Thread: how was this game built

how was this game built

how did mhuel design this game? what code is involved?
    i want to create a game for kids with a similar concept of money updating their account every hour. advice would be reallllly appreciated!

Post Fiend
    If I was to guess, it'll probably involve some web design for the front end and database management for the back end. It will be possible to schedule some kind of update function that is called every hour if you have a server running as well.

Also if this is the first time you're making a game, I would highly recommend starting with a single player demo first. You can scale it up for multiplayer later once you have a better understanding of how to design and implement your game idea. Unity is a good game engine for beginners and it has a lot of useful tutorials for you to follow if you wish to learn.

Originally it was php with some flat file system as a DB. That was about 18 years ago though.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

I heard it was written in Perl.
    Corruption is a serious impediment to civil liberties.

Hmm, I thought it was php, can't seem to find the blog about it though
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|

Ah ha!

For the technically curious, the existing site is comprised of an extensive amount of Delphi code, modified from the original Earth:2025 codebase. As happens to programs over time, it has become ever more complex as the years went by. Architecturally, it consists of CGI modules running in the IIS webserver, with no separation of data, presentation or game logic. Player and kingdom data is stored as Delphi records serialized into text files (i.e., there is no DBMS). Pre-CSS style HTML is embedded directly into the application code.

Postaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Ah ha!

For the technically curious, the existing site is comprised of an extensive amount of Delphi code, modified from the original Earth:2025 codebase. As happens to programs over time, it has become ever more complex as the years went by. Architecturally, it consists of CGI modules running in the IIS webserver, with no separation of data, presentation or game logic. Player and kingdom data is stored as Delphi records serialized into text files (i.e., there is no DBMS). Pre-CSS style HTML is embedded directly into the application code.
    Delphi is basically Pascal, and it's cool because it can use assembly language to manipulate hardware. It used to be easy to update with it's rapid programming structure. I also think it may have been the precursor to C, but I'm not sure.
    I don't know much about this stuff, but good luck to you, and it sounds like a great idea (your idea for a kid's game).

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Ah ha!

ah so its Delphi. never knew. the folks who said perl might have thought it was that, because of the CGI modules (perl has that too). Delphi fits into to that.
    Last edited by freemehul; 09-08-2016 at 16:08.
    Corruption is a serious impediment to civil liberties.

Forum Fanatic
    We built this city on rock and roll.

whoa!! trying to debug this when odd things start to happen must be a nightmare, also the code walkthrough for new developers must be .. interesting ?

Whatever happened to Mehul?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    Whatever happened to Mehul?
    He sold Utopia and started a coffee-shop somewhere in Texas. Domincan Joe i think its named.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Rumor has it he's lurking in the depths of utopia still

Thread Information