Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cowards of Utopia

Post Fiend

Cowards of Utopia

I played this game many, many years ago and enjoyed it a great deal. I was one of those monarchs that just enjoyed building a kingdom by teaching the new people how to play the game, and testing our kingdom against others in war. I did not care where we landed on the charts, I just cared that we got better by learning from our mistakes, and learning from the other cool monarchs that would give me advice after we lost a war. After a few years I was the one giving advice after we won wars and I made many friends all over the world. It was awesome! And then the Alliances came into play. I actually joined one with a couple of my friends thinking that we would take on some of the other alliances in the game, but halfway into the age I realized we were not attacking the other big and strong alliances, we are attacking the smaller and weaker ones or the kingdoms that refused to join an alliance. I quickly quit the alliance and spent the next couple ages fighting multiple alliances in the game. When we started to get attacked by much smaller kingdoms and told if we retalled their alliance buddies would raze us, I decided to quit the game. There were just too many bullies in the game.

When I came back a couple years ago I was excited about the changes in the game, but even more excited about the fact that the alliances were gone. I started building a kingdom again, teaching new players how to play and getting old friends to come back to the game. While we are still a "ghetto" or "newbie" kingdom we have had a lot of fun, and fought a lot of wars. We do not negotiate war, we usually just attack a kingdom of EQUAL SIZE, and if they either agree to war us or send a CF. If they CF us, we accept right away and move on. Now we have come across some awesome kingdoms that just smoked us in war, but usually they were cool and told us where our weaknesses were. We have also come across a few cowards.

I have read a few threads in the forums, and one thing that bothers me is how people keep saying Utopia is a dying game. To be honest, I was shocked when it still existed when I came back to check it out. I thought for sure it would be dead since it was soooo unenjoyable when I left. But not only is it still here, but it is 100 times better than before. We can recruit now, instead of having to hope and pray that the next newbie that comes into your kingdom does not go inactive or is not a complete idiot. We can have someone sit our province when we are on vacation. We have such better tools to keep track of our kingdom and our enemies, and the espionage page??? Amazing changes to the game. I don't know who deserves the credit for this, Bishop? Mehul? Al Gore?, but thanks for making the game so much better.

So why is it dying? Simple answer are their are still too many bullies and cowards in the game, and no one has put them in check. They are the ones trying to get to the top of the growth charts or honor charts every age. They don't do it with fair fights, they go around hitting smaller and weaker kingdoms and stealing their acres or honor. When the smaller kingdom sends a CF, they decline and tell them "give us 10k acres and we will leave you alone", or "we will move on once your Counts are Barons!!". They ruin the age for smaller and weaker kingdoms, and ruin the game for many players causing them to quit. Then they come into the forums and cry about how Utopia is a dying game when they are the ones killing it. They have no honor, no integrity and no guts.

I say it is time to call out the cowards of utopia. I mean, they already know who they are, but it's time for the rest of us to know. When you come across a kingdom that is cowardly, post the story here. You can give the name of the kingdom, but I am not sure if you can give the location. I will start it.

The first cowards we have come across is names Hostile. Now like many other cowards in this game, they made their name Hostile so no one else could attack them, when actually they are not hostile with anyone. What they are doing is waving a smaller kingdom that will not go to war with them and has already sent them 2 CF proposals. Of course, they declined and demanded 10k acres from us. If we ambush or do any ops on them they will keep waving us. If we roll over and give them the 10k acres, they will go away. So now we are in limbo until these cowards accept CF and go away. Then they will move on to another smaller kingdom and do the same thing.

Maybe one day the people with honor, integrity and guts will band together to spank the cowards and bullies of Utopia. Or maybe Bishop will put in something to spank them, like loss of gains, troops, and honor for attacking a kingdom that sent a CF. Until then I will just hope that the number of cowards and bullies do not grow to the point where I have to quit the game. Just dealing with these people takes all the joy out of this game.

You hade a good post going then you started crying about how mean the top is. The reason Utopia is dying cause its a text based strategy game.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ed View Post
    [snip]
    So why is it dying? Simple answer are their are still too many bullies and cowards in the game, and no one has put them in check.
    If bullies and cowards are what kills an online game there would be no online games left. You make some valid points, but blaming the death of the game on that is just silly. I played in the very early ages of UTO before it got really big, the bullying and crying were even worse then yet the game was growing like crazy.

I totally agree about how crappy the alliances were, I left utopia for a long time after it became clear that mega alliances were going to rule the servers for the foreseeable future. Maybe thats why utopia started dying, but its continual decline has more to do with its failure to keep up with changing technology and player base(IE its not an app game and most of the players are not high schoolers any more, we have real jobs n ****).
    All hail Bart of Farta

This "Hostile" kd got waved by FS or whoever they are. Then Spartans waved this other kd and they now in war. It's just game mechanics. You hit then get hit. Only CR dodge this but who cares. :)

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Serious question:

If you don't care where you end up on the land/honor charts, why do you care if they take your land and honor?

