Thread: Wow, is the same Utopia that Mehul Patel used to run?

Wow, is the same Utopia that Mehul Patel used to run?

I'm going to guess it must be, because the site still had my old arse email in it's database, but just wow, that's kind of mind blowing that this game is still around, considering it first came amount in the late 90's.

So uhh, any reaaalllly old players still around? Like, say from 2003 or before? Just wondering if there's anyone around that I might remember, I played from the beta(like..1997 I think?) until about 2003, then came back around 2008-09 for a few sets/ages. Kingdom was "The Living Legends" and I'm pretty sure my consistent province name was "Legend of Nightlund" if that sparks any memories.

Besides that, what all's changed in the last decade or so? I see the original 8 races are back(I'm pretty sure at one point one or two of them got nixed, but looking through the guide it looks like they are all there again), but the bonuses and what not seem roughly the same as what I recall. Anyone remember the days of Faeries Elite Unit(Beastmaster, not sure if it still is) being 1/8?

Sorry for rambling, I had a dream last night that for some odd reason involved Utopia and when I woke up I was like "Huh, I'm going to go check and see if that game is still around".

It is still the same now owned by Sean&Brian former Jolt workers? or they bought it from Jolt, the game is pretty much on life support with roughly 3300 players, but we still have fun and people still whine :P

We are a few oldies still here, playing from the early years.

I would say a lot has changed mechanism wise, and sadly the faery elites are no longer as good as then, but the game is more level now in the sense of units strenght.
    War is what happens when language fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Aranfein View Post
    It is still the same now owned by Sean&Brian former Jolt workers? or they bought it from Jolt, the game is pretty much on life support with roughly 3300 players, but we still have fun and people still whine :P

We are a few oldies still here, playing from the early years.

I would say a lot has changed mechanism wise, and sadly the faery elites are no longer as good as then, but the game is more level now in the sense of units strenght.
    Mmm, I remember when Jolt took over, can't recall if I was still playing or not at the time, but I was definitely still lurking around at the time.

The other game of Mehul's, Earth2025 is still alive and kicking as well apparently, privately owned and run by an old player of the game. Both games of my late teenage/early 20's years, lol.

Ouch on the 3300 players, that's definitely a fraction of what it used to have, but then again the game is closing in on 2 decades old so that's probably to be expected ^^.

There is a lot less multies and i dont think there is any bots nowdays, the security is pretty good for the average player (no doubt there are some still multi in order to get ahead).

The game has changed a lot and with the new mobile app (unofficial, but accepted) its at least trying to improve, we also got stinger & munk's small programs (add-ons) and for ingame use to simplify we have (Utools, made by Angelus), but even with these excellent programs at hand, i doubt the game will ever reinvent itself, to become a big success ones more, still fun to play.

The game decreased by a huge margin when Jolt took over and messed around with the code, it was needed, but too many mistakes while renewing it and downtime was too big and once it came back up it took 80 years to load half the time, made players quit in huge numbers.

While i dont agree with everything Sean&Brian has changed and done to the game, they have done a good job to keep the game flowing in a decent way, that is enjoyable.
    Last edited by Aranfein; 11-03-2016 at 04:50.
    War is what happens when language fails.

Veteran
    Myself and one other in my kingdom played the beta back in the day. We have played on and off since then, but yeah the game has changed a ton. I personally enjoy warring using new technologies like smart phones. Where you can be alot more active and not glued to your computer. Anyways welcome back to the game.
    Last edited by handofthrawn; 11-03-2016 at 05:08.

Regular
    There's a new twist..... There's some idiot posting Utopia griefing videos on you tube. He employs strategies where he gains the confidence of his kingdom mates perhaps even enjoys the spoils of war wins. Ie. Books and land. Which then he eventually buffs his sciences and then attacks his kingdom mates.

Regular
    Yeah, I played Earth for a few rounds not too long ago, it was pretty much the same. There was something different and unusual that you could do with oil, but I can't remember what is was. Other than that game was exactly same. It is struggling just as much, if not more, than Utopia.

Remember boats?

Regular
    Oh I remember this game when they used to play the Conan the Barbarian theme on Midi, and I believe 'Who wants to live forever" or Never Ending Story theme or something on midi, and yes I remember boats, I also remembered one season age where land would get randomly destroyed because of rising tides every so often. I remember how you had to build Plazas (for the economy), and you had to build Universities to research, but you had to build schools to earn books.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    I'm going to guess it must be, because the site still had my old arse email in it's database, but just wow, that's kind of mind blowing that this game is still around, considering it first came amount in the late 90's.

So uhh, any reaaalllly old players still around? Like, say from 2003 or before? Just wondering if there's anyone around that I might remember, I played from the beta(like..1997 I think?) until about 2003, then came back around 2008-09 for a few sets/ages. Kingdom was "The Living Legends" and I'm pretty sure my consistent province name was "Legend of Nightlund" if that sparks any memories.
    Besides that, what all's changed in the last decade or so? I see the original 8 races are back(I'm pretty sure at one point one or two of them got nixed, but looking through the guide it looks like they are all there again), but the bonuses and what not seem roughly the same as what I recall. Anyone remember the days of Faeries Elite Unit(Beastmaster, not sure if it still is) being 1/8?

Sorry for rambling, I had a dream last night that for some odd reason involved Utopia and when I woke up I was like "Huh, I'm going to go check and see if that game is still around".

Good to have you have back.

I remember!

I also played way back in the day. My first realm was probably circa 1999 (I can't exactly remember, but it was just before high school), I played regularly through 2005, then on and off again through 2009. I think I went by Khar. Played with folks like Baron, Mako, and others. I wish I could locate all my old stuff, but this was way back when I used Hotmail, and Microsoft didn't keep any of the old stuff.

Sir Postalot
    I played from ages 2-13 and 42- onwards.

Thread Information