Thread: Explore question

Post Fiend

Explore question

I don't have a great understanding of the explore formula, but I'm pretty sure that it's partially dependent on prov size relative to rest of KD.

So, if at OOP 5 provs are explorign 200 acres, is it beneficial to wait 1-2 ticks then explore? Or is the reduction in cost likely to be small enough than having an extra 8 acres for a tick will make up for it?
    Would this b change if all provs are exploring?

Edit: Obviously the discount should change if all provs explore, question was if the discount would become worthwhile if x% of KD explores or some such metric.

It's based on the median province I think, so only the middle province affects it. 5 provs exploring won't affect the median unless there are 10 or less provs in the KD.
    Age 65 - FreeakStyle - FeyrPlay Alliance Win - Dwarves Stole My Bike
    Age 66 - FreeakStyle - #1 Honor & Warring Kingdom - Making FS Great Again
    Age 67 - BeastBlood - #1 Honor Human(Prince) - Steve from Walmart
    Age 68 - BeastBlood ft OldSchool - #1 Honor Kingdom & Avian - We Are All Feyr
    Age 69 - Ancient Spartans - #1 Kingdom in The History of Utopia - Clever Use of Words
    Age 70 - Ancient Spartans - #1 Land(25325 acres) & NW Faery - Spartan of Redeeming Qualities

Post Fiend
    You should get 13 provs to explore 12 acres (so they have 1 acres after 2 hours) and than the lower group can explore cheaper.. am i right?

Post Fiend
    Does the pool generate 50 or 100 acres daily? It gives two different numbers in the wiki guide.

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by feast View Post
    Does the pool generate 50 or 100 acres daily? It gives two different numbers in the wiki guide.
    50 acres per tick.

Scheffie: the cost difference from 1 acre explored is negligible. You'd save 0.25% of the cost for the 12 smaller provs.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Zauper View Post
    50 acres per tick.

Scheffie: the cost difference from 1 acre explored is negligible. You'd save 0.25% of the cost for the 12 smaller provs.
    Zauper is right. Think of it as the peasants you would gain off exploring without waiting would more than make up the cost savings. They would generate more gc than you save at this small of a difference.

Post Fiend
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

So it's based on how much bigger/smaller a given province is compared to the median province?

So if 13/25 explored 200 acres they would be at ~408 vs 400 for the rest, 2% bigger. Initial GC cost is 1001, so this would drop to 981. If exploring 200 acres that's a 4k saving.

Compare that to the peasant income from obtaining an extra 9 acres a tick earlier. This gives an extra 225 peasants (sci is minimal), the peasants would have to make ~18gc/peasant during that tick to be worthwhile.

So looking at simply those two factors, in this particular case it seems like it would be more economical to wait 1 tick? It does ignore getting those 9 acres built earlier and the wiz production/sci production youd get from them. But it does seem like it would yield a small profit, spread over 12 provs it’s a tiny 35k or so.

If I've got the rough formula for exploring wrong or am making too many assumptions lemme know. My KD doesn't tend to explore much so won't be relevant for me, was more me thinking out loud.
    Last edited by abu; 19-04-2016 at 04:26.

Forum Fanatic
    Nope, you're thinking about it wrong. First off, unlikely you're at max pop (growing 225 peons/tick) the first tick after you explore.

Secondly, you're 1 tick ahead on gaining acres for 24 ticks -- at a minimum, assuming you're at max pop each tick, that would mean 225 peons every tick for 24 ticks -- meaning you would need to earn 18/24 or 3/4 gc/peon to be worthwhile.

However, since you're likely to be underpop, the other will also always be one tick ahead on peon growth over a long period of time -- likely resulting in more income overall.

Post Fiend
    Ah yep, I was thinking of a single tick difference, but it is clearly 24 as they have an x acre lead every tick until the second prov finishes exploring.

I still don't understand how the prov that explored earlier will be ahead on peon growth though, after 24h they will have the same pop space, as long as you dont reach max pop before that then there is no difference. You would get a benefit to flat rate buildings and sci, but I don't think it would make a difference to econ in this particular case.

Thread Information