Director of Age Changes
    tl;dr, top is mean.

You're either a winner or a loser in this game. There is no gray area.... and this guy sounds like a huge loser.
    "Godly, you do realized that you have just sealed your faith now, right?"

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Godly View Post
    You're either a winner or a loser in this game. There is no gray area.... and this guy sounds like a huge loser.
    But without all those "losers" who would you be winning against?
    If all minor league Baseball Clubs would shut down, where would the majors get players?

There is nothing wrong with hitting for land. But destroying kingdoms just to get ahead is what it in fact killing this game.
    In sports the best players take the time to share their knowledge, in Utopia the best players share nothing but spite and bad attitude.

A bad player isn't a loser. A bad player is someone who has yet to read my book on how to play utopia perfectly.

A loser is someone who refuses to read my book and cites the strong players as "cowards" and the problem for why they're doing bad. This entire thread is disgusting.
    "Godly, you do realized that you have just sealed your faith now, right?"

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Godly View Post
    Don't insult users.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodwitch View Post
    In sports the best players take the time to share their knowledge
    Generally not with the other team though lol
    I've found players to be very helpful to other players that ask for help though

Postaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodwitch View Post
    But without all those "losers" who would you be winning against?
    If all minor league Baseball Clubs would shut down, where would the majors get players?

There is nothing wrong with hitting for land. But destroying kingdoms just to get ahead is what it in fact killing this game.
    In sports the best players take the time to share their knowledge, in Utopia the best players share nothing but spite and bad attitude.
    I'd go as far to call you a liar good sir. Why? Well...

How many top players have you actually reached out to? Most top monarchs and many players in the top are very approachable. If you take a look in the strategy forum, you have plenty of players (even monarchs like Zauper - currently monarch in the #1 kd) in the top kingdoms answering questions and helping out. If you reach out on IRC I think you will be hard pressed finding top kingdoms who refuse to help you out. In fact, I know several current and recent top kd's to have taken other, less skilled kingdoms, under their wing to help out - even to the extent that they'd have permanent presence in their private chat rooms.

There's plenty of logical reasons for that. Cynically you could claim that the better players get, the more acres they will have that can be taken. But you also have to appreciate that top kingdom players spend more time than anyone of this game, and consequently wants it to thrive. Best way of doing that is to encourage competition.

The biggest problem in utopia is NOT that the top doesn't share, it's the exact opposite. Bad players and bad kingdoms think they know how to play and doesn't bother consulting those who know better and instead blame bullying to cover up the fact that they are sub-optimal players.

Sorry for being harsh.
    RoughKnecS

--> Want art? <--
    --> Or see Tadpole banners? <--

The industrys greats

** Cerberus ** Killah ** Shadowheart **

To the guy that started this crap - dude 24hrs when we waved you you guys were 1 spot before us in the nw chart - WTF are you talking about that we bullied you?
    We waved, fully opened our attackers, gave button - then got massive ops and ambushes - few hrs later I get cf - LOL, ofc that I will tell you to **** off and eat few more waves, instead you continue retals - so tell me what did we do wrong here that you name us cowards?
    Pff the game is dead cause people like you, leading kingdoms but not having the balls to actually lead.
    To the rest of Utopia - Greetings from Jerks we had couple of ages on lower levels, not we try to be back up to the active lines, see ya out there lads
    Jerks - #officialjerks

Forum Fanatic
    Summary of responses to this thread:

The established kingdoms really got people over a barrel, with rampant collusion and double-standards in diplomacy. It has been this way for a long time but it is more pronounced now, due to the smaller base of players and the game's mechanics making it harder to play in relative peace.

Most of this comes from the war kingdoms rather than the strong growth kingdoms actually. Growth kingdoms can't spend forever ****ting on a single kingdom and expect to win, but a war kingdom gets their jollies from griefing anyone with the temerity to actually try to play the game. It's not fun to put up with that bull****. I'd wager it's those people more than the BBs and AMAs that make the game unplayable.

Using hostile as a diplomatic shield is a bunch of bull****. Unfortunately if the game community properly knifed people in the back who need to be knifed, the server would erupt into an orgy of violence. Such is the nature of endemic corruption.
    Last edited by noobium; 15-01-2016 at 19:19.

Post Fiend
    Who`s this Stephenie Meyer of Utopia - Godly and what Kd he plays in?

Director of Age Changes
    Skill gap and the contraction of the game will spawn more and more topics like this, no problem.
    Last edited by Avenger; 15-01-2016 at 20:22.

Thread Information