Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Towards an understanding of player fail

Towards an understanding of player fail

im entering my 14th year of monarching, and after increased utopia investment (and thus exposure to fail) last age ive further refined my thoughts on player fail

I think fail has two main components: lack of ability and bad intent. Both can be sorted into subcategories: lack of ability would contain things such as inactivity, being hard to reach, low cognitive activity, being sloppy with filling out fields in uto. Bad intent can be malevolence, spite, selfishness, epeen overdose etc.

Ive put these two main ingredients on two axes and tried to map my own minions:

I think the quadrants can be understood as follows:

1. Top left: well meaning players, but who perform badly due to lack of motivation (which causes inactivity), lack of time (oldtimers), general incompetence and such. Theyre not trying to spite the KD, often they do the best they can, but theyre just not impressive. Most of them sort of realize this and will be apologetic about it. "If you want to replace me, thats fine"
    2. Bottom right: these players have activity and ability but happen to be complete asshats. In my experience, most "top" players fit this category. They think theyre the bomb diggity, and the KD has to meet their standards, not the other way around. They will make demands, cause drama, and threaten to quit if they deem stuff inadequate. My feeling is that most KD hoppers fit this bill. Theres no sense of loyalty or responsibility, and e-peen stroking is their prime objective and activity.
    3. Top right: this quadrant represents the worst: they yell, they scream, they demand, they disrupt, but they never deliver. Theyre the inactive asshole that saunters into the convo occasionally, blurts out inane bs and then disappears again for 1-2 days. Or theyre the one-trick-pony "top" player who think theres only one way to achieve a given objective and all others are unacceptable.
    4. Bottom left: this is the sweet spot, where you have low key, active, competent players. They are loyal, they dont generate work, you dont have to check up on them, they will even help out and take work out of your hands. Every monarch's impossible goal is to have every player fit in this quadrant. Minimum drama/policing, maximum performance.

None of the datapoints are static of course. People migrate from one quadrant to another depending on circumstance. A former monarch might travel from bottom left to bottom right because s/he has trouble adjusting to a new environment. A formerly great player travels north due to new work/life obligations. New players travel south as they figure out how the game works. And so on.

One migration that - i think - is very unusual is right to left migration: ive not seen rotten, dysfunctional people change their ways.

id be interested in hearing your thoughts! (esp fellow monarchs)

P.S. of course the ones closest to top right are Yanks and Romanians. Of course.
    FREE

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by peppie View Post
    im entering my 14th year of monarching, and after increased utopia investment (and thus exposure to fail) last age ive further refined my thoughts on player fail

I think fail has two main components: lack of ability and bad intent. Both can be sorted into subcategories: lack of ability would contain things such as inactivity, being hard to reach, low cognitive activity, being sloppy with filling out fields in uto. Bad intent can be malevolence, spite, selfishness, epeen overdose etc.

Ive put these two main ingredients on two axes and tried to map my own minions:

I think the quadrants can be understood as follows:

1. Top left: well meaning players, but who perform badly due to lack of motivation (which causes inactivity), lack of time (oldtimers), general incompetence and such. Theyre not trying to spite the KD, often they do the best they can, but theyre just not impressive. Most of them sort of realize this and will be apologetic about it. "If you want to replace me, thats fine"
    2. Bottom right: these players have activity and ability but happen to be complete asshats. In my experience, most "top" players fit this category. They think theyre the bomb diggity, and the KD has to meet their standards, not the other way around. They will make demands, cause drama, and threaten to quit if they deem stuff inadequate. My feeling is that most KD hoppers fit this bill. Theres no sense of loyalty or responsibility, and e-peen stroking is their prime objective and activity.
    3. Top right: this quadrant represents the worst: they yell, they scream, they demand, they disrupt, but they never deliver. Theyre the inactive asshole that saunters into the convo occasionally, blurts out inane bs and then disappears again for 1-2 days. Or theyre the one-trick-pony "top" player who think theres only one way to achieve a given objective and all others are unacceptable.
    4. Bottom left: this is the sweet spot, where you have low key, active, competent players. They are loyal, they dont generate work, you dont have to check up on them, they will even help out and take work out of your hands. Every monarch's impossible goal is to have every player fit in this quadrant. Minimum drama/policing, maximum performance.

