Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Towards an understanding of player fail

ZZZZZzzzzzz to the misinformation about the Athenians and the Spartans..
    #magi

khronosschoty
    with that handle... is it possible you were there?

I recently learned about this psychological concept that explains dwellers in the upper right quadrant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnin...3Kruger_effect

"The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which relatively unskilled persons suffer illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability to be much higher than it really is. Dunning and Kruger attributed this bias to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their own ineptitude and evaluate their own ability accurately. "

ive got three Dunningkrugers in my KD atm, where two of them have their affliction affect utopia
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by Skank View Post
    khronosschoty
    with that handle... is it possible you were there?
    Hey good question hehe!
    #magi

Post Fiend
    I would break this chart.

Quote Originally Posted by blizz View Post
    Why so mad and necro? Hater Palem will just lock :(

Quote Originally Posted by blizz View Post
    See my first post in thread plz

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by peppie View Post
    im entering my 14th year of monarching, and after increased utopia investment (and thus exposure to fail) last age ive further refined my thoughts on player fail

I think fail has two main components: lack of ability and bad intent. Both can be sorted into subcategories: lack of ability would contain things such as inactivity, being hard to reach, low cognitive activity, being sloppy with filling out fields in uto. Bad intent can be malevolence, spite, selfishness, epeen overdose etc.

Ive put these two main ingredients on two axes and tried to map my own minions:

I think the quadrants can be understood as follows:

1. Top left: well meaning players, but who perform badly due to lack of motivation (which causes inactivity), lack of time (oldtimers), general incompetence and such. Theyre not trying to spite the KD, often they do the best they can, but theyre just not impressive. Most of them sort of realize this and will be apologetic about it. "If you want to replace me, thats fine"
    2. Bottom right: these players have activity and ability but happen to be complete asshats. In my experience, most "top" players fit this category. They think theyre the bomb diggity, and the KD has to meet their standards, not the other way around. They will make demands, cause drama, and threaten to quit if they deem stuff inadequate. My feeling is that most KD hoppers fit this bill. Theres no sense of loyalty or responsibility, and e-peen stroking is their prime objective and activity.
    3. Top right: this quadrant represents the worst: they yell, they scream, they demand, they disrupt, but they never deliver. Theyre the inactive asshole that saunters into the convo occasionally, blurts out inane bs and then disappears again for 1-2 days. Or theyre the one-trick-pony "top" player who think theres only one way to achieve a given objective and all others are unacceptable.
    4. Bottom left: this is the sweet spot, where you have low key, active, competent players. They are loyal, they dont generate work, you dont have to check up on them, they will even help out and take work out of your hands. Every monarch's impossible goal is to have every player fit in this quadrant. Minimum drama/policing, maximum performance.

None of the datapoints are static of course. People migrate from one quadrant to another depending on circumstance. A former monarch might travel from bottom left to bottom right because s/he has trouble adjusting to a new environment. A formerly great player travels north due to new work/life obligations. New players travel south as they figure out how the game works. And so on.

One migration that - i think - is very unusual is right to left migration: ive not seen rotten, dysfunctional people change their ways.

id be interested in hearing your thoughts! (esp fellow monarchs)

P.S. of course the ones closest to top right are Yanks and Romanians. Of course.
    Lol
    "Go back to the gym because you f'king suck at utopia, noob." -Godly

My classic black theme for Utopia - Updated 5/13/15

Quote Originally Posted by darkl1ght View Post
    Unfortunately, no amount of razes will improve your war record
    Greatest strategy thread/question of all-time.

I forgot Bart was a persiaphile.

historical revisionists and their muh minorities nonsense. 'I'm a Chinese history major blah blah blah'. Chinese scholarship is poorer quality than even 19th century European treasure hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Folle View Post
    Where would Vlahul fit?
    who are these ghettos?

Quote Originally Posted by Pillz View Post
    I forgot Bart was a persiaphile.

historical revisionists and their muh minorities nonsense. 'I'm a Chinese history major blah blah blah'. Chinese scholarship is poorer quality than even 19th century European treasure hunting.
    you've said that **** before yourself

Quote Originally Posted by javierNelson View Post
    you've said that **** before yourself
    I've never talked up the orient in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Pillz View Post
    I've never talked up the orient in my life.
    Well.. you sorta have!

Quote Originally Posted by Korp View Post
    Well.. you sorta have!
    Touche

Thread Information