Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Libraries Age 67

Post Fiend
    We're just ending a war right now. We lost hard. I was doing very well. I'm going back into my non-war build so things will look very different.

I like to post
    let me know where you at blue mass. Id love to take ur intel and learn :)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Mass View Post
    It's something I've done for a while. I once had a province that was making over 5mil each day (game day). I have to be the reason their is a cap on science because the next age after I did that. They put a cap on science. It is more than just a science pump. It is not something I came up with just now. I've been know about these things that I am sharing with you all now. I've known from when I first started playing.
    Get out.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Post Fiend
    Blue Mass == NickMi?
    Tadpole's troopers, aka RoughKnecks!
    22:31 atlas: didnt i say to not post in public forums? whats so f*cking difficult to understand about that?

Needs to get out more
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Utopian View Post
    Ask for math
    Receive speculation

Ask for speculation
    Receive ???
    Essentially what I'm learning is that if you don't do math, things become obvious anyways and you can eyeball all.

I don't do math and whatever I did was relative to the environment. For instance, I just restarted and built a faery cleric. Explored. Set science to active. Built a lot of guilds.

Then I got in trouble when an undead guy grabbed acres from my waffer thin defense. I counter with a simple ambush and cast PF which lands on the first try. I'm good. I'm not sure what the math calls it ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by StratOcastle View Post
    Essentially what I'm learning is that if you don't do math, things become obvious anyways and you can eyeball all.

I don't do math and whatever I did was relative to the environment. For instance, I just restarted and built a faery cleric. Explored. Set science to active. Built a lot of guilds.

Then I got in trouble when an undead guy grabbed acres from my waffer thin defense. I counter with a simple ambush and cast PF which lands on the first try. I'm good. I'm not sure what the math calls it ;-)
    Scrap the math man. People are obsessed with it. Generally I understand why, considering how heavily this game relies on mechanics, and how everyone is competing to get that edge. But many people vastly underestimate how big a role intuition plays in this game. I have probably half a dozen players in my KD that I would say are exceptional players, and only two or three of them ever talk numbers.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by StratOcastle View Post

I have no idea how your random anecdote has any bearing on the virtues of using math, nor do I have any idea how this is a reply or rebuff to my post.

You successfully ambushed a province therefore math and or efficiency is not valuable Q.E.D?

Math almost certainly calls whatever you do inefficient, but who really cares? You stand for the notion you can do well enough and have fun without min maxing and this is true, but most of the people asking questions here are seeking information on becoming better at min max province management or the math behind mechanics. My post was simply poking fun at the OP specifically requesting math and receiving a bunch of what you refer to as slop in reply.

Postaholic
    Math is a part of my lexicon, and I do use it intuitively. I have my phone calculator in use, and a pen and paper handy. Sometimes I think Angel would be fun, but I find it too slow.

Back to libraries, I am learning how important science is, especially later in the age. I guess the same could be said for life.
    Why can't we steal books back? We can get half land back with Ambush. Why not books?

Needs to get out more
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Utopian View Post
    I have no idea how your random anecdote has any bearing on the virtues of using math, nor do I have any idea how this is a reply or rebuff to my post.

You successfully ambushed a province therefore math and or efficiency is not valuable Q.E.D?

Math almost certainly calls whatever you do inefficient, but who really cares? You stand for the notion you can do well enough and have fun without min maxing and this is true, but most of the people asking questions here are seeking information on becoming better at min max province management or the math behind mechanics. My post was simply poking fun at the OP specifically requesting math and receiving a bunch of what you refer to as slop in reply.
    I keep forgetting we don't like each other :-D

I wasn't rebuffing your comments, just observing that "close IS close enough". I guess it's ok to mention I've seen formulas, can't figure them out but get the gist. Then I mock up some slop, and must say, did better than the guys supposedly following the formula. And I'm talking about the big stuff.

The guys that know the numbers are not going to readily share formulas is my guess,..or simply aren't interested in answering a question they've already answered. If you then assume they won't share everything you use the evidence given to complete the circle. In fact, I think the question was answered based in the bpa posts.

But has it ever turned the tide for anyone here? Sure. If they all prescribe to convention. My point is that I observe convention and make my own conclusions. I don't follow convention verbatim because it's a proven source of failure in the face of unpredictability. Like being fat is bad. That's not true, but most guys buy the entire line because it's true when opponents are using similar logistics and following similar strategic doctrine.

The depth of the question in Utopia is, can you defeat a conventionally and logistically superior opponent? I can say yes on many and most occasions. I contend that most kingdoms in Utopia fight colonial style and get fancier as you climb the charts. To task, I've never seen a rogue target libraries with GA. At that point we tend to see a raze. What are you when 80% of your acres are razed? You have to be confident in that circumstance.

All said, I apologize if my words offended you. I'm not here to answer the math, I'm here to put it in perspective.

How?
    When?
    Where?
    Why?
    What?

Equal attention to these questions often yield the best answers. I can't overstate "equal".
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Veteran
    dislike is probably too strong, but incompatible for sure!

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Panthira View Post
    I will op my own guys.
    Tell me about it :P

Postaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Tell me about it :P
    But I don't need to tell you. BTW, better check your news. ;)

Enthusiast
    number crunching is fine I have a full excel sheet on science and libraries which is also tied to BE, building % and its declining rate of return, pop base, gold income and military/TPA/WPA. But in the end intuition of what to do at the proper moment comes first, being math is the theoretical part while intuition or experience is the actual.

Quote Originally Posted by Panthira View Post
    Back to libraries, I am learning how important science is, especially later in the age. I guess the same could be said for life.
    Why can't we steal books back? We can get half land back with Ambush. Why not books?
    Seconded, that and resources!
    Last edited by RedPanda; 06-04-2016 at 05:06.
    A outerworld vagabond Elf traveling this world.
    From the world of Thardferr, herald of the Eldar Elven Kingdoms
    Elven Roles sense Age 63: Sage, Mystic, Rogue, Tactician, Cleric, Merchant, Heretic, War Hero, Warrior, Paladin, Undead, Artisan, Raider

Postaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    number crunching is fine I have a full excel sheet on science and libraries which is also tied to BE, building % and its declining rate of return, pop base, gold income and military/TPA/WPA. But in the end intuition of what to do at the proper moment comes first, being math is the theoretical part while intuition or experience is the actual.

Seconded, that and resources!
    Agreement all around.
    The numbers can only help with the foundation and maintenance, but being Utopian streetwise is the meat.

And it only makes sense it should be easier to steal books back than land. ;)
    Resources, I don't think so. Those are consumable.

The problem with books is that it's an instantaneous gain, whereas land, besides war spoils, is not. I think it's more complicated than we think. Or maybe not...

Post Fiend
    Moved.
    Last edited by Blue Mass; 10-04-2016 at 09:19.

Thread Information