Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Choice

Regular

Dragon Choice

Is it ever a good idea to use a dragon other than Ruby? If so, in what situation(s)?

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Every war/situation is different. Every dragon has its use. If you're trying to push TM advantage then saph is much better than ruby, for example

Regular
    Or when the enemy T/Ms are just straight up stronger than your own, and a force to be feared?

Emerald for when the enemy has a lot of d-specs and/or a lot of Orcs, to keep their landgrabs lower or kill their defenses if they have too many d-specs?

Ruby if you can push your singles into doubles, or doubles into triples, etc. Or to keep the enemy from breaking a specific subsection of your provs?

But what about Gold? It seems fairly useless throughout. When would you use that one?
    Last edited by tehboomer; 09-06-2016 at 12:52.

Gold can starve KDs etc. I think people use it to finish off a losing KD faster or it could be used with gluttony coverage to starve people of their food supplies. Lower BE means a lot of other things are worse as well. I wouldn't call it useless, maybe outshone by other choices in different situations?
    Age 65 - FreeakStyle - FeyrPlay Alliance Win - Dwarves Stole My Bike
    Age 66 - FreeakStyle - #1 Honor & Warring Kingdom - Making FS Great Again
    Age 67 - BeastBlood - #1 Honor Human(Prince) - Steve from Walmart
    Age 68 - BeastBlood ft OldSchool - #1 Honor Kingdom & Avian - We Are All Feyr
    Age 69 - Ancient Spartans - #1 Kingdom in The History of Utopia - Clever Use of Words
    Age 70 - Ancient Spartans - #1 Land(25325 acres) & NW Faery - Spartan of Redeeming Qualities

Regular
    Aye, I suppose useless was a bit harsh. And food reduction is really the only significant thing I could come up with as well. Sure, it'll lower income a bit, rune production, etc..but that amount would be so incredibly insignificant that you'd be better off just sending a Ruby to break them more easily or what have you.

That said, you make a great point. Using it as a final blow could be devastating after a long war. If you're on IRL day 4 of a war and it comes down to attrition, a Gold definitely could, as you said, starve them out.

Well, before Ruby was buffed I think the BE reduction on Forts had more of an impact on TM defense than an actual Ruby dragon, guess Ruby was sort of useless.
    Age 69 - Ancient Spartans - #1 Kingdom in The History of Utopia - Clever Use of Words
    Age 70 - Ancient Spartans - #1 Land(25325 acres) & NW Faery - Spartan of Redeeming Qualities

Ruby if you can stay UB with it ...

Odd of Absalom

Beastblood is #oddplay

˙ppo ǝɹɐ noʎ
    #odd
    Odd is a three-edged sword.
    ( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)

Regular
    What is "UB"?

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Unbreakable

I like to post
    Quote Originally Posted by tehboomer View Post
    Is it ever a good idea to use a dragon other than Ruby? If so, in what situation(s)?
    Gold: Starvation, AW-runs
    Sapphire: General op-advantage (facilitating core-to-core NS)
    Ruby: Create unbreakables. Unbreakable = cannot be broken straight-with an attack other than Conquest. There are different types of UB though.
    Emerald: Very effective if running Orcs vs an UD Kingdom. UDs usually don't run hospitals, so the extra casualties (which sync with Orc casualties) drops their defense very quickly (7-8%/hit). Same time the UDs will have less incoming so will desert more post-chain. Can also be used against avian-KDs to kill their off faster.

Only nub UD don't run hosp in war though.

I like to post
    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsMatija View Post
    Only nub UD don't run hosp in war though.
    That's about 95% of the server. Anyways, people who take UD over Orc are nub already :/

Forum Fanatic
    Ruby is generally useful, not just for making unbreakables.

Whatever you send, you have to ask yourself how that dragon is going to help your offensive goals, and send it at the right time (otherwise the dragon is slain before you get any use out of it). Ruby is straightforward, send just before your wave of hits, kingdoms either tank and suffer -10% ME or slay and lose defense anyway. Generally you're picking dragons for offensive goals rather than defensive ones, at least at first.

Gold is probably the worst dragon for finishing off a weakened opponent. Ruby or Sapphire is loads better.

Regular
    All right, now I have other questions unrelated to dragons due to the conversation here.

I haven't been running Hospitals in war, and the defense losses are ridiculous.

So, I'm curious, what is a decent general-purpose war build strat?

I've been running some variation of this:
    10% Homes
    25% Banks
    10% TGs
    15% Rax
    10% Guilds
    5% Towers
    10% WTs
    10% Stables
    5% Dungeons

As an active heavy attacker, I get chained often. Also, UD/WH. How could this be better optimized?

You don't need banks in most war situations, homes are iffy, dungeons 1-2% is enough -> swap those for more WTs TGs Rax Hosp, whichever you prefer the most, also if your KD is running GS get those as well, Forts might be good too.

Thread Information