None of the datapoints are static of course. People migrate from one quadrant to another depending on circumstance. A former monarch might travel from bottom left to bottom right because s/he has trouble adjusting to a new environment. A formerly great player travels north due to new work/life obligations. New players travel south as they figure out how the game works. And so on.

One migration that - i think - is very unusual is right to left migration: ive not seen rotten, dysfunctional people change their ways.

id be interested in hearing your thoughts! (esp fellow monarchs)

P.S. of course the ones closest to top right are Yanks and Romanians. Of course.

HAHA interesting

Where would Vlahul fit?

You are so wrong about nobody migrating from right to left though :D

EDIT:
    Also, I wouldn't put malevolence on the same line with those other "qualities", I'll be so bold as to say that not so many people are inherently evil, and even if you do get such a bad apple I would put them at any point of your chart, you just don't know with those people, the really evil people are sort of genius at what they do.
    Last edited by MyNameIsMatija; 19-04-2016 at 17:07.
    Age 65 - FreeakStyle - FeyrPlay Alliance Win - Dwarves Stole My Bike
    Age 66 - FreeakStyle - #1 Honor & Warring Kingdom - Making FS Great Again
    Age 67 - BeastBlood - #1 Honor Human(Prince) - Steve from Walmart
    Age 68 - BeastBlood ft OldSchool - #1 Honor Kingdom & Avian - We Are All Feyr
    Age 69 - Ancient Spartans - #1 Kingdom in The History of Utopia - Clever Use of Words
    Age 70 - Ancient Spartans - #1 Land(25325 acres) & NW Faery - Spartan of Redeeming Qualities

Veteran
    Brb recruiting lotus
    Age 69 Goal: Make Korp lul

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Folle View Post
    Where would Vlahul fit?
    Dude, everybody knows Vlahul is the most succesfull utopia player ever. His activity and selfnesless know no limits. He's the pinnacle of true perfection. He will never be on a fail chart where the degree of epeen goes to just 1 ;)

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsMatija View Post
    You are so wrong about nobody migrating from right to left though :D
    do you have examples? I just said its highly unusual...
    FREE

Post Demon
    Gonna have to borrow fantard from you.

I think most players start out with some degree of selfishness, it's human nature, but you soon realize the benefits of not being selfish and see that those outweigh staying the same. I personally realized that not being selfish is the selfish thing to do, because you will end up better for it in the long run. It also depends who mentors you and who you talk to, so if you have never seen someone migrate from right to left blame yourself a bit as well. You can't do it all alone, some people are better at talking to others it doesn't have to be the monarch, appoint those people in the southwest corner to a role that would coach them.
    Age 65 - FreeakStyle - FeyrPlay Alliance Win - Dwarves Stole My Bike
    Age 66 - FreeakStyle - #1 Honor & Warring Kingdom - Making FS Great Again
    Age 67 - BeastBlood - #1 Honor Human(Prince) - Steve from Walmart
    Age 68 - BeastBlood ft OldSchool - #1 Honor Kingdom & Avian - We Are All Feyr
    Age 69 - Ancient Spartans - #1 Kingdom in The History of Utopia - Clever Use of Words
    Age 70 - Ancient Spartans - #1 Land(25325 acres) & NW Faery - Spartan of Redeeming Qualities

As i said before, havin my own quadrant is a must!

I like to post
    Sounds like AZNs.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by peppie View Post
    being sloppy with filling out fields in uto
    Motherfff..

I like to post
    Would also like to point out that there are some players that seemingly fit no categories:

Stratocastle, Octobrev, Makka, Blizz etc etc.

Veteran
    I highly disagree with you about 'yanks'

Postaholic
    penix has no epeen? Such odd...
    RoughKnecS

--> Want art? <--
    --> Or see Tadpole banners? <--

The industrys greats

** Cerberus ** Killah ** Shadowheart **

Thread Information