"Japanese history might call it terrorism." (referencing Dolittle) - http://forums.utopia-game.com/showth...mp-2016/page13

[Disclaimer - slightly drunk American, so reality distortion field in full effect]

Afaik the Japanese are unlikely to ever apply that label to anything done in WW2, sine they're still hung up on the damage the perceive themselves to have done. Even worse, there's some pretty heinous stuff went down on their watch, so when it comes to labeling they'll be particularly gun-shy. Plus the Pax Americana actually worked fairly Roman-ly on them. (Pax - beat it till it stops fighting back.)

They've got some other weird quirks that crop up from time to time due to that era. Ever wonder why the really black, world ends (for real, not just threat of it), type anime is mostly coming out of Japan? They've stared into the abyss...

Fun tidbit - afak, 'tis only within the last decade that Japan's military has been allowed to fire in anger before they'd already suffered casualties. Think about it - you almost surely need some of your own people *dead* before you'll consider firing back?!

Germany has some serious hangups too - and 'tis producing some tidal waves now, while it'd mostly laid dormant for a while. At root the Brexit went though cause Merkel *will not back down* on refugees and open borders. A lot of that is due to her personal experience in the cold war, but some of that is the shame and dishonor still felt by Germany for Hitler. For a long time there's been little or no (public) honor in serving in the German component of the Nato forces.

Now - I'm too close to the action over in the US to make a truly fair assessment... but ever wonder why we are such arrogant {jerks}? We won, and won big, and almost made it look easy once you gloss it all over with some time and self serving narrative. At the same time, we're running scared from the fact that we're the only country to ever use nukes. (You want a sign of how deep the warp is? I agree with that decision, and hope I'd have the guts to do it again if it ever was like that again. And yes, I know it risks killing us all.)

BTW, now that I think of it in terms of what type of utopia kingdom I'd like to play, I'd pick the hangups of the UK - got the **** kicked out of them, hung in there, and shear grit pulled it out in the end. Pre-Brexit, of course, I'd want nothing to do with them after that stunt. Worse than Drumpf (er, Trump, where'd that come from again?), and that takes some doing. (Irony is I love about 60% of the guy's style, and only hate maybe 20% of it - while my vote goes to someone who I usually think makes dead fish look good on style and honesty points. The cross of voting rationally, bleh.)

So, lets have some other drunken quasi-philosophical spewings, eh? (New England - 'tis like ya'll, no valid other word for it, so I'll steal it.)

Side notes:

Ya, I know cold war thinking somewhat. Yes, I am too young. I just read a lot. Seriously, my first thought on 9/11 was if *Worcester* was safe - the assumption being nukes might fly. Concluded if Worcester was being Nuked, was no point in surviving it, was the end of the world. Serious staring into the abyss there.

Also, I actively vote for sleezebags under the US's current system. 'Tis what's needed to get {stuff} done. Never seen credible electoral reform yet, so hold my nose and vote the party line, eh? Hate Burnie btw - knew from day one he was lying about universal healthcare (probably to himself as well, but that office does't get a pass merely for self delusion) and a few others were nearly as bad. Maybe I'm on path to the dark (R) side or something, but Hillary's type of dishonesty is tolerable and about the best we'll get from our current system, while Bernie is actively offensive to me.

Also - brandy is also 80 proof, so slightly drunk is an epic understatement by now. See if you can spot where the ice creme - whipped creme vodka - brandy mix kicked in. Nothing for the winner though, I honestly don't know myself lol. Now time for another drink! (And, since the thread is heavy, I'll raise said glass to my maternal grandfather - for a number of years quite alcoholic. No, not a plea for help, my therapist will be back in about a month, and I've got good reason. If I'm still getting smashed *regularly* by end of age 69 though, someone get me help.)