as possible) you have to do no offensive actions for 48h prior to entering Vacation, and the duration has to be a minimum of a week.

Honestly I dont know the best way to do it that is fair to everyone.. I guess making the penalty for VM violations more severe could help... I just think any time you give a province complete protection for a period of time (other than when making a brand new province) it is going to be abused.

Scribe
    they could give a few days of free sitting credits.

or just auto kick provinces out of VM as soon as war is declared.

or they could give a monarch the ability to switch a province from VM to sitting when war starts.(combined with the auto kick in war)

Forum Fanatic
    Vacation is fine as it is.Most never use it to begin with.As Palem mentioned tho. It is in place so people can go away without losing their province for a few days and without having to pay money for someone else .Some dont even want others playing their province.

The game is so geared now to be user friendly and not bother any ones free time with +/- attack times,no fog or anything else that bothers people log in times, why on earth would they take away something that lets people get away also.Remember the game doesnt reward active people anymore.Its designed more now for random log ins.

Monsters

Fighting the world back Proudly since Age 35

#MONSTERS

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodwitch View Post
    they could give a few days of free sitting credits.

or just auto kick provinces out of VM as soon as war is declared.

or they could give a monarch the ability to switch a province from VM to sitting when war starts.(combined with the auto kick in war)
    few days of free credits wont happen because it is $$$ lost to the devs.

auto kick/monarch ability to swich in war has it's abuses too. u can be fully protected from ops in hostile which might favour long hostile plays. i suggest removing VM entirely. if the person is truly unable to play, then he/she should risk his province to attacks. Either that or set VM to a longer period, i.e 1 week and 48 hours no aggressive actions instead of 24 so that people would have less incentive to abuse. 3 days is just right for a war to be over and done with and then u can reap the benefits of a EOWCF.

Regular
    do not let provinces to enter/leave VM while in war. This should solve most of issues with it... easy to implement

Post Fiend
    It would be better if you set a date for when VM would end and it was visible to everyone else when they clicked on your prov. It can never be ended early but can be extended, in which case it would adjust the date. Or if your not sure when you are coming back there should be an option for this that will stop you from re entering during a war and must be a min 7 days. Also allow sots on vm provs

I don't believe it should be removed but I think the monarch should be able to cancel it at anytime not only after 5 days. We had a player that instead of quitting (for internal issues) abused the vacation mode feature to prolong exiting the kingdom for almost 2 weeks. We had to remove him from vacation twice at 5 days. Both of which he logged on promptly after it was ended to begin the next one. Vacation mode needs the option to be terminated at any time.

Thread Information