Thread: Halfer Rogue

Halfer Rogue

With the 10% pop bonus, and let's pretend science is not a factor,

I've heard people saying that rogue halters should now run fewer houses and make better use elsewhere, or that they should run normal houses to get the full 10% bonus. Thoughts?

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Homes are not affected by racial bonuses. A halfer home doesn't give space for 11.

Forum Fanatic
    Halfer Homes are still pretty good. Halfer likes the population space to hold military and TPA. Their natural bonus is just like having 25% free homes, minus the employment and birthrate effects, but it doesn't stack with other homes. It stacks with other pop modifiers though.

I like Homes to get the kind of raw OP/DP a Halfer needs to deal with pure attackers, as 5/0 and 4/4 units by themselves shrink against 7/x units. It might be a different story if you can maximize your draft rate.

Forum Fanatic
    Halfling rogues should be running homes, in prep for and then in conflict.

Like 40% homes.

Postaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by Zauper View Post
    Halfling rogues should be running homes, in prep for and then in conflict.

Like 40% homes.
    This.

Half rogues only function optimally if pumped as **** while still maintaining full TD efficiency. Not for TPA, but to minimize losses (WTs and CS kills thieves, and lots of them, no matter TPA). Halfers TPA sustain throughout conflict = everything. For that, while still presenting decent military, they need a **** ton of homes. Both in prep for, and during conflict as Zauper says.
    Last edited by Tadpole; 12-01-2016 at 22:12.
    RoughKnecS

--> Want art? <--
    --> Or see Tadpole banners? <--

The industrys greats

** Cerberus ** Killah ** Shadowheart **

First guy--I think you misunderstood what I was asking, thanks though :)

Other guys, so i guess running 0-5% homes makes sense, but so does 40%...?

It's hard to get 40% homes, especially in a war build. I don't really need to attack except suiciders, so the strong-arms won't factor, but the extra homes would cut into the need for most other things.

TD's, Forts, Banks, are all less needed with extra size. Wouldn't want to give up too much TD's due to their extra effectiveness though. Tight build, but isn't it always?
    Last edited by K_arthur; 13-01-2016 at 02:01.

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by K_arthur View Post

Other guys, so i guess running 0-5% homes makes sense, but so does 40%...?

It's hard to get 40% homes, especially in a war build. I don't really need to attack except suiciders, so the strong-arms won't factor, but the extra homes would cut into the need for most other things.

TD's, Forts, Banks, are all less needed with extra size. Wouldn't want to give up too much TD's due to their extra effectiveness though. Tight build, but isn't it always?
    Halfling rogue gets double dens bonus. With 50% homes, you need something like 7 ppa to have max BE, letting you cap the dens bonus with 20%. 8 farms, 10 guilds, 2 towers, 10 forts. Good nuff.

Homes on halfling are multipurpose. If you're safe, you can do something like that - the equivalent of drafting to 2 ppa while maintaining likely 120 mdpa and 6-7 rtpa. If you aren't safe, you can slam down extra elites and release or hit or slay with em over time.

Forum Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Zauper View Post
    Halfling rogue gets double dens bonus. With 50% homes, you need something like 7 ppa to have max BE, letting you cap the dens bonus with 20%. 8 farms, 10 guilds, 2 towers, 10 forts. Good nuff.

Homes on halfling are multipurpose. If you're safe, you can do something like that - the equivalent of drafting to 2 ppa while maintaining likely 120 mdpa and 6-7 rtpa. If you aren't safe, you can slam down extra elites and release or hit or slay with em over time.
    How can you only run 2% Towers??

Forum Fanatic
    They're assuming it's the middle of the age, you can draft as deep as you want and can stockpile the gold and runes to pull it off... you could do it earlier, but it works a lot better with science and the specialization allowed, and it is more of a necessity given higher offenses by that point.

40% homes is pretty reasonable once you're in a pattern of pumping.
    Even if you don't draft deep, homes are fairly useful for setting up, but early age you'd still want guilds, towers, and banks to supplement your income. Probably more like 20 homes 10 banks 10farms 20 guilds 10 towers 20 dens 10 forts, if I were a purely defensive Halfer, and those guilds could be cut if I really need the defense. (I wouldn't be a purely defensive halfer early age unless I were exploring lots tho, but that's neither here nor there...)

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by K_arthur View Post
    I was just addressing this:
    I've heard people saying that rogue halters should now run fewer houses and make better use elsewhere, or that they should run normal houses to get the full 10% bonus. Thoughts?
    There is no "full" bonus for homes on Halfers. In terms of raw bonuses, homes are the same on every race. Wasn't trying to give advice, just seemed like you were being fed false information.

Postaholic
    You don't need banks in a war build :)

2% towers is doable if you stockpile prior to war (don't limit your stealth to in-war usage - deploy oow too), and spend every twenty or so ops on stealing runes from a well stocked TM. You can even ask for aid. Halfers rarely have TB problems. Your building space is more important than any core hitter for instance, let them carry the burden of an extra % towers if you need to. Besides, a HA rogue doesn't need that many runes.

You can surely run a bit lower than 50% homes if you like to, Fact is, however, that homes helps you prep quicker too though. Just make sure you run your TDs at near max efficiency with regards to thieve losses, and enough def to be flexible (= a lot).

Also, don't restrict yourself to "not hit", follow the flow of the war and be opportunistic. Built well and mid-late war hitting halfers can be good fun :)
    RoughKnecS

--> Want art? <--
    --> Or see Tadpole banners? <--

The industrys greats

** Cerberus ** Killah ** Shadowheart **

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
    Also, don't restrict yourself to "not hit", follow the flow of the war and be opportunistic. Built well and mid-late war hitting halfers can be good fun :)
    Awesome advice there.
    A outerworld vagabond Elf traveling this world.
    From the world of Thardferr, herald of the Eldar Elven Kingdoms
    Elven Roles sense Age 63: Sage, Mystic, Rogue, Tactician, Cleric, Merchant, Heretic, War Hero, Warrior, Paladin, Undead, Artisan, Raider

Thread